What happens to your re-entry permit if you renew your passport abroad?

I am familiar with the process of renewing a passport inside the country while on extension of stay. You just go to immigration and they will transfer the visa information from your old, cancelled passport into your new one. But I am trying to understand how this works if you renew your passport overseas.

Scenario:

I am on a one year extension of stay. I get a re-entry permit to leave the country. While overseas, I renew my passport, and my current passport gets cancelled.  I then show up at Suvarnabhumi with a new passport immigration knows nothing about, and a cancelled passport with my extension of stay.  Do I just hand both passports to the immigration officer and let him sort it out? Is the re-entry permit still valid in this case? Seems when he scans my new passport the information on my current extension of stay (tied to the cancelled passport) won't show up. And if he does let me in, does this mean he's already transferred the information and I don't have to make an extra trip to immigration?

How is this situation handled? Does anyone have any experience?

• Like 1

I entered Thailand on a new home-country acquired passport end of July 2023. 

I showed both my new passport, as well as the old - corner-clipped and invalidated - passport which contained the Re-Entry Permit protecting my Non Imm O Visa based Permission to stay. 

Border-immigration simply re-stamped the protected end of December 2023 Permission to stay in my new Passport.  Took less than 2 minutes. 

Next time I go to my local Imm Office, I will take both passports, and my local Imm Office will transfer the information (that I had a valid Non Imm O Visa) to my new passport, as it currently only contains that end of December Permission to stay stamp provided by border-immigration.  

Note that since I entered on a new passport that I will have to do my 90-day report in person somewhere end of October (90 days after re-entering Thailand).  And I will make use of the occasion to have the 'stamp transfer' done at same time.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, uncletiger said:

Do I just hand both passports to the immigration officer and let him sort it out?

Yep. I did exactly that last week. Renewed my passport whilst in the UK arriving back I gave my new passport to the IO together with my old one open at the extension and re-entry permit. No problem at all.

Went to immigration in Hat Yai today to have the extension and re-entry permit transferred to the new passport.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

If obtaining a new passport overseas, when re-entering Thailand show both passports. Once in Thailand go to immigration to get Visa and Extension of stay transfered to new passport. If re-entry permit is multiple, then immigration will trasnsfer that too. No charge. I'm speaking from experience as this is exactly what I did. Very easy. 

I renewed my passport in the UK, had a re entry permit but had to leave for Thailand before I got my old one back and re entered with a Visa exempt. I had a photo of my re entry permit in my phone and immigration would not accept it. That Darren guy at Key Visa charged me over 30.000 Baht to fix it.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Just to be sure open your old passport page with re-entry permit and tell immigration guy/gal that you have a visa...!

They can totally miss it and stamp a visa free entry on your new passport and hand it over, that's why in any case it is always important to check what they stamp in your passport after leaving any immigration kiosk... , check dates etc. too... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

IMHO the finger of blame in your case would be far more appropriately pointed at those clowns at HMPO, whose bungling incompetence and ineptitude is presumably the reason why you didn't get your old passport back at the same time as your new one.

That is very true, I got them back together before, but over 30,000Bt????

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

That is very true, I got them back together before, but over 30,000Bt????

Once you enter visa exempt, the previous permission to stay that was protected by the re-entry permit is history, and there is nothing Immigration can do about it. Applying for a new Non O visa at Immigration followed by the initial one-year permission to stay is costly if you ask an agent to do it rather than doing it yourself.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OJAS said:

IMHO the finger of blame in your case would be far more appropriately pointed at those clowns at HMPO, whose bungling incompetence and ineptitude is presumably the reason why you didn't get your old passport back at the same time as your new one.

I had the same experience this summer while in the UK. Received my new passport really quickly in less than 2 weeks but it took about another week to get the old one returned. Waste of  resources as usual needlessly inflating the passport price by sending them back separately.

I re-entered recently and simply received a dated entry stamp in my new passport. When I handed over both passports pointing to the last extension stamp and re-entry permit stamp in the old passport the ignorant bitch of an IO who was chatting away to someone on her hidden hands free mobile connection while she worked, impatiently said to me: "I know, I know" and pointed and told me to just put my fingers on the scanner.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 8:05 PM, soi3eddie said:

I'm speaking from experience as this is exactly what I did. Very easy

Me too. In fact a came and went a couple of times showing both passports without a problem at Suvarnabhumi before getting the stamps transferred. A while back. Have a sneaking suspicion I was charged a small fee for that. Can't remember whether that was with a receipt.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

. A while back. Have a sneaking suspicion I was charged a small fee for that. Can't remember whether that was with a receipt.

If you paid a "fee" you would not have been given a receipt as it's a free service for transfer of stamps.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Ha! Yes, I know that now! I was a newbie back then.

Having stated that I don't concern myself with minor rip offs.

I think of it as a tip.

Doesn't bother me. 

"Grease the wheels" is my mantra if required

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 8:23 PM, DrJack54 said:

Having stated that I don't concern myself with minor rip offs.

I think of it as a tip.

Doesn't bother me. 

"Grease the wheels" is my mantra if required

Exactly. Me too. Gets things done without hassle.

This was at the old  Sakon Nakhon IO before the Kalasin IO opened. At SN " tea money " of small amounts were pretty much obligatory back then. Despite the signs on the wall clearly forbidding the practice. Always done with a smile of course. But this was not overtly one and I genuinely thought it was a fee, 900 baht I think, for the stamp transfer service and I recall he even gave me change for the 1,000 baht note I handed over.