Can Honda wave 110i use tubeless tire without tube inside the cast wheel?

rogerlu

i bought a Honda wave 110i 6 months ago. i bought the cast wheel model because i though the tires on cast wheel are tubeless. 

today i went to bike shot and change my front tire from stock brand "vee rubber" to Michellin, i suddently found there is a tube inside my old tire. 

and the guy who was changing my tire still use the tube inside my new tire. 

is this really necessay to put a tube inside a tubeless tire on Wave 110i? 

On 10/4/2023 at 9:02 AM, rogerlu said:

i bought a Honda wave 110i 6 months ago. i bought the cast wheel model because i though the tires on cast wheel are tubeless. 

today i went to bike shot and change my front tire from stock brand "vee rubber" to Michellin, i suddently found there is a tube inside my old tire. 

and the guy who was changing my tire still use the tube inside my new tire. 

is this really necessay to put a tube inside a tubeless tire on Wave 110i? 

Wheels on tubeless tyres and tubed tyres are different, the well patterns are different to take tubeless tyres.

All Waves are tubed tyres  no matter what the tyre is.

Cast wheels are the same as wire spoked wheels.

• Like 1

it's not supposed to as the bead for tubed tyres are different, if the wheel was made for tubed, but doesn't stop people from putting tubeless on, plenty of conversion kit with valve that screws into existing hole, some use valves from cars but that'll require enlarging of the hole in the rims to fit, 

On 10/10/2023 at 2:40 AM, digbeth said:

no pinch flats, easier to patch with plug than tube

If you have a nail/screw,sticking out of the tyre easy to repair,but if you can not see the hole the tyre will have to come off.

One thing most certainly, less pinch flats,about the main cause of flats in bike tyres, low tyre pressure, pinches the tyre, or called not checking tyre pressure every 7-10 days.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:20 AM, brianthainess said:

Why what are the advantages?

A plug can be easily inserted on the side of the road within 5 minutes. Many people around who can do that. Good luck with a tube. First gotta find someone that can take the tire on/off and either patch the tube or has a replacement tube. While it's easier with a Honda Wave it's increasingly more difficult with some other bikes.

Edited by eisfeld

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

A plug can be easily inserted on the side of the road within 5 minutes. Many people around who can do that. Good luck with a tube. First gotta find someone that can take the tire on/off and either patch the tube or has a replacement tube. While it's easier with a Honda Wave it's increasingly more difficult with some other bikes.

Plugs are a Temporary fix only. Tubes are  never patched here TTBOMK never seen it done, new tube is always fitted.

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Plugs are a Temporary fix only. Tubes are  never patched here TTBOMK never seen it done, new tube is always fitted.

I had a tube patched more than once on my Africa Twin during travels across Thailand because they didn't have spare tubes at the right size (21inch front not so common). Was never easy to find someone who could do it when I needed it and the bike had to go to that shop. Nobody disputes that plugs are supposed to be temporary but at least it's quite easy to find someone with a plug and a pump no matter if it's a small scooter like a Wave or a 400kg chunk of metal. Tubes are preferable in some offroad scenarios where bending a rim is a real possibility. Other than that I'd take tubeless any time.

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I had a tube patched more than once on my Africa Twin during travels across Thailand because they didn't have spare tubes at the right size (21inch front not so common). Was never easy to find someone who could do it when I needed it and the bike had to go to that shop. Nobody disputes that plugs are supposed to be temporary but at least it's quite easy to find someone with a plug and a pump no matter if it's a small scooter like a Wave or a 400kg chunk of metal. Tubes are preferable in some offroad scenarios where bending a rim is a real possibility. Other than that I'd take tubeless any time.

If I had an Unusual size I'd carry a spare tube.

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If I had an Unusual size I'd carry a spare tube.

Taking the tire off and back on on the side of the road still isn't as easy as just shoving a plug in the hole. You asked what the advantage of a tubeless tire would be. I think you know it.

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Taking the tire off and back on on the side of the road still isn't as easy as just shoving a plug in the hole. You asked what the advantage of a tubeless tire would be. I think you know it.

So do you carry a pump?

• Confused 1