ISRAEL IS AT WAR !

Social Media

Israel rejects ceasefire unless hostages freed and UN warns 'no safe place' in Gaza

With fighting between the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and Hamas about to enter its fifth week, Netanyahu today met US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in Tel Aviv.

The pair discussed, among other things, calls by the US for Israel to agree to a humanitarian pause in its strikes on Gaza to allow for the effective delivery of aid. But Netanyahu said until all hostages were freed, no such agreement could be made.

8 hours ago, NextG said:

I pointed out where the poster had stated that had not seen it here, had done it. 

You completely misunderstand .

People who comment on the Palestine /Israel situation have not been labelled as being anti semantic 

People who have made anti sematic remarks have been labelled as being anti sematic

Comparing Israel to Nazis and comparing Palestinians to holocaust era Jews is considered  to be anti Semitic .

Why do some posters keep going on about Nazis all the time ?

There are some posters who are  taunting supporters of Israel by keep mentioning the Holocaust .

I am agreeing with you , posters should discuss the Israel/Palestinian issue, without going on about the Holocaust/Nazis all the time 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thorgal said:

So explain once and for all why bombing pregnant Palestinian women as retaliation is OK when they carry a boy, but they should not be bombed if they carry a girl?

Your quote :

"The pregnant woman would depend on whether she was having a male child or a female child .

If shes having a Female child, then she shouldnt be bombed "

https://aseannow.com/topic/1308598-israel-is-at-war/page/201/#comment-18461857

That was a sarcastic tongue in cheek reply to a ridiculous question  , the question was something along the lines of  asking whether pregnant woman should be bombed .

They were taking the position that there are pregnant woman in Gaza , so Israel shouldn't bomb Gaza or soemthoibg like that 

It wasn't a literal serious reply .

Rather along the lines of : *If you ask a stupid question, then you get  stupid answer*, type of thing 

13 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Can't play Kissinger, but maybe Cassandra. Cassandra may have been a pessimist, but Cassandra was also correct.

Nobody is going to come out of this a winner. The world has taken sides, with the major powers on opposite ends. China and Russia are voicing support for the Palestinians, while the US remains on Israel's side, but with limitations.

Biden has warned Israel that support for Israel will fade if the death toll of Palestinian civilians keeps rising. Though numbers must depend on reporters who likely have picked a side, the death toll in Gaza is likely approaching 10,000, and reports claim thousands of the dead are children. A bit of a backhanded urge for restraint came from US SecState Blinken, who said he can see his own children in the faces of Palestinian children.

On a US TV show, two former US military men---Adm James Stavridas and Gen Stanley McCrystal---took opposite sides. Adm Stavridas advised restraint as the innocent death toll mounts, while Gen McCrystal said Israel should keep going at Hamas hard, in spite of the loss of innocent life. It might be germane that McCrystal fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and everyone knows how those wars turned out: not good.

Terrorist attacks like 7 October create a new generation of militants. Some 120 innocent Palestinians have been killed in non-Hamas controlled West Bank since 7 Oct, mostly carried out by Israeli settlers. Those killings are nothing short of racist, as the Palestinians were murdered simply because they were Palestinians. Independent sources---who may well be biased, but may also be accurate---reported that 67 Palestinian children were killed in non-Hamas controlled West Bank by the IDF and Israeli settlers this year before 7 Oct. The blood feud is ever present.

With a few thousand children now dead in Gaza from Israeli actions, it is likely a new generation of militants now exist there, too, which does not bode well for peace in the future.

For whatever reason---all are welcome to opinions---the Middle East issue seems to bring out strong feelings on two sides, much more than other slaughter, whether that is the invasion of Ukraine or ethnic battle like the Tutsis and Hutus in Rwanda. All victims might be human beings, but the feelings and opinions are not of equal vehemence, as if some human lives are worth more, or less, than others. Maybe we all go tribal when the victims are 'like us', and only express tacit and fleeting compassion when they're not.

