I reckon the Savannakhet Embassy is about to become very busy..

5 minutes ago, pagallim said:

The definition of tax residency in Thailand is that of already paying Thai tax, typically through employment, in which case those liable for tax would have a work permit.    Nothing to do with typical retirees and others who do not work here and fund their stay through overseas earnings such as pensions and/or investments etc.   This whole overseas tax thing is aimed at Thais who have undeclared overseas earnings/offshore accounts etc, not Joe Soap who is renting out his house in Birmingham to fund his Thai life.

I agree with you and I made that very same point when the story first broke.

however, I like to speculate a bit and I’m taking it to extremes and weighing up the possible outcomes if such a policy were to be implemented. 

Edited by bob smith

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Very easy for them to implement a system and rule where all non-imm visa holders need to get a TIN whether working here or not (multi-entry included) and that all holders need to present a tax clearance form upon departure. 

They already don't like holders of the multi-entry visa as they see it as a way around showing they have the funds to legally stay here, if they also start to view it as a way around paying Thai tax then yes, for sure they're going to scrutinize, and they have the number of days you've stayed here per fiscal year both in their hands in your passport and in front of their eyes on their computer screen. 

And what self respecting foreigner would go through such an arduous process just to legally stay here?

People will leave in droves.

Thailand isn’t the only place in Asia where one can live comfortably. 

None of this is going to happen anyway. It’s all pure speculation. They would be fools to implement such draconian measures. 

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 2

In my opinion Bob the best solution, for those who can afford it, is to return for 6 months to our original country and live 6 months here, the best of both countries.

Yes this will cost us more but it must also be considered there is a great advantage to take  when calculating the considerable taxation that will fall on us here in Thailand.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

OK, so that's your Plan B?

Assuming you have fixed expenses in Thailand with a spouse, you'll be adding additional expenses living in Laos for 185 days. You may spend more doing that than potentially paying some taxes in Thailand?

Fake account members have zero living expenses.

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

OK, so that's your Plan B?

Assuming you have fixed expenses in Thailand with a spouse, you'll be adding additional expenses living in Laos for 185 days. You may spend more doing that than potentially paying some taxes in Thailand?

Thats exactly my situation. My house is paid for here but if I left my family to live in say Cambo I'd have to pay rent there plus all the extras, electricity,visa for example. Maybe the tax bill won't be much different.Thats assuming if they even go through with this BS.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If they become really serious about collecting tax from foreigners, it will be done by requiring a tax clearance before leaving Thailand if you have spent more than a specified number of days in Thailand. This was the system about 30 years ago. If staying long term in Thailand, you needed to visit the local tax office where you were interrogated and, once they were satisfied, given a stamp in the last page of your passport allowing you to leave. It was way worse than any of the other bureaucracy I have ever needed to deal with in Thailand (and I was not even living in Thailand then). The system was abolished during the short lived, foreigner friendly, technocrat government led by Anand Panyarachun.

Thanks for the info mate!

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Always have your Plan B in the back burner ready to go, folks.

thinks can change out here in the blink of an eye.

Indeed, only things certain in this life are death, taxes and change.

Plan Bs also have to consider the wind of change, for example neighbouring countries may also start to use the E-visa platform.

Only time will tell how this will pan out so a bit of a wait for some more clarity. At the end of the day why worry when I could be ferilising the bananas before anything actually happens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

How would they enforce it?

come on, enlighten me..

tax returns at consulates abroad? You are havin a laff!

Very easily. To issue you a visa, after checking time in country, they could ask you to provide them receipt of paid tax or reject your visa application. So easy to add one line to the requirements to apply for visa.

On leaving the country, they could force you to get tax clearance document like many decades ago, if you stayed long time on wrong type of visa, or reject you exit. Philippine immigration loves to reject exit to their citizens, Thailand could do the same to you.

Actually they aren't going to enforce anything. It is your responsibility to declare and settle taxes. If you don't and they find out, then they could penalise you later. The World is getting ever more connected. I don't think it's beyond imagination that immigration could get access to revenue department's data to verify whether taxes were paid or not.

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

I reckon the Savannakhet Embassy is about to become very busy..

