Hit-and-Run Incident Leaves Family Seeking Justice

webfact

image.jpeg

On the night of October 4th, around 20:35, tragedy struck a family of street vendors when a speeding motorcycle hit them as they were crossing the street, resulting in severe injuries. The incident occurred near Thepparat Road, a known U-turn spot in the Samut Prakan province, amidst mild rain that had left the roads slightly slick and visibility low.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

The family, well-known for selling chili paste in front of a popular supermarket, were returning home after a day’s work. As they neared the median, a motorcycle, seemingly out of nowhere, crashed into the mother, causing grievous injuries. The rider paused only momentarily before speeding away from the scene, leaving the victims traumatized and helplessm reported Siam Rath.

The woman, hurt and in pain, was quickly transported to a medical facility. She faced a team of surgeons to address her severe leg injuries and fractured bones. As medical professionals diligently focused on her recovery, her family, consumed with anxiety, turned to online platforms.

image.jpeg

They appealed for any witnesses or individuals with videos or details of the horrifying incident, aiming to identify and apprehend the person responsible.

The daughter, Wasinee Sangsuy, age 31, highlighted the severity of her mother’s injuries, which included three broken ribs and a shattered wrist, underscoring the urgency for the culprit to be identified and held accountable. Law enforcement is now involved, actively probing into the matter, though the victim's family and supporters are also extensively seeking justice on their own.

image.jpeg

This incident of hit-and-run has sparked widespread digital discussions around the obligations of drivers. It brings to light not just the essential adherence to traffic regulations but also underscores the critical need for compassion and ethical conduct during accident scenarios.In this unsettling silence and lack of accountability, a family’s anguish echoes loudly, awaiting justice, while a community is reminded of the fragility of safety and the imperative of collective vigilance on the road.

Top  Picture: Siam Rath

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-10-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

First question... why are you crossing a highway like that which is unsafe from many perspectives... isn't there a crossover just down the way from there?

Secondly... speeding cars and motorcycles will always win and even with stricter policing will continue to be a menace.

Thirdly... I hope that the person who fled the scene is caught.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

This stupid game of frogger Thai people play when crossing the road. It's so obviously dangerous but they never learn. Just wait until the road is clear and then RUN across the entire damn road until you reach safety. Anything else is just lazy.

If you're in the middle of the road then cars need to negotiate your next move and if anyone makes a wrong choice then you get seriously injured or die.

Besides he hit and run is the motorbike even at fault here? He had the right of way and now some people are just standing in the middle of the road and he didn't know how to respond.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

First question... why are you crossing a highway like that which is unsafe from many perspectives... isn't there a crossover just down the way from there?

This is how dogs cross the road. They slowly creep out and play it sneaky like if no one can see them they won't get hit. I see Thai people do this same move every day.  I've almost hit people myself because it's not clear if they're going to run across or just sit there. It's all so tiresome.

Crossing these types of roads without using an over or underpass is very dangerous in Thailand. Even using zebra crossings there is no guarantee of safety.

Hit and running seems to be common here, maybe jail sentences and publicity thereof would have some impact in changing this culture. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Such empathy. I'm very glad I don't know you.

well sorry but do you know how frustrating it is to be driving and have some person standing in the middle of the road while not knowing if they're going to run across or stay there.

The motorbike may have been following the law exactly but didn't how to react when he came upon them. I've only hit people myself and so I always slow way down when I see people do this, which is another hazard in itself. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

well sorry but do you know how frustrating it is to be driving and have some person standing in the middle of the road while not knowing if they're going to run across or stay there.

The motorbike may have been following the law exactly but didn't how to react when he came upon them. I've only hit people myself and so I always slow way down when I see people do this, which is another hazard in itself. 

Most drivers who are not Thai, and I am sure I can include you among them, would know that you need to brake and steer clear of any obstacle in the road. Some can do one or the other, but not both at the same time. Some others can't even do one of the two.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Most drivers who are not Thai, and I am sure I can include you among them, would know that you need to brake and steer clear of any obstacle in the road. Some can do one or the other, but not both at the same time. Some others can't even do one of the two.

I see people do this every day and it's just normal for them. The women was in the middle of the road and closed the gap too fast while the motorbike thought she was just going to wait him out. There's no hard and fast rule as to what to do in this situation. Come to a full stop? go left, go right? there's no clear answer because you can't read peoples minds.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I posted yesterday evening; my wife got knocked of her M/C by a drunk Thai, a Thai guy helped her up and called the cops, he then started attacking the good Samaritan for phoning the cops, my wife videoed the incident, and showed the cops when they turned up, after he agreed to pay damages, the cops let the drunk get back on his M/C without a helmet, and continue driving off into the night. No breath test Naff all.  And they wonder why the RTP have a bad reputation.