Why foreigners should not be worried by the new modification to the revenue code in Thailand

31 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

It all comes down to implementation.  It would be easy for the government to decree a 15% withholding on all incoming foreign deposits be collected by banks.

At the end of the tax year, it will permitted to apply for reimbursement.  But then what sort of documentation will be required to "prove" the imported funds were previously taxed?

Sorry to say but that is ridiculous. Nowhere else does this happen transfer money and it gets taxed.

The bank will report foreigners account to the RD, balance and deposits, that is already part of CRS/FATCA, they have the residential address and can contact the home country to get information if tax was paid or not.

If tax is owed, the onus is on the resident to fill in a tax form and submit it with all evidence. If the resident does not submit a tax return then the Revenue dept will then decide if tax is owed or not and it wants to take money out of the tax payers  bank account. Of course laws are needed for all this as it exists in other countries.

Anyway, this tax business is more focused on Thai/Foreign businesses and wealthy people moving large sums of money.

Its all a big hullabaloo about nothing, there is nothing yet definite, the tax season for next year is not even started, RD and the big accountants still have a lot of details to iron out.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

And what would happen to money that is earned in another country but is tax exempt due to the laws of that country?  In America, Government Bonds and Disability compensation, for example.

What about Roth IRAs, which are taxed on the original amount but not on the gains?

Somehow the OP makes me more concerned, not less lol

Obviously, those are the laws in that country. One comes to reside in Thailand it is Thailand laws. One will have to get the Thai and authorities of other countries to update/amend their DTA to exclude, clarify the incomes to tax. How does one think it works in other countries?

There is nothing to concern, the tax season is not even started.

Edited by freeworld

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I make property rent, bank interest and shares income in Australia. No way will I be telling Thailand Tax office of this income like the OP says to do as how would they ever know? No chance!

Some are even speculating all foreign bank transfer remittances are going to be taxed by the banks, haha.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I make property rent, bank interest and shares income in Australia. No way will I be telling Thailand Tax office of this income like the OP says to do as how would they ever know? No chance!

The problem is that they might/can look at your money transfers into Thailand.  How they look at those bank transfers is unknown - in the past they just let it go.  Anyone bringing in a large amount of money after Jan 1 2024 is now under the threat of being 'looked at' and then asked where did those funds come from - and then to prove it was not taxable income. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The problem is that they might/can look at your money transfers into Thailand.  How they look at those bank transfers is unknown - in the past they just let it go.  Anyone bringing in a large amount of money after Jan 1 2024 is now under the threat of being 'looked at' and then asked where did those funds come from - and then to prove it was not taxable income. 

So? and why is it threat?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I disagree with several of the points/claims made by the OP.

IMO there is no need to lodge a tax return in Thailand, unless you have an income that is 'taxable' in Thailand and you have to pay tax. Just because you are a tax resident does not mean you have to lodge a tax return.  Is the OP claiming that every Thai citizen currently lodges a tax return every year. No they do not - because the majority of Thais do not earn over 150K Baht per year (and many do not bother).

IMO unless a tax resident or citizen is required to pay taxes, then there is no need to lodge a tax return.

Yes I could be wrong - but if Thailand demands all Expat tax residents who do not work here (those retired or married without a work permit) have to lodge a tax return, but not all Thais have to lodge a tax return who are working, that will result in a wave of complaints about racial discrimination. Mine will be one of the first they get.

Oh my goodness, how did racial discrimination enter the conversation.

Many Thais do not submit tax returns because many are exempted by their tax threshold.

• Like 2