If Thailand does indeed bring in this ridiculous tax policy on foreign income generated abroad then it should be relatively easy for us married folk to dodge the bullet.

34 minutes ago, bob smith said:

And what self respecting foreigner would go through such an arduous process just to legally stay here?

People will leave in droves.

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

if they do try to tax me on my income earned abroad then it’s bye bye Thailand, hello sunny cambodia! 

Which is it?

1. Savannakhet will be very busy, and it will be very easy for you to continue living here?

2. Foreigners will be leaving in droves?

3. You will leave to live in Cambodia?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I’m not worried. 

I don’t really care either way. 

if they do try to tax me on my income earned abroad then it’s bye bye Thailand, hello sunny cambodia! 

Cambodia has taxes on worldwide income. Far worse than the new Thailand laws. 

Resident employee is taxed on their worldwide sources of income whereas non-residents are taxed on Cambodia-sourced income. An individual is considered a resident in Cambodia if they domicile in the country or are in Cambodia for more than 182 days in any 12-month period.

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

If Thailand does indeed bring in this ridiculous tax policy on foreign income generated abroad then it should be relatively easy for us married folk to dodge the bullet.

Apparently to be considered Tax resident one has to be in country in excess of 180 days.

As a Multi Entry Non O visa grants you stay of maximum 90 days per time, this would negate the tax resident status.

Always have your Plan B in the back burner ready to go, folks.

thinks can change out here in the blink of an eye.

Think it through Bob, its 180 days per year, its not consecutive

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Which is it?

1. Savannakhet will be very busy, and it will be very easy for you to continue living here?

2. Foreigners will be leaving in droves?

3. You will leave to live in Cambodia?

4. Bobs a <deleted>.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Really?

I think the opposite is true.

We seem to be in a state of de-globalization at the moment..

That I agree. But computer systems are ever more integrated. This government is out to grab every satang as their coffers are more than obviously empty. The populist policies are going to cost a fortune on top of that. It's kind of like a broke man handing out donations, then robbing anyone he can to get the cash for it. But winning elections at any cost is what populism is all about, right?

• Like 1

That is already part of my plan. 180 days max stay. I'll spend the rest in EU (Irish passport), US and an Asian country that I have a residence in. Oh and Bob, if you are British you need to change your domicile as well. 

Edited by retarius
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If they become really serious about collecting tax from foreigners, it will be done by requiring a tax clearance before leaving Thailand if you have spent more than a specified number of days in Thailand. This was the system about 30 years ago. If staying long term in Thailand, you needed to visit the local tax office where you were interrogated and, once they were satisfied, given a stamp in the last page of your passport allowing you to leave. It was way worse than any of the other bureaucracy I have ever needed to deal with in Thailand (and I was not even living in Thailand then). The system was abolished during the short lived, foreigner friendly, technocrat government led by Anand Panyarachun.

I was in Thailand for an extended period in 1990. Was between contracts in Egypt and Malaysia and only found out about the need for a tax clearance certificate from a travel agent when I was booking a flight out. This despite not working in Thailand, but being in country for periods that. in total, exceeded 180 days. Of course there was no easy access to such info way back then. As part of their service they offered to do the necessary. Paid, I seem to recall, about Bt2,000 and had the receipt stapled in my passport. Can't recall if the IO even looked at it on departure.

I don't believe it was actually abolished, just placed in abeyance and could, potentially be resurrected without the need for new legislation. I recall a thread created by 'Jayboy' some time back that had details on the relevant connected tax law and confirmed that Anand was indeed the PM when the need for tax clearance was dropped around 1992. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Very easy for them to implement a system and rule where all non-imm visa holders need to get a TIN whether working here or not (multi-entry included) and that all holders need to present a tax clearance form upon departure.

LOL. Even if I only used my Non-Immigrant visa for infrequent trips, staying for a total of, say, 120 days a year, I have to get a tax clearance form now? What will they do, if not; stop me from leaving, or lock me up?? - And if they want to charge me at the border, I will only be happier to spend my money across the border...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

6 months in Cambodia/Laos and 6 months here sounds more than fine to me.

To avoid tax residence status it's maximum 179 days in Thailand and 181 days in Cambodia so you'll need to find a 3rd country to spend 5 days in ????