Why foreigners should not be worried by the new modification to the revenue code in Thailand

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How on Earth will they be able to keep up with P2P transfers on exchanges like Binance?

It's easy to get crypto debit cards from other countries and use them in Thailand or any country around the world. 

It's again more about the legal aspect, if it would be a criminal thing to hide it, and even they just find 1 dollar, it's not the tax of the dollar you worry about but the jail time consequences. 

Doubt any countries let alone banks or other providers would just start sharing all their info with Thailand. I mean, I doubt as much that the average western country looks into accounts in Cambodia or wherever, if it's not insane amounts.

However technology and new money systems might change this within a decade. That is what one should fear hiding money while having to pay tax. I prefer legally not paying tax / minimizing it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will affect wealthy Thais, e.g. who have foreign capital gains or foreign income (except W2) in the US for which they don't pay taxes in the US assuming their own governments will tax them. However, earlier they could relocate the prior years gains into the current year without paying any taxes in the US or Thailand. That loophole is closed. As an American or permanent resident, I assume you pay your taxes in the US for your worldwide income and there will be no further taxes. For other nationalities, I have no idea. If they are already avoiding paying taxes in any countries will be subject to Thailand taxes. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Thanks 1

This is many years ago now.

One year I had brought some income into Thailand which I thought was subject to tax in Thailand.

I went to my nearest tax office, quite friendly people, and they did not understand what I wanted to do. This was in about October month so they looked at my bank book with incoming deposits and suggested to sum up the whole lot of deposits and fill in the tax form and pay tax. I said no thats not how it works, I want to pay tax only on the income I had earned and brought into the country the same year it was earned and explained again. They were confused so sent me to another tax office where I spoke to a manager. They understood, took copies of all the relevant doc, i handed it over to them and they filled in the tax forms and I ended up paying something like 400 baht tax.

All in all it was quite a pleasant experience and nothing like the suspicion, grilling and unfriendly attitude of tax people in my home country.

Edited by freeworld

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The answer to your question is obvious @dingdongrb and it's already been answered:

'The pensioner doesn't need to instigate further actions'.

Whilst one is fit and healthy and has their smarts about them, transferring their own pensions from abroad is easy. I've been doing it myself for years.

But I've always had this thought in the back of my mind. "What if something happens rendering me unable carry out those tasks. How does my wife get hold of the funds that we need to live on?''

And that is why I have now switched to direct payments into my Krungsri account. I'm 77 yrs now, still fit and healthy in body & mind, but one never knows what's lurking just around the corner.

The modern buzz words would be 'future proofing' I guess.

If I have any health issues or die or for some reason locked out of my USA account my better half could use my BKK Bank debit card and draw funds from the 800k I keep there for my retirement extension.

Besides that I do have extra funds (above the 800k) in my BKK Bank there just for any unexpected emergencies (like the 160k THB I used last year for my stent operation).

'Prepare for the unexpected'.........duhhhhhh, it's not rocket science.

'Old age' should not be a reason.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Not everyone is in your 'lofty' position! Try being a little less arrogant and show some respect for other people's situations.

If folks cannot prepare and fend for themselves then maybe they should not have ventured far from mommy's skirt. Bye...Have a great day..... Cheers!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's again more about the legal aspect, if it would be a criminal thing to hide it, and even they just find 1 dollar, it's not the tax of the dollar you worry about but the jail time consequences. 

Doubt any countries let alone banks or other providers would just start sharing all their info with Thailand. I mean, I doubt as much that the average western country looks into accounts in Cambodia or wherever, if it's not insane amounts.

However technology and new money systems might change this within a decade. That is what one should fear hiding money while having to pay tax. I prefer legally not paying tax / minimizing it.

Indeed, and there's a huge difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance. 

Many I speak to seem to think crypto is under the radar, when in fact it is the opposite, every transaction is there on the blockchain. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

He should certainly have a back-up plan if Plan A should fail for any reason.

Off topic ...however many farang here think their long term partner/wife can use ATM to withdraw funds upon farang checking out.

Get away it?  Perhaps.

illegal? Yes 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Off topic ...however many farang here think their long term partner/wife can use ATM to withdraw funds upon farang checking out.

Get away it?  Perhaps.

illegal? Yes 

My wife would legally get everything in my bank accounts if I die.

5 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

tax my social security,

Social Security is explicitly excluded from Thai taxation under the Thai - US DTA.   Note, however, that every country's DTA has its own rules for handling of other types of state and private pensions (I think the Brits are particularly unhappy about this).

> Speak English nationwide at a large percentage, 

You say that as though it's a good thing ????

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Get away it?  Perhaps.

illegal? Yes 

Of course it is illegal.

Nonetheless, the alternative of incurring legal fees (maybe 30k) to obtain Probate makes the ATM - or preferably online banking route - more attractive.

Personally, and fully accepting the illegality, I would say bo11ocks to illegality - my partner is the legal beneficiary of those funds (there is backup Will to that effect) and getting access to them in the most expedient and cost-effective is my major concern.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1