Thailand Wrestles with the Ripple Effects of Cannabis Decriminalisation

webfact

48 minutes ago, connda said:

Again - any argument used to justify the criminalization of marijuana can also be used to justify the criminalization of alcohol.  So I find the anti-ganja temperance union who bash recreational marijuana on one hand while downing whiskey in the other.

The hypocrisy is astounding.  If you want to see the type of power freaks you are dealing with, look no further than Orwell and Huxley.  In Orwell's 1984 the plods were rationed a small amount of alcohol to keep them compliant; and Huxley's Brave New World everyone was offered "Soma" which were numerous classes of drugs to take the plods drudgery away when they were not working. 

Obviously, we have Orwell's brand of power-freaks seeking to recriminalize marijuana.
If they are going to do that, criminalize alcohol too.  Pathetic.

I don't know about alcohol, but if tobacco had only just become a thing today, or in recent times, it couldn't be sold legally (when it's so well known how harmful it is).

• Like 2

Thai people lower end like the farmers are losing out already to foreign influence from the likes of California and  the corrupt police and officials enabling the imports of high end weed. Also plenty is being shipped here then rerouted to the countries like the UK. Weed is massive in the UK and still illegal.  Plenty in Cali have become multimillionaires from UK importation.  Now think of how many weed shops have popped up and high end ones as well, even outnumbering 7/11’s…are they full of people buying weed?  

My guess is it’s all a front for importation licences for high end weed and bulk buying in Thailand of lower shelf and it’s being shipped off to the likes of the UK. This is all speculation of course.

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, and no. I really do not give a hoot if you want to use it, I do not use it myself. My issue is the smell, after two years stuck in Blackpool UK, I felt sick most if the time as the populace stunk of it. So, If you want to do it up a mountain or 100 mt downwind of me then go ahead, its your lungs.

LOL.... I do sympathise with that but to clarify (IMO) the naturally sweet smelling Moroccan et al you find often on the continent, as compared with that overpowering SKUNK in and around London... repulsive. It was never like that back in the day. In fairness skunk I have not caught a whiff of, in Thailand. 

Edited by Arthur Mullard
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, and no. I really do not give a hoot if you want to use it, I do not use it myself. My issue is the smell, after two years stuck in Blackpool UK, I felt sick most if the time as the populace stunk of it. So, If you want to do it up a mountain or 100 mt downwind of me then go ahead, its your lungs.

Hows the Impeachment going????   been awfully quiet ever since I asked you to back up your BS

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Do u want to ban cheese stores to - most of them smell quite a lot ????

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, paddypower said:

Pattaya News - similar to '' The Bangkok Post - current news'' :you will find both in the thesaurus, right under ''oxymoron''.

Confused? or am I swimming out of my depth? is there any news coming out of Pattaya, or Bangkok for that matter? we expats are stuck with the fact that there is no real news to read, in Thailand. That is why it is called an oxymoron:  a figure of speech that combines contradictory words with opposing meanings, like ''you are clearly confused“ “deafening silence,” or “organized chaos.” cheers

2 hours ago, TheTightArseTraveller said:

Worst decision ever to decriminalise it.  So obvious what would happen in poorer areas that already struggle with alcoholism.

please tell us what happened in the "poorer areas" ?  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimboB4 said:

Right Adam from where? UK or Australia? It’s usually old people from these two countries who hate it. 

Oops I got it wrong, despite it saying "by Adam Judd" the article was written by this chap:

"Tom Sinclair

https://pembrokeshire-herald.com/

Tom is the editor of https://pembrokeshire-herald.com/ and a frequent guest writer for us as he often visits Thailand and enjoys the culture and history."

Sorry, I didn't click on the link to the Pattaya News article like I normally would, the tone of the first few paragraphs put me off and now I know why ????

7 hours ago, roietfortress said:

just curious if Adam Judd, who lives and works in Pattaya, writes negative articles about all of the much worse things going on in his own city? excessive alcohol consumption, prostitution, bribery, blackmail, theft, murder, and of course meth in the backroom of every bar.

cannabis is harmless. prohibitionists are drunk clowns.

#

Ha ha I thought it was by Adam Judd as well because I didn't bother to click on the link but if you do you'll see it's written by some chap named Tom Sinclair from Pembrokeshire (whatever that is ????)

4 hours ago, TheTightArseTraveller said:

Worst decision ever to decriminalise it.  So obvious what would happen in poorer areas that already struggle with alcoholism.

