Modest drinker, no p4p, 60k month. Where can my friend afford live?

sidjameson

28 minutes ago, NextG said:

*Baht and if you even believed in what you wrote about, you could have simply expressed the figure in local currency. 
What use is $ to someone whose local currency is something different. 
The income is quoted in Baht and expenses will be in Baht. 
Worse, you wrote neither Baht nor US$. You do know that there are Australians, Canadians, New Zealander’s etc who inhabit this board, don’t you? 
So at least decide on the currency in which you will quote. 

You seem to be the only forum member unable to understand.

In country daily expenses quoted in local "bath."

Foreign transactions, not deducted from the 60K bath budget quoted in foreign current.  Any quote in $ is assumed to be the US kind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How can it be illegal or corrupt when immigration tell you it's their preferred way to do business?

I've never had an IO, tell me they prefer or suggest an agent to me.  I would think that would be their preference, as the agent would eliminate the IO having to deal with idiots every day.

I'm amazed how long it takes, and the amount of conversation they have with some people extending.  I hand them everything, even in the order they put it in.  Only thing they usually say to me, 'let me see the original', which is sitting in front of me.

Shuffle shuffle shuffle, smile (snap), stamp stamp stamp, I did your 90day, 1900 baht, thank you, go have a seat, wait for receipt.

It really doesn't get any easier.

Of course, if I lived in Krung Thep (never), I might use an agent.  Went their once for something simple, forget what, and it took almost all day.  Yea, sign me up for an agent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

You seem to be the only forum member unable to understand.

In country daily expenses quoted in local "bath."

Foreign transactions, not deducted from the 60K bath budget quoted in foreign current.  Any quote in $ is assumed to be the US kind.

Who said that I didn’t understand and why would you imagine that you would know the thoughts of every other forum member?

Once again, any health insurance purchased in Thailand will be in Baht. If purchased from abroad you will have no idea of the cost unless you are writing specifically of the USA. Since you have no idea if the OP’s acquaintance is from the USA, your quote of $2K is just ‘pie in the sky’. 
So if you are giving general advice and the budget is quoted in Baht, then it makes sense to price in Baht doesn’t it?

Totally dopey to change currency mid-quote for no reason. 
I’m sure that you wouldn’t be impressed if a tradesman in Thailand priced some things in Baht and some things in US$ just for his convenience. 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, and I'm surprised AN allows that discussion of illegal/corrupt activity to even exist, as all it does is perpetuate the problem, and make the rest of us suffer, because of the few.

I'm sure some of the same people that complain about the police not doing their job, or the country's corruption issues, are some of the same that use agent, and not just for convenience.

Hypocrisy - the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

Nonsense. You are only upset that they didn’t have to jump through the same hoops that you do. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Why the hell would you want to know that !!!!!!!!!

That is a weirdo question 

You want to know whether a 60 year old man will masturbate !!!!!

No P4P as mentioned by the OP.

Can only assume the pensioner is a <deleted>.

3 minutes ago, NextG said:

Once again, any health insurance purchased in Thailand will be in Baht. If purchased from abroad you will have no idea of the cost unless you are writing specifically of the USA. Since you have no idea if the OP’s acquaintance is from the USA, your quote of $2K is just ‘pie in the sky’.

My expat international insurance purchased from London is priced in dollars.

Valid worldwide, except in the US (and a few other high medical expense zones).

Can you guess what kind of dollars?

Am I expected to convert the copay and coverage amounts into bath, too?

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

No P4P as mentioned by the OP.

Can only assume the pensioner is a <deleted>.

Why do you take an interest in that aspect though .

*Are you going to use prostitutes or masturbate" is a rather personal question and its not socially acceptable to ask other people about it .

Are you an Aussie ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

My expat international insurance purchased from London is priced in dollars.

Valid worldwide, except in the US (and a few other high medical expense zones).

Can you guess what kind of dollars?

Am I expected to convert the copay and coverage amounts into bath, too?

My International insurance purchased in Thailand was quoted in £s. What’s your point?

The budget is in Baht. Quote in Baht. 
Too much for you?

As an aside, your insurance sounds like cr@p. CoPay? Another American who thinks the world revolves around him. 
My insurance has no excess and is valid even in the USA. 
It’s B A H T. ☺️

Edited by NextG
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

Someday, maybe somebody can explain to me how someone else using a dodgy agent makes my life more difficult. 

Personally, I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy, because I generally have no clue why someone may choose that method.  Most of the guys I've known doing it that way were perfectly legal doing monthly border bounces for years, and then suddenly they couldn't.

