Refused pseudoephedrine at hospital

atpeace

The sinus tip I use on the standard, drugstore available Nipro 50 ml syringes here looks something like this:

Screenshot_6.jpg.0319ec62b73716634a2d218a65e6efe2.jpg

You can buy syringe sets specifically made for sinus rinsing. But I prefer to use the cheap and easily available Nipro standard syringes here in Thailand, and then just add on my custom sinus tip.

Long ago, my sinus doc got me to try to start using a Water-pik type device with a special sinus tip... But I never like that very much, and the pressure on that kept getting water up into my inner ears... Whereas with the hand-held syringe, it's easy to control and adjust the flow and pressure you're using based on how open or clogged your sinuses are.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

@atpeace

What exactly was your interaction at the hospital that led to this refusal?

Did you first consult an ENT?

Walking into a hospital and asking for a specific drug - -especially one that is a controlled substance as this unfortunately is -- will set off all king of alarm bells.

Have a consultation with a doctor, explain your history and symptoms and that this drug usually works for you.

I think you might be right.  I actually had a translated letter with me describing my situation in Pattaya a few months ago.  Thought it would make it easier because in the past they always prescribe something that does nothing for me and we spend 10 minutes talking before they finally prescribe Pseudoephedrine.  Today I showed the nurse the note below which basically states I need  pseudoephedrine and it is the only thing that works the last 30 years.

pseudoephedrine เป็นยาตัวเดียวที่ช่วยฉันได้ในอเมริกาและไทยในช่วง 30 ปีที่ผ่านมา

She asked the doctor and came back and told me they didn't have it at the hospital.  I thanked her and got up to leave telling her I no longer needed to talk to the doctor. She waivered, I think I don't resemble a drug addict :), and told me to wait a minute and went back to the doctor but same result.  I think the doctor didn't want to be bothered which I understand.  Small hospital and many patients.  The same doctor doesn't understand why I get blood work 1-2 times a year.  He has more important things to do.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The sinus tip I use on the standard, drugstore available Nipro 50 ml syringes here looks something like this:

Screenshot_6.jpg.0319ec62b73716634a2d218a65e6efe2.jpg

You can buy syringe sets specifically made for sinus rinsing. But I prefer to use the cheap and easily available Nipro standard syringes here in Thailand, and then just add on my custom sinus tip.

Long ago, my sinus doc got me to try to start using a Water-pik type device with a special sinus tip... But I never like that very much, and the pressure on that kept getting water up into my inner ears... Whereas with the hand-held syringe, it's easy to control and adjust the flow and pressure you're using based on how open or clogged your sinuses are.

I just used a small condiment tray and snorted it.  Seemed to do the trick but tomorrow will show the pic above to the pharmacy in town

30 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I just used a small condiment tray and snorted it.  Seemed to do the trick but tomorrow will show the pic above to the pharmacy in town

Lazada TH has a lot of sinus rinse related stuff... as in the link below:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=sinus+tip&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.tm80027146.search.go.315fJHkdJHkdKW

Your questions made me struggle to remember and find where I originally bought the current sinus irrigation tip I've long been using, which originally came with it's own syringe. But the tip itself was removable, and fits perfectly on the standard long tip Nipro 50 ml syringes easily found here.

The product name of the item I bought was called "Squip Nasaline":

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nasaline-nasal-rinsing-system-60-i2518278753-s8939281663.html

https://www.amazon.com/Squip-Products-Nasaline-Adult-Irrigator/dp/B001E18TNY/

Screenshot_8.jpg.ba18b84334f98e01d66f61b5d372bf66.jpg

Works great!

And here's what Nipro called their long "catheter tip" 50 ml syringe, which goes with the Nasaline sinus tip.

Screenshot_7.jpg.f8c3224d00ffa93de4381b3a2113e2dc.jpg

Nipro makes a different version of the same size syringe that is NOT a catheter tip, and has a very short tip, and I don't believe that works with the nasal tips as well.