Is a solution even possible? Can a Two State solution ever work? If Israel decides (like some posters in this long thread suggest) that Israel just go all out innocents be damned, will that lose Israel even more support? If the civilian death toll in Gaza continues to rise, will that bring in both regional and international powers---Iran, the Gulf States, Russia and China---additionally on the side of the Palestinians? Will Russia---despite its war in Ukraine---even supply military and intelligence assistance to the Palestinians, as a volatile Middle East is certainly in the interest of a major fossil fuel power like Russia?

There is also an irony that while the world is focused on this current battle, the world is also moving on as if nothing is happening. The price of oil has fallen 12% since right after the attack, and this week the US stock market soared. Maybe that is an indication that many have just had enough of the 75 year "Middle East Issue" and are now just going to live their own lives, wish both sides the best, but simply stop caring.

I appreciate this thread has largely become an echo chamber, and none of us is going to solve anything. I write this just to bring up points and opinions I have seen scanning a wide cross section of sources.

Good, unbiased post. You will be called antisemitic/terrorist lover from the Israeli militants here for looking at both sides.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I was speaking about the posters that celebrated the bombing of the power station , I don't know whether you did or not and if you didn't then I wasn't referring to you .

Hamas use that power supply and Israel is within the rules not to supply that power (if Hamas are using it) , IF Hamas were not using that power, then it would be illegal 

I do not support .HAMAS. HAMAS rule by the gun, so far as I know the majority of the Gaza population do not support HAMAS

Israel has ceased supply of energy to Gaza, which IMO is 'collective punishment - War Crime. Your comments regards the power station are irrelevant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Good, unbiased post. You will be called antisemitic/terrorist lover from the Israeli militants here for looking at both sides.

I don't like this term antisemitic. I don't understand it, and would never use it myself.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I don't like it too, and it is plain ridiculous calling me that; I have close friends who are Jewish and one is a Rabbi, who helps many Jewish people in Thailand!

This is why these brainwashed militants are on ignore. I will not be subjected to insults on a public forum just for pointing out Palestinian rights or saying anything against Israel.

If you look at the whole thread, none of these members have said anything against Israel -  this kind of stubborness, due to their Religion/being American is what exactly what causes aggression in the Israeli area.

I agree.

I've seen footage of Jewish orthodox guys being severely manhandled by security (don't really know who they represent) in Israel. Not so much reported in the west (wonder why), but Jews and Jewish groups all over are saying 'stop the conflict'.

Back to that nonsense term; antisemitism'. It is so all-encompassing as to be ridiculous. But the word has, and is, used to shut people up. To terminate any debate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I agree.

I've seen footage of Jewish orthodox guys being severely manhandled by security (don't really know who they represent) in Israel. Not so much reported in the west (wonder why), but Jews and Jewish groups all over are saying 'stop the conflict'.

Back to that nonsense term; antisemitism'. It is so all-encompassing as to be ridiculous. But the word has, and is, used to shut people up. To terminate any debate.

Same as 'Islamophobia' then

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Can't play Kissinger, but maybe Cassandra. Cassandra may have been a pessimist, but Cassandra was also correct.

Nobody is going to come out of this a winner. The world has taken sides, with the major powers on opposite ends. China and Russia are voicing support for the Palestinians, while the US remains on Israel's side, but with limitations.

Biden has warned Israel that support for Israel will fade if the death toll of Palestinian civilians keeps rising. Though numbers must depend on reporters who likely have picked a side, the death toll in Gaza is likely approaching 10,000, and reports claim thousands of the dead are children. A bit of a backhanded urge for restraint came from US SecState Blinken, who said he can see his own children in the faces of Palestinian children.

On a US TV show, two former US military men---Adm James Stavridas and Gen Stanley McCrystal---took opposite sides. Adm Stavridas advised restraint as the innocent death toll mounts, while Gen McCrystal said Israel should keep going at Hamas hard, in spite of the loss of innocent life. It might be germane that McCrystal fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and everyone knows how those wars turned out: not good.

