Flights from China to Thailand almost full amid visa waivers, Thai Airways says

webfact

1 hour ago, SmartyMarty said:

Colombia has a very similar climate to Chiang Mai and cost of living is also close to Thailand. Good infrastructure in the major cities but outside of these it rapidly deteriorates.

Big place and many climates. Bogota is actually quite cold during it's winter. Where in Colombia have you lived? What's been your experience there?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Sounds like the Philippines. Armed guards at all banks. First time I ever visited a place where guards with shot guns stood out front of each bank.

They not only stood at banks, but at about every multinational business, including Mc Donald's and H&M

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Food in South America blows.  Chile has good, cheap, Haas avocados in abundance.  They even put them in hot dogs.  Place is a dead ringer for California.  Vina Del Mar looks like Santa Monica and Valparaiso looks like San Francisco.  No real falang community, however.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Thailand is getting to be less and less attractive as a retirement destination than ever before. Sigh.... I don't like to stereotype people or sound prejudice but I find most Chinese and Russians ill mannered, loud and unsympathetic to Thal culture. Thai's will put up with this for the cash... But me? I'm looking at alternate destinations.. South America is a contender.

same as the illmannered american, australian and european boomers in th

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, LALes said:

Food in South America blows.  Chile has good, cheap, Haas avocados in abundance.  They even put them in hot dogs.  Place is a dead ringer for California.  Vina Del Mar looks like Santa Monica and Valparaiso looks like San Francisco.  No real falang community, however.

You mean Valparaiso has loads of homeless (sorry, "unhoused") on the streets defecating, urinating and shooting up,  and daylight robbery is....er....daylight robbery?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

Yeah sure, South America is the place to be.

I've been in Costa Rica, considered the safes country in S America, and when we arrived at the guest house in San Jose, which we had booked online, it had a heavy steel entrance gate.

The reception told us, you take key of the entrance door with you. If you forget the key, after 10pm you can ring the bell as much as you want, but nobody will open.

Every second street block there would be a security guard all night with a big long wooden stick.

McD had armed guards with bulletproof vest, in the middle of the day.

I only can imagine how the rest of S America is

Costa Rica and Panama have a similar security feel to them -relatively safe - but Guatamala, Honduras, El Salvador and Belize in Central America felt much more dangerous to me. I didn't go to Nicaragua.  Mexico looks safe but isn't. So does Brazil.  Colombia I was hassled on the streets a lot.  Cuba is quite safe but no retirement options I don't think. 

The availability of flights is a serious limitation to this policy of being so reliant on low end Chinese tourism for economic growth while booting out the long stay well heeled expats and regular retirees with unfriendly tax policies. By the time there is sufficient flight capacity the visa waiver will be over.  It's only for 5 months.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Sounds like the Philippines. Armed guards at all banks. First time I ever visited a place where guards with shot guns stood out front of each bank.

philippines are a safe place , very safe place compare to most SA countrys.

the SA countrys was very bad 20-30 years ago , and today most are more worse

Columbia as an exception , 20 year ago it was  the most unsafe and for normal touris not travelable , today its just unsafe as  the rest , but thats a milestone improvment

i speak perfectly spanish , but there was never the idee to settle there.  you must be very poor , or very rich in this countrys ( protected by guards or so poor that they cant take anything) , the middle is in the worst situation

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

They not only stood at banks, but at about every multinational business, including Mc Donald's and H&M

Same years ago in Hong Kong but inside the bank with shotguns.  The message loud and clear was "one false move and everybody gets it, guilty or not!"

• Haha 2