Anutin Enforces Stricter Firearm Regulations

webfact

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Will he hand over the guns he owns and relinquish membership of the various shooting ranges that he may be a member of? ????

Why should he when he hasn't asked that of anyone else?  All he has done, according to the OP, is stop the issuance of new firearms permits.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

why do they always wait for a tragedy to happen before they take action?

Thailand - The hub of knee jerk reactions.

Hm,....some country's have mass killings almost on a daily basis and part of a lot/hard talking !?!? nothing happens !!!!

8 hours ago, bob smith said:

Not just take action.. But take stupid drastic actions... This kid for sure did not have any Thai gun permit.. So he was carrying the weapon (which i understand was sold as a pistol used for firing blanks) legally online. No permit needed. So how does stopping the issuance of all permits prevent or make a difference in regards to the actions of one 14 year old kid... I am most certain if a 14 year old wanted a gun permit then he would be refused. 

• Like 2

Regarding Anutin's supposed pronouncement, where was the Thai government following the various prior mass shootings that were even worse???  It's not like they didn't have plenty of prior knowledge that the system wasn't working:

After Third Major Shooting in Four Years, Thailand Debates How to Stem Gun Violence
Updated Oct. 5, 2023

"Thailand has one of the highest rates of gun ownership and gun homicide in Asia, though it pales in comparison to the levels in the United States."

Paul Quaglia, the Bangkok-based chief executive officer of PQA Associates, a risk assessment firm, said he would characterize Thailand’s gun regulation as “nonexistent.”

Of Thailand’s 7.2 million privately owned guns, only six million are registered, according to estimates from gunpolicy.org, which tracks weapons worldwide."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/04/world/asia/thailand-shooting-gun-violence.html

------------------------------------

A massacre that rippled through generations in Thailand

Mar 5, 2023

After the attack — which killed 36 people, 24 of them children — Thai authorities ordered law enforcement agencies to tighten gun ownership rules in Thailand, which has more guns than anywhere else in Southeast Asia.

------------------------------------

Thailand massacre: ex-cop kills 24 children in knife and gun rampage

October 7, 2022

Police identified the attacker as a former member of the force who was dismissed from his post last year over drug allegations and he was facing trial on a drugs charge.

---------------------------------------------

Soldier kills 29 people in Thailand before being shot

February 9, 2020

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, Thailand (Reuters) - A soldier angry over a property deal gone sour killed at least 29 people and wounded 57 in a rampage that spanned four locations in and around the northeastern Thai city of Nakhon Ratchasima before he was shot dead early Sunday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-thailand-shooting-idUKKBN2020T7

Per the NY Times, in Thailand, unlike for civilians here, government employees (including police and military) have NO limits on the amount of guns and ammunition they can buy.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The decision to suspend the issuance of new firearm permits reflects a focused effort to mitigate the risk of similar incidents occurring in the future.

Why don't you stop all motor bike sales and really make a dent in the death toll in Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

Plenty of Massacres before this one.

"List of massacres in Thailand"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Thailand

Lots of them to do with YaBa.  That's a big problem. 

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Plenty of Massacres before this one.

"List of massacres in Thailand"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Thailand

Lots of them to do with YaBa.  That's a big problem. 

A lot of those on that list appear to be politically motivated killings, with a goodly number of them being related to the ongoing insurgency in the South -- as opposed to the more ordinary criminal type of incidents.

1 hour ago, curlylekan said:

This is what governments everywhere do. I've lived many places. All of them operate this way

Criticism of how the LOS handles this is due.

However there's many other countries e.g. the USA which has a far worse record of gun deaths, including large numbers of children but basically no action taken.

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I'd generally agree with you on this ... however, if you read some of the other reports about this, there are ones saying that much more is intended, viz:

"As for shooting ranges, Anutin stated that these must also be controlled, particularly in respect of children who have not yet reached the age of majority, who should not [be allowed] to practise shooting guns. The Department of Provincial Administration is to consider whether people who go to a shooting range must have a permit to carry a gun and people who shoot for sport should deposit their gun[s] at the shooting range, and not be able to take them out [from the range]"

https://www.pptvhd36.com/news/การเมือง/207315

ส่วนสนามยิงปืน นายอนุทิน ระบุว่า ต้องควบคุมด้วย โดยเฉพาะในเด็กที่ยังไม่บรรลุนิติภาวะ ก็ไม่ควรเข้าไปซ้อมยิงปืน และผู้ที่จะเข้าสนามยิงปืน ต้องมีใบอนุญาตพกพาปืนด้วย และผู้ที่ยิงปืนเป็นกีฬา ก็ให้ฝากปืนไว้ที่สนามยิงปืน ไม่สามารถนำออกมาด้วยได้ ก็เป็นแนวทางที่ให้กรมการปกครองนำไปพิจารณา

I can't see any of the above actually happening. The shooting sports world is quite influential and it's impractical to say sport shooters have to leave weapons at a specified range, given that matches are held at different ranges all round the country. And no shooting range is going to want the responsibility of storing hundreds of firearms.