Terrorist attacks like 7 October create a new generation of militants. Some 120 innocent Palestinians have been killed in non-Hamas controlled West Bank since 7 Oct, mostly carried out by Israeli settlers. Those killings are nothing short of racist, as the Palestinians were murdered simply because they were Palestinians. Independent sources---who may well be biased, but may also be accurate---reported that 67 Palestinian children were killed in non-Hamas controlled West Bank by the IDF and Israeli settlers this year before 7 Oct. The blood feud is ever present.

With a few thousand children now dead in Gaza from Israeli actions, it is likely a new generation of militants now exist there, too, which does not bode well for peace in the future.

For whatever reason---all are welcome to opinions---the Middle East issue seems to bring out strong feelings on two sides, much more than other slaughter, whether that is the invasion of Ukraine or ethnic battle like the Tutsis and Hutus in Rwanda. All victims might be human beings, but the feelings and opinions are not of equal vehemence, as if some human lives are worth more, or less, than others. Maybe we all go tribal when the victims are 'like us', and only express tacit and fleeting compassion when they're not.

Is a solution even possible? Can a Two State solution ever work? If Israel decides (like some posters in this long thread suggest) that Israel just go all out innocents be damned, will that lose Israel even more support? If the civilian death toll in Gaza continues to rise, will that bring in both regional and international powers---Iran, the Gulf States, Russia and China---additionally on the side of the Palestinians? Will Russia---despite its war in Ukraine---even supply military and intelligence assistance to the Palestinians, as a volatile Middle East is certainly in the interest of a major fossil fuel power like Russia?

There is also an irony that while the world is focused on this current battle, the world is also moving on as if nothing is happening. The price of oil has fallen 12% since right after the attack, and this week the US stock market soared. Maybe that is an indication that many have just had enough of the 75 year "Middle East Issue" and are now just going to live their own lives, wish both sides the best, but simply stop caring.

I appreciate this thread has largely become an echo chamber, and none of us is going to solve anything. I write this just to bring up points and opinions I have seen scanning a wide cross section of sources.

You claim major powers are split in their support, and this is true. Then you go on to present it as USA' support being conditioned (probably correct), while not such element attributed to China and Russia's support of the Hamas. In effect, the USA's support is tangible, meaningful, material. China and Russia's support of the Hamas is mostly comprised of limited diplomatic action.

Gaza's casualty reports are effectively controlled by Hamas. Hamas is not in the habit of breaking down such figures, giving much detail about it's own casualties (as in Hamas men, especially not of fighting age), or differentiating between those killed by misfiring Palestinian rockets and other casualties. While I'm sure the death toll is well in the thousands, treating them all as civilian casualties is a choice, not necessarily a fact-based one.

Comparing USA's involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq to the current situation often leaves out a central component - that at the end of the day, there is not much direct threat to USA civilians, not many attack on American soil. Israel, on the other hand, lives next door to the threat. Maybe gives a different perspective on the threat in question.

I agree that the current war (or fighting, whatever one wishes to call it) will not fundamentally change anything. It could alter some key elements on the 'tactical' level (example, threat level from Hamas's military wing curtailed), but long term it's not a game changer. True also that deaths and carnage are great motivators for further violence. Be that as it may, seems that on the 'strategic' level there's no leadership on either side capable of making a move that will create a different reality, and maybe not much enthusiasm or trust among the people on both sides as well.

I don't know that there is, under current circumstances, a viable comprehensive solution out of the mess. I don't think that even now, most of the efforts or thinking associated with it are invested in long term, permanent solutions. That's the nature of things, perhaps. And yes, the World does have a fit when these things go boom, then slowly returns to 'normal' more or less - especially as this been going on for decades and no end in sight.

The echo chamber thing is there (less so on parallel topics), but that's also a product of this specific topic's dynamic and style of key participants. It's kinda lame commenting on it without context. Cause and effect.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I do not support .HAMAS. HAMAS rule by the gun, so far as I know the majority of the Gaza population do not support HAMAS

Israel has ceased supply of energy to Gaza, which IMO is 'collective punishment - War Crime. Your comments regards the power station are irrelevant.