And what has happened? nothing last time I checked

• Thumbs Up 1

First I have to say all the Weed shops don't look good to Family Tourists and given all the "other" entertainment available quite openly it will not encourage them to holiday in Thailand. For myself i just get tired with the virtue signaling weed heads who go on and on about how much better it is for you and how, unlike alcohol, it doesn't kill people. The sale to adults should be allowed but with a restriction on how much you can buy in any given 30 days. A "weed licence" should be available at a reasonable price from clinics and hospitals with an electronic record of how much credit is left and have the purshaser's ID number or passport number as a means of stopping people having multiple record cards. I am not against dope but I believe it encourages people to try other drugs.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Datsun 1200 said:

The previous Govt issued 6,000 Cannabis Dispensary licenses, They will all need to be compensated, as is totally legal what they have set up.

The new Govt won't want to pay, and it will remain available.

IH

They don't need to be compensated, because they made a risky decision to open when the health minister said not to sell recreational cannabis.

20 hours ago, Datsun 1200 said:

"Nothing on its devastating effects particularly on youths?"  Data please or this is just propaganda

Fast Facts

• In 2022, 30.7% of 12th graders reported using marijuana in the past year, and 6.3% reported using marijuana daily in the past 30 days.1
  • Compared to teens who do not use marijuana, teens who use marijuana may be less likely to graduate from high school or college.2,3
  • Research shows that marijuana use during teen years can harm the brain.4,5

How Does Marijuana Use Affect Teen Health?

The teen brain is actively developing and continues to develop until around age 25. Marijuana use is associated with increased risk for the following issues4:

• Harm to brain health. Marijuana use beginning in teen years or younger may affect brain development which may impair thinking, memory, and learning.
  • Mental health issues. Marijuana use has been linked to depression and social anxiety in adults.4 People that use marijuana are more likely to develop temporary psychosis (hallucinations, not knowing what is real, and paranoia) and long-lasting mental disorders, including schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is a type of mental illness where people might see or hear things that aren’t there. The association between marijuana and schizophrenia is stronger in people who start using marijuana frequently at an early age.10
  • Impaired driving. Driving while impaired by marijuana is dangerous and illegal. Marijuana affects reaction time, coordination, and concentration—skills required for safe driving.11
  • Increased potential for marijuana use disorder. People who begin using marijuana before the age of 18 are at increased risk of developing marijuana use disorder.12

Marijuana and Youth: The Impact of Marijuana Use on Teen Health and Wellbeing | Featured Topics | Marijuana and Public Health (cdc.gov)

I am sure you know better than the CDC, pfft

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, roietfortress said:

just curious if Adam Judd, who lives and works in Pattaya, writes negative articles about all of the much worse things going on in his own city? excessive alcohol consumption, prostitution, bribery, blackmail, theft, murder, and of course meth in the backroom of every bar.

cannabis is harmless. prohibitionists are drunk clowns.

#

He would be asked to tone it down, ie report fewer articles that put the place in a bad light. AS happened to a prior news 'mogul'......

Your opinion on cannabis is simply that.... prohibitionists, I suspect avoid alcohol too, so would be unlikely to be drunk.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, mizzi39 said:

Cannabis in Thailand is NOT going anywhere. Even if Thailand put cannabis back on the narcotics list  and legalized it for medical use only,  there are so many good strains floating around the kingdom now. The black market will flourish (which is obviously counter productive given the fact that it's a cash crop that should benefit the economy).

No matter what happens in the near future, gone are the days of only scoring (mostly)  s**t brick weed, so that's a positive.  

Wake up Thailand! Look at the handful of countries where cannabis is legal. Try to integrate some of the laws and policies set up to control and regulate the legal market.  

On another note, can't these news sites find a better stock photo?

cannabis2.jpg

True, as they say, the gennie is out of bottle and there's no way to put him back! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Thai people lower end like the farmers are losing out already to foreign influence from the likes of California and  the corrupt police and officials enabling the imports of high end weed. Also plenty is being shipped here then rerouted to the countries like the UK. Weed is massive in the UK and still illegal.  Plenty in Cali have become multimillionaires from UK importation.  Now think of how many weed shops have popped up and high end ones as well, even outnumbering 7/11’s…are they full of people buying weed?  

My guess is it’s all a front for importation licences for high end weed and bulk buying in Thailand of lower shelf and it’s being shipped off to the likes of the UK. This is all speculation of course.

You left out "pure"...

As in pure speculation..

• Like 1