One thing all ranges and organisers of shooting matches could easily do - which would be a visible action towards ensuring only legally-held guns are used at ranges / matches - would be to ask that every gun be accompanied by its permit (since in Thailand you need a permit for each firearm), and to check that the licensed owner of the gun is the person who brought it to the range / match.

That looks like a more detailed write up of the same press briefing by Anutin. Odd that he proposed that only people with carry permits could bring their guns to the range after saying he would not allow any more carry permits to be issued.  Since they are only valid for one year at a time, there will no one left with carry permits to go ranges after a year.  Ranges will obviously not be able to store guns for all their members and whatever storage they could offer would be steel cabinets in non-aircon spaces where guns would rust in the humid Thai climate. This would kill private ranges and sports shooting and create a large number of guns people want to sell without any legitimate buyers.  Many who need cash would attempt to file off serial numbers and sell the guns on the black market, which already happens with guns fraudulently reported lost or stolen and with orphaned inherited guns that don't get transferred to heirs. I think that would happen to the large numbers guns bought through Thai nominees for wealthy Chinese sports shooters who come to Thailand to shoot because they are not allowed even BB guns in China. 

Another interesting issue is the Civil Service Welfare Scheme which is the largest gun importing and retail business in the country run by the Interior Ministry itself. The Interior Ministry is on both sides of the fence as the licensing authority for buyers, sellers and importers.  This is a business, which is exempted from the 30% import duty on guns and is worth multi billions of baht annually, managed in an unaccountable, non-transparent way with plenty of opportunities for graft.  Having only just seized control of the ministry and its purse strings, will Anutin be willing to regulate this prized business out of existence?  Without permits to buy and ranges to practice at, the revenue, profits and commissions of this scheme would shrink dramatically. It is notable that government never responds to calls from the public to rationalize or cancel this scheme.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bob smith said:

What action? This will do nothing to stop the guns that are out there. Plus, remember the two most horrific shootings were done by a serving soldier and a serving police officer. 

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

My missus last evening got knocked off her motor bike, by a drunk Thai, a witness who helped her up, phoned the cops, so the drunk started attacking the witness, she videoed the altercation then showed the cops, he has agreed to pay for the damage, the cops let him on his merry way. TIT, not a pleasant evening, it could have ended very badly, she only went to get milk for me. Luckily my missus didn't get fazed by it.  Strong she is.

I read this several years ago, and kept it. And every time my wife goes out I stand and watch her leave....
I lost a beautiful Lady to a drunk driver in 1993, I never had a chance to say good bye, the last time I saw her she was walking away to buy flowers, I was too worried about missing my plane to go to work and didn't say good bye. Life is not a dress rehearsal.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As is violence in Thailand. At the weekend a man in the next village to mine murdered his sister, and yesterday someone posted on here of a neighbour, a policeman, raping his 12 year old boy servant three times. Neither have made it to this site. How much more do we never hear about?

I wanted to correct what I wrote above, in case someone picks me up on it. The boy had been with the policeman employer for three days and was raped once. Not raped three times. Memory slip.

9 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The ganja guy is now an Interior minister. I remember Anutin as the ganja guy who made Thailand the ganja heaven. I am wondering who would be the brothel guy that made every bar a brothel in Thailand where old foreigners can find their young brides and live ont eh land of smile using "wify visa".

And what visa extension are you on?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The ganja guy is now an Interior minister. I remember Anutin as the ganja guy who made Thailand the ganja heaven. I am wondering who would be the brothel guy that made every bar a brothel in Thailand where old foreigners can find their young brides and live ont eh land of smile using "wify visa".

Wow, quite a tour de force, from gun control to weed, on to brothels to elderly tourists and to spousal visas. You would make a great politician. If you are American, there is an opening for you in Congress. Get in touch with a certain Floridian.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

After the Prayuth administration, we all know how ineffective and insincere this man is. So, don't expect much. 

When you consider where the guns come from (likely most are from the army and police?), does anyone really have the will to stand up and push back against that rot, corruption, immorality, moral degradation, and criminality? 

Thailand has the highest gun ownership and gun related homicide in Asia. Gun control laws are relaxed and non-enforced and government officials can buy guns at deep discount and sell them at a profit. As a result, a black market of firearms thrives, boosted by an arms smuggling trade between Myanmar and Thailand. Of Thailand’s 7.2 million privately owned guns, only six million are registered. Some guns (the one used in the Bangkok shooting) don't need any registrations at all. Gun sellers can sell them to anybody. I remember I was surprised when one of my friends said that she could buy me a gun without registration or paperworks.

Thailand needs more stricter gun control laws and enforcement of existing laws like all laws in Thailand. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1