I am also L&LL, but every time some skint expats has financial problems, 'can't pay hospital bill', because too poor to be in the country, without insurance or oops fund, it reflects bad on the rest of us.

And they start enforcing the rules, strictly.  You hear people crying about they keep moving the goal post for retirement & marriage visas.   Not the case, they're just not as lax as they use to be, because of all the scammers.

Rules for marriage and retirement haven't changed since I've been here, but they enforce them now.  And add what every they like, photos being a new one.  Not sure all provinces do that.

Especially when it comes to marriage visas.  Use to be so easy.  Now they come to your house, want to have photos of you, don't even trust their own staff, as they'll take a photo of themselves at your house number.   Make the wife get a certification that still married every year now.   Don't even trust local office to do them.

Retirement visa are still done locally, and they can use their discretion, though nothing like before.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Wouldn't ask if I already knew...

From what I can gather, most of the dudes in here who use or recommend agents only know of reputable ones, not dodgy ones. So we can only tell you the price for the good agents, should we deign to. Not really inclined to do so as it's been discussed in here ad nauseam.

There was a thread the other day from a BM in Hua Hin who got mixed up with a dodgy agent that messed him around. Perhaps you can find that post and ask the OP how much that dodgy agent cost.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I am also L&LL, but every time some skint expats has financial problems, 'can't pay hospital bill', because too poor to be in the country, without insurance or oops fund, it reflects bad on the rest of us.

And they start enforcing the rules, strictly.  You hear people crying about they keep moving the goal post for retirement & marriage visas.   Not the case, they're just not as lax as they use to be, because of all the scammers.

Rules for marriage and retirement haven't changed since I've been here, but they enforce them now.  And add what every they like, photos being a new one.  Not sure all provinces do that.

Especially when it comes to marriage visas.  Use to be so easy.  Now they come to your house, want to have photos of you, don't even trust their own staff, as they'll take a photo of themselves at your house number.   Make the wife get a certification that still married every year now.   Don't even trust local office to do them.

Retirement visa are still done locally, and they can use their discretion, though nothing like before.

You want to convince us all you describe is because someone couldn’t afford to pay a hospital bill? ????

You protest too much. 

4 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

If you are really a friend advise him to try Malaysia, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam or Cambodia....not Thailand any more, where it's just scams all over and being cheated on a daily basis. Don't belive those saying all is great, they are just either lying or trying to pursuade themselves of some long past era .

Living up to your name it seems…

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

This may be true for the Non-Imm O visa but the insurance requirements for the O-A was changed just last year. I think you have been here a long time so assume you were here prior to the O-A even requiring insurance.  I just wanted to point out that there have been recent changes to one of the retirement visas and some people have been impacted by the change.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

My International insurance purchased in Thailand was quoted in £s. What’s your point?

The budget is in Baht. Quote in Baht. 
Too much for you?

As an aside, your insurance sounds like cr@p. CoPay? Another American who thinks the world revolves around him. 
My insurance has no excess and is valid even in the USA. 
It’s B A H T. ☺️

That's ridiculous.  Annual expat insurance is often not included when posters list their monthly expenses.  It's usually considered outside of the daily budget.

If I'm referencing a product or service bought outside of Thailand with foreign currency, it's pointless to convert to bath.

Everyone on the planet knows what a $ is.

9 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

That's ridiculous.  Annual expat insurance is often not included when posters list their monthly expenses.  It's usually considered outside of the daily budget.

If I'm referencing a product or service bought outside of Thailand with foreign currency, it's pointless to convert to bath.

Everyone on the planet knows what a $ is.

More nonsense. Insurance is an expense and you have NO IDEA as whether it would be excluded from the 60,000 baht budget.  You are just making up silly things as you go along. 
Give it a rest. Quote in Baht. It’s not an American website. Lose the arrogance. Budget is denominated in Baht, so quote costs in Baht. 

38 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

This may be true for the Non-Imm O visa but the insurance requirements for the O-A was changed just last year. I think you have been here a long time so assume you were here prior to the O-A even requiring insurance.  I just wanted to point out that there have been recent changes to one of the retirement visas and some people have been impacted by the change.

The same people I mention, is the reason for that change.  Thank them.

Its the same old question init

Rent or buy what type of accommodation are you happy to put up with, power, Wi-Fi, water and drinking water, service charges, alcohol at home or out in bars or restaurant, you want eat Thai food or western food, transport, 'entertainment'.

Stay home eat at home, drink at home, no rent, 20k a month.

60 k a month easy peasy 10k a month rent and off you go.

• Like 1