In my case, I can usually keep reusing the same syringe for a couple months, by rinsing it out thoroughly after each use....

The full unit Nasaline devices (tip and syringe) sell for about $15 USD each... So rather than continually buying new ones of those, I choose to reuse the silicone sinus tip along with new Nipro syringes that cost a few dozen baht per syringe.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lazada TH has a lot of sinus rinse related stuff... as in the link below:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=sinus+tip&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.tm80027146.search.go.315fJHkdJHkdKW

Your questions made me struggle to remember and find where I originally bought the current sinus irrigation tip I've long been using, which originally came with it's own syringe. But the tip itself was removable, and fits perfectly on the standard long tip Nipro 50 ml syringes easily found here.

The product name of the item I bought was called "Squip Nasaline":

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nasaline-nasal-rinsing-system-60-i2518278753-s8939281663.html

https://www.amazon.com/Squip-Products-Nasaline-Adult-Irrigator/dp/B001E18TNY/

Works great!

And here's what Nipro called their long "catheter tip" 50 ml syringe, which goes with the Nasaline sinus tip.

Thanks and added the tip to my Lazada shopping cart.  I've seen those syringes at the pharmacy.  Thanks for the help!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, atpeace said:

I have always had to beg for more than 10 tablets but never been refused before at a hospital.  Usually after a few minutes of begging I get 50 pills which will last 1 year.  When my sinuses act up, I need the pills ASAP and I'm fine in 24 hours.  Nothing else works for me and other pills they have tried to tell me work do absolutely nothing.  Has anyone else been refused lately?  Hoping I can go to a different hospital.

I always have some on hand.

It works great for the occasional stuffy nose.

The Bangkok Hospital group has never said no

I always get 60 at a time.  Maximum allowed at Bangkok Udon Thani in my experience.

I have to pay a 300 baht doctors fee. 

Another thing, easy and simple, that I've found helpful is to do some sinus steaming with a few drops of eucalyptus oil...

Buy a standard Conair personal steamer unit (usually around $25 USD when I shop online), and use some Bossistos or Parrot brand 53 ml bottles of local eucalyptus oil, just a couple of drops per steam. Very soothing and helpful for me.

Screenshot_10.jpg.7bf171a7ff58b48b9abc6bf5a36c1d34.jpg

Screenshot_9.jpg.c117fd41ee9a0ecc5d12dd6df2a676c3.jpg

The larger cone is for full face steaming, whereas the smaller one shown above is specifically for sinus steaming.

Though, I've only found the above unit in the US voltage 110V variety... Dunno if Conair makes the same things in a 220V version.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

They didn’t want you setting up a meth lab in your hospital room. Typical Thai logic.

That was the original problem 30 years ago.

Now it's just cheaper to buy the stuff (Meth/YaBa)on the street, usually controlled by the local police. 

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Go to another hospital, see an ENT.  don't show that note as it in no way gives diagnosis or looks like it was written by a doctor. Just tell him your history and the pseudophedrine works for you.

Our cat just got spayed and need to go a vet in a  nearby town for a followup.  There is a hospital there.   I'll see what happens.

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I always have some on hand.

It works great for the occasional stuffy nose.

The Bangkok Hospital group has never said no

I always get 60 at a time.  Maximum allowed at Bangkok Udon Thani in my experience.

I have to pay a 300 baht doctors fee. 

Yep, exactly what I have done in the past but hasn't worked in 2023 so far.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Another thing, easy and simple, that I've found helpful is to do some sinus steaming with a few drops of eucalyptus oil...

Buy a standard ConAir personal steamer unit, and use some Bossistos or Parrot brand 53 ml bottles of local eucyalyptus oil... Very soothing and helpful for me.

Screenshot_10.jpg.7bf171a7ff58b48b9abc6bf5a36c1d34.jpg

Screenshot_9.jpg.c117fd41ee9a0ecc5d12dd6df2a676c3.jpg

The larger cone is for full face steaming, whereas the smaller one shown above is specifically for sinus steaming.