It terms of legality, it doesn't matter who the population of Gaza support .

Israel are at war with Hamas and Israel can stop Hams from receiving electrical power  , same goes with food and other commodities .

Israel can legally stop supplying Gaza with commodities and everything else , but they have to allow those commodities in from other Countries , as long as its not going to Hamas .

Point being about the power station in Israel which Hamas bombed .

As Hamas bombed a power station which supplied Gaza with power , they cannot complain much when their  power supply goes down .

Like Hamas bombed a power station in Israel and then Israel must fix that power station to bring the power supply back to Hamas 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I agree.

It's great how people can watch the news, admit to not understanding what they saw, built an argument on this 'perception' and treat it as a serious point of view.

What you refer to is a small splinter group of religious orthodox Jews. While centered in Jerusalem, they are anti-Zionist, and often go for provocations, such as praising Israel's enemies etc.

It's not much reported because it happens quite often, and is not a main news story.

That there are Jews holding different views on many things is hardly news as well.

It would be more interesting when such things will be prevalent on the Palestinian side.

People denying antisemitism exists, or that the term has meaning got a vested interest in such efforts.

Not the first time you air such views....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

"Terminates the debate?

Are you serious, this thread has 7760 replies , thousands more replies than most of the other threads and you are seriously claiming it terminates any debate .

The Anti Semites term is used to point out when anti sematic remarks are made and the word is  mostly used by people claiming not to be anti sematic and making ridiculous claims that you cannot criticise Israel .

No one has been labelled as being Anti sematic for criticising Israeli .

"Terminate the debate " >     7,760 replies

Nothing to do with this thread Nick lad. Talking generally across the western world.

Is not criticism of Israel termed antisemitic, in some charter or other? Think the UK Labour party adopted it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Is not criticism of Israel termed antisemitic, in some charter or other? Think the UK Labour party adopted it.

That is right.

Obviously Israel has done wrong, made mistakes as they are human. Some here will never accept this, so there really is no debate possible. Sad but true.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Morch said:

What you refer to is a small splinter group of religious orthodox Jews. While centered in Jerusalem, they are anti-Zionist, and often go for provocations, such as praising Israel's enemies etc.

This religious group don't like their sacred religion being hi-jacked by Zionists.

Big march by the orthodoxies in London last Saturday.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I accept that there seems to be no middle ground in the Middle East. One must take one side or the other unequivocally.

I am unable to do that. That leaves me no place in this ever-growing thread. The terror attack on 7 Oct was heinous. Were I a survivor, I'd be apoplectic. I understand that.

If it is possible to step back, I recall reading of a sign a US military commander had on his office in Iraq. "In our actions killing enemies today, how many more did we create?"

Maybe it's still too soon to have that sort of introspection.

Another concern is the growing anti-Jewish sentiment in the world, even in the US and even on university campuses. This is revolting.

Yes, this, too, is too soon, but humor sometimes can offer a temporary refuge. Bill Maher---whose mother was Jewish---had a joke in his monologue tonight that brings this anti-Jewish threat home. Maher noted that FBI Director Christopher Wray said that anti-Jewish threats are at an all time high in the US. "the threat level having moved up from Mel Gibson to Kanye".

Humor is often better getting the point across to those who might not be listening, and this growing anti-Jewish hate must be addressed, lest history repeat.

Finally, and a bit off topic. Maher's New Rules was rather interesting this morning.

Edited by Walker88

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This religious group don't like their sacred religion being hi-jacked by Zionists.

Big march by the orthoxies in London last Saturday.

Was it bigger than this one? Got a link?

'I Don’t Want to Feel Afraid' | British Jews Rally for Israeli Hostages Held in Gaza Amid Rising Antisemitism
More than 1,350 percent increase in antisemitic attacks and stepped-up security at synagogues and Jewish schools did not deter U.K. Jews, who showed up in huge numbers to the demonstration at London's Trafalgar Square on Sunday