Request advice on visa to stay in Thailand

I would like to stay in Thailand at least six months, and up to ten months if possible.  I’m an American citizen who is now in the USA, though I’ve previously lived in Thailand for several years.

Could you please advise me on what visa or documentation I should prepare and what I’ll need to do when that visa expires.  Thank you.

Obtain a METV while in USA.

The METV will provide 9 months.

Followed by couple of border runs for visa exempt entries +  30 day extension for each.

Total 13 months.

Assume that you are under 50

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtain a METV while in USA.

The METV will provide 9 months.

Important to note that the METV only provides 9 months if you do 2 border bounces and 3 extensions during that 9 months.  Each entry with that visa gives you 60 days which you can extend once for 30 days.

Probably still your best option if you are under 50.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Important to note that the METV only provides 9 months if you do 2 border bounces and 3 extensions during that 9 months.  Each entry with that visa gives you 60 days which you can extend once for 30 days.

Probably still your best option if you are under 50.

Good points.

The bonus on the exit reenter with a multi entry visa is that there is no questions upon reentry at airports.

A nice weekend+ to Saigon would be my plan.

Especially if based in Bangkok.

• Like 2

Hi, I'm the OP.  Thanks for the advice so far.  I'll answer your questions for clarification:

I'm 73.  I will spend almost all of my time in Bangkok while in Thailand.  I have no specific plans to visit other countries though that would be okqy.  I'll probably want to make other visits to Thailand in the future.

39 minutes ago, Cutty Shark said:

Hi, I'm the OP.  Thanks for the advice so far.  I'll answer your questions for clarification:

I'm 73.  I will spend almost all of my time in Bangkok while in Thailand.  I have no specific plans to visit other countries though that would be okqy.  I'll probably want to make other visits to Thailand in the future.

Search for threads on the forum about entering visa exempt and changing to a non-o in country.  If you already have a Thai bank account it is easier.

1 hour ago, Cutty Shark said:

I'm 73.  I will spend almost all of my time in Bangkok while in Thailand. 

If your ongoing plan is to spend half a year in Thailand (snowbird) you could consider obtaining a Non O based on retirement and subsequent extensions.

With a set period spent in Thailand each year you could be in Thailand to apply for ongoing extensions.

You can obtain the initial non O in your own country or at immigration office in Thailand from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

If your country provides a multi entry Non O retirement then that is also an option.

1 hour ago, Cutty Shark said:

For this first 6-months trip to Thailand, and suggested already by previous posters, an METV (MultipleEntry Tourist Visa) would be your best option, with the additional advantage that you can extend your visit to max 9 months if you desire to do so.

For your next annual long trip to Thailand another METV (allowing you to reside 6-9 months in the country) would also be possible. 

But after that you might experience some difficulties as border-immigration based on that history of two 6-months (or longer) stays in Thailand during a 2-year period, could result in them not considering you a 'genuine tourist' and denying you entry.  

Of course that's +2 years in the future, so your plans might change, and if you still want to make such annual  trips, there are other options for long-term stay in Thailand. 

So the advice to apply for an METV for this first trip to Thailand is for sure still your best option. 

At 73, your best bet is a retirement visa (annual) with muliple entries allowed.  TOTAL cost approx. $800 through an agent, don't worry about anything else.

That is for your first year, subsequent years substantially cheaper.

You can enter visa exempt on arrival or tourist visa, but you save money by entering on a non-o visa issued from your country.

Get a reliable agent (search this forum).

Welcome to Thailand!

3 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Non Imm O Visa and do 12 month extensions in Thailand.

800,000 Baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65,000 Baht monthly income for the extensions.

No need for expensive agent.

If you consider the money in interest he would lose by parking 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and earning next to nothing compared to leaving it in a US bank and earning 5 - 6 percent, it's actually cheaper to use an agent.

I don't think the income method is available to US citizens.

9 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

I don't think the income method is available to US citizens.

While US citizens cannot get an income letter, extensions of stay based on retirement are possible with regular monthly transfers to your Thai bank account of 65k+ baht. If you want the initial Non O visa as a US national without depositing 800k baht in a Thai bank account, it is best to get the initial Non O visa in home country.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:38 AM, Cutty Shark said:

I would like to stay in Thailand at least six months, and up to ten months if possible.  I’m an American citizen who is now in the USA, though I’ve previously lived in Thailand for several years.

Could you please advise me on what visa or documentation I should prepare and what I’ll need to do when that visa expires.  Thank you.

if you can qualify for a LTR (thru the Board of Investments) Visa that is probably the best visa going.  If you don't qualify and have lots of disposable cash the Elite Visa is the next best.  If the two visas mentioned before are no go's, then the "O" retirement visa (if age 50+) is probably the nest best bet.