Senate votes against police request to question Senator Upakit Pachariyangkun

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2023-03-28T165541.014.png

The Thai Senate voted overwhelming today (Monday) against a police summons for Senator Upakit Pachariyangkun to acknowledge charges of drug trafficking and money laundering, following a debate in parliament after the embattled senator was given a chance to defend himself.

Senator Upakit was linked to an influential Myanmar businessman, Tun Min Latt, who has close connections with the Myanmar strongman, who was arrested in Bangkok in September last year on charges of drug trafficking and money laundering.

Before the debate, Deputy Senate Speaker Suphachai Somcharoen informed senators about the request from the Royal Thai Police to summon Senator Upakit for questioning regarding the charges against him.  He also informed senators about Section 125 of the Constitution, which prohibits the arrest or detention of a member of parliament unless there is consent from the House or the Senate.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 12
  • Haha 2

Was thinking I would love to have heard the debate when this law was cooked up, but then thought "I bet there was no debate." Not even a "get out of jail free card" more a "never get near a jail, let alone a trial, card"

• Like 1

^ Well first they have to have a referendum to see if the public want to change the constitution, and then another to approve the changes (said the Constitutional Court). The new govt is already backsliding away from it's alleged desire to change things so I don't think this guy will get what he wants...or the MFP with public support might slip in some of their ideas too, and that would not be what the Senators want !

There is also a minister who spent time in jail for heroin smuggling, another who was censured for corruption while a senior cop, and deputy minister with a mafia making up hit lists of mafia whose son was shot dead in a road rage gunfight started by him and his brother, who didn't think their intended victim might also be armed. He is now also cracking down on guys who carry guns around illegally, presumably so as to reduce the risk to his own illegally armed men.   On top of the whole thing we have a PM who lost the election acting as a nominee for someone who got 10 years in jail for corruption and is supposed to be in jail but isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

That pot is already bubbling.

image.png.6fb7d0eee140c4557cc2143bee0ab9e0.png

Interesting but do you know how the next batch of senators are to be appointe?  Nothing in the constitution about this. So it must be in one of the organic laws.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Confused 1

On 10/9/2023 at 8:16 PM, Karma80 said:

The senate circus continues to be tone deaf to the mood of the nation and reinforce the public opinion they should go.

This isn't a parking ticket - it's drug dealing and money laundering for heavens sake.

Laughable. A low bar.

There is at least one confirmed ex-drug dealer in the cabinet, why not the senate?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Interesting but do you know how the next batch of senators are to be appointed?  Nothing in the constitution about this. So it must be in one of the organic laws.

I don't think that anyone really knows at this point, if the new senators will actually be elected or appointed.

My heart says that they should be elected, but my mind says that they will be appointed as per the current constitution.

The reasoning behind that is that for them to be elected the constitution has to be changed and there is not enough time for that to happen before next May, even IF the current government wants to change it.