Youtube

Gandtee

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, but my question is what can they do if I don't remove adblockers?

I would think they stop you from watching youtube videos until you remove the offending adblocker, if it is only the popup message.

If they send you a warning to your email then I guess they will follow the rules in their terms of service.

You need to read youtube terms of service and what they allow or not.

www.youtube.com/t/terms

Are you logged in with your email account when using youtube and only watching content or are you also posting content?

I see on reddit some other people are reporting the same since about 5 months. I guess some adblockers block certain things which is detected by Youtube and the you get the popup message. On reddit people are reporting they are not getting this popup problem with ublock origin.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 2:13 PM, Gandtee said:

Why am I getting numerous adds on Youtube now? Youtube pasted 'Disable your add blocker.' If I wanted add free, go to Youtube Premium. Is this a new policy? Or how to get rid of the adds?

I've got Firefox with AdBlock and YesScript.  No ads or popups on Youtube.

Last week started getting a popup warning "Ad blockers are not allowed" about five seconds into my first video.

Hit the "X" to close, restart the video.  "No ad blockers" popup does not reappear no matter how many videos I watch after that.

Many workarounds:

1) Block ads via DNS using your DNS browser's settings. Adguard's DNS work great so you can use those.

2) Block ads via VPN by activating the blocker in your VPN settings. If you don't want to pay for a VPN just install the free proton one.

3) Use a youtube client such as Freetube. This is what I've been doing since forever. You can watch videos without ads, subscribe to channels without account, etc...

Good luck

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 9:39 AM, riclag said:

Praise be to the smart tv remote!

There's also a legitimate, popular APK for Android and Fire TV devices called "Smart Tube" which is a free, no ads, fully featured YouTube player, including the ability to sign into your account and access your playlists,  saved videos, etc.

It works so well on my smart TVs that I ended up uninstalling the regular YT app. But note, this one ONLY works on smart TV devices and NOT on mobile devices.

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeNext

"SmartTube is an advanced player for Android TVs and TV boxes, free & open source. You can play content from different public sources.

Features: no ads ‧ SponsorBlock ‧ adjustable playback speed ‧ 8k support ‧ 60fps ‧ HDR ‧ read live chat ‧ customizable buttons ‧ no Google Services ‧ helpful international community

Disadvantages: no support for phones and tablets, no comments stability, voice search and casting support might be worse than in the official apps, depending on your device"

The two available download links for a stable and beta version are quite a ways down on the page listed as...

"latest beta download

latest stable download"

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do many people expect to get everything free on the internet?

I accept the YouTube and the creators must make some money. 

That means I have to pay direct, per subscription, or indirect, with ads. I think that is fair.

Most creators don't make any money from ads anyway. Youtube shouldn't either as they already make money selling your data. At the end of the day, creators make their money with sponsors and patrons. Ads are a lame attempt to make something that worked for TV work on internet but it doesn't. Far too many, far too annoying.

Edited by Bunny Silverhand

13 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Most creators don't make any money from ads anyway. Youtube shouldn't either as they already make money selling your data. At the end of the day, creators make their money with sponsors and patrons. Ads are a lame attempt to make something that worked for TV work on internet but it doesn't. Far too many, far too annoying.

I'm familiar with a fair number of different YT content creators who basically make their entire incomes off of YT ad revenue shares on their videos...

But of course, you need to reach a certain level of viewership, I believe, before YT will so-called "monetize" a provider's videos... And then from there, the more views, the more money...

But FWIW, I also know of one Thailand based YTer who over several years had built quite a following and was earning very good money... until one day in the past year when YT decided to permanently "de-monetize" his account, leaving him in the lurch.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm familiar with a fair number of different YT content creators who basically make their entire incomes off of YT ad revenue shares on their videos...

But of course, you need to reach a certain level of viewership, I believe, before YT will so-called "monetize" a provider's videos... And then from there, the more views, the more money...

But FWIW, I also know of one Thailand based YTer who over several years had built quite a following and was earning very good money... until one day in the past year when YT decided to permanently "de-monetize" his account, leaving him in the lurch.

I've been a content creator myself. Two channels. 300000 subs and 150000 subs. 1 million+ views per month. Educational content. Ad revenues: between 500 and 800$ /m depending on the market. Never blamed people to block ads. They are 100% right.

25 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Some creators, i.e. Dave from EEVBlog, don't have sponsors and they don't promote any product. They don't do that to make it obvious for the viewer that they are neutral. I like that concept.

Internet ads work. If they wouldn't work then nobody would pay for them.

And they work better than TV ads because they are targeted. I.e. I see ads about technical products and not about baby supplies. 

If you don't like the ads, why don't you pay for premium? 

On 10/11/2023 at 1:49 AM, yankee99 said:

฿150 and the ads are gone on your account seems cheap for the amount of content 

At 159 Baht. Premium is great value for me. Can download videos, films and music for offline consumption. No advertising at all either. Who wouldn't do this if they like watching YouTube content?

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't like the ads, why don't you pay for premium?

Coz I got a brain so I don't pay for garbage. YT can be entertaining as it is but I wouldn't pay for it just like I wouldn't pay for the trash on offer on Netflix. No added value, no money. I'd rather be a patron for a creator who really impresses me once in a while. Now if you wanna be brainwashed by constant micro ads, please be my guest.

38 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Ever wondered how much it costs YouTube to maintain the network, install mirror servers, pay for electricity and the gazillions of terrabytes of data storage?

9 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Coz I got a brain so I don't pay for garbage. YT can be entertaining as it is but I wouldn't pay for it just like I wouldn't pay for the trash on offer on Netflix. No added value, no money. I'd rather be a patron for a creator who really impresses me once in a while. Now if you wanna be brainwashed by constant micro ads, please be my guest.

Just don't watch YouTube. No ads. Problem solved. 

"Coz I got a brain" Sorry, I am not convinced. 

On 10/10/2023 at 3:19 PM, Photoguy21 said:

You cant without paying. Accept it for what it is or pay, your choice.

Lots of other things in life don't need to pay.

Breathing is free but given time someone will find a way to try to turn breathing or walking into $.

Sad...

On 10/11/2023 at 2:43 PM, Dexxter said:

trying to watch YouTube videos on my Android phone is infuriating. Not only the  many ads but also the mutation they call a user interface on their phone version.

This is what worked for me on a Sammy S22+ running Android 13:

- In the YouTube app settings and go to 'Set as default'.

- Turn off 'Open supported links'

- Press the 'Clear defaults' button if applicable.

- Go back to 'App info' menu then hit 'Disable'

Then be Brave and watch YT ad-free. YMMV of course.

On 10/15/2023 at 4:10 PM, scorecard said:

Lots of other things in life don't need to pay.

Breathing is free but given time someone will find a way to try to turn breathing or walking into $.

Sad...

Don't worry they are going to tax breathing. However, with many sites that have a free and paid version if you go free then you have to accept the adverts you will see.

49 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Don't worry they are going to tax breathing. However, with many sites that have a free and paid version if you go free then you have to accept the adverts you will see.

Right now most folks can find an alternative site to get the info / photos wanted. But no doubt over time the 'anti-blocker' push will get more and more successful.

And maybe that will spark another 'industry' with cheap costs to get around the anti-blocker apps etc.

This is life.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:45 AM, keith101 said:

Netflix is cheaper than YouTube premium so will never pay for it

I watch YouTube on my pc no adds 

Netflix does not have any of the  content I watch/listen to on youtube.

Netflix and youtube premium cost me very little.

2 weeks ago I began to only get 2 videos per row on my Youtube account. Signing out it returned to 3 videos per row. My son's YT a/c was unchanged at 3 videos per row. Rescaling the PC I could get 3 videos per row. The problem was specific to only my a/c. I sent a feedback E-mail. to YT. Today, 2 weeks later, my a/c has returned to 3 videos per line, by default. Success, but still odd ( Were they testing some new format?)  Interestingly I have ABP installed (PC)  and I have not received any Youtube E-mails about removing it. It is working fine and the current score for Youtube ads that it has blocked so far is 1.529,148. Pipped to the post though by AZ @ 1,529,154!