Or just take one pill and fall asleep or enjoy your day without a stuffy nose. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Go to another hospital, see an ENT.  don't show that note as it in no way gives diagnosis or looks like it was written by a doctor. Just tell him your history and the pseudophedrine works for you.

It may also have been a factor that the particular hospital he was visiting for that encounter was a small one way out in the boonies....and I gather he would have been previously unknown to them.

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol found in plants........how would that help?

I see that this post of mine was given three laughing emojis, so for the numb nuts who did this, you might want to look up xylitol, because it is indeed a natural sugar alcohol, and can be used to assist in weight loss in place of normal cane sugar.

Of course, the lowly educated wouldn't know this, hence the emojis.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Any idea what's actually in them in terms of ingredients?

Around 20b and the bottom part can be used to dab on mozzie bites, on your chest, under the nose, can even clear your eyes out of dust when it makes them water. They have different fragrances too. (different color bands.) 

IMG_20231015_144815.thumb.jpg.97f371ce98fc1f4b2b5b89b2ca8451f9.jpg

IMG_20231015_144929.thumb.jpg.31887a57c6b80425432238a65cf7d88e.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I know this might sound to simple, but I use those decongestant inhalers you stick in/up your nose, the ones you see Thais with, they clear all my muck out. YUK.

Might be worth a try but TallGuys recommendations seem to be working I think.  Not the quick cure pseudoephedrine provides but slept last night with very little drainage and stable today.  I think in stead of a 1 day remedy, I can beat this in 3-4 days without meds.  Frustrating, I have a race this weekend that I'll have to skip but life goes on.  Funny, a few years back, I went on antibiotics for 6 months to deal with the hellish sinus issues.  Probably quite stupid but had good results.

Just now, brianthainess said:

For 20b all got to lose is a, chest/lung/nose, full of snot. 

GF tells me she has the same as the pic.  She is trying to find.  Gross to share but not up for a trip into town.  Thanks

1 minute ago, atpeace said:

GF tells me she has the same as the pic.  She is trying to find.  Gross to share but not up for a trip into town.  Thanks

Even mar n pa shops sell them, they are easy to mislay buy 3, 

Have plenty of tissue and a spitoon nearby. 

9 hours ago, mstevens said:

As a natural alternative, consider Stinging Nettle Root and NAC i.e. taking both at the same time. Both these supplements help hugely with sinus issues and taking both at the same time have proved to be a great remedy for me.

Interesting and may ad to my new toolbox.  Have you suffered from severe sinus infections in the past?  This last week has caused me to reevaluate my approach to severe sinus issues the last decade in Thailand which were debilitating when  living in Chiang Mai.  I stumbled into using pseudoephedrine 10 years ago and it became my miracle cure.  I would stress if I didn't have at least 10 pills ready for the next flair up.  I travel all the time which is difficult because hospitals only dispense the pills.  

I got over this last episode by diligently cleaning my nasal passages and almost got the same almost immediate relieve I got with Pseudoephedrine.  Made me think.  My sinuses are trying to clear something out and once the process is started they overreact that causes the weeks of drainage.  Pseudoephedrine stops the drainage but doesn't resolve the what caused the issue in the first place,  Prolific cleansing my sinus passages resolves the root issues which is clearing the irritant.

Long post but for those in Thailand with severe sinus issues this search for a remedy, I'm sure will be understood.  Thailand is arguably one of the worst places to live with sinus concerns and a sinus infection can destroy you for weeks.

20 hours ago, atpeace said:

Interesting and may ad to my new toolbox.  Have you suffered from severe sinus infections in the past?  This last week has caused me to reevaluate my approach to severe sinus issues the last decade in Thailand which were debilitating when  living in Chiang Mai.  I stumbled into using pseudoephedrine 10 years ago and it became my miracle cure.  I would stress if I didn't have at least 10 pills ready for the next flair up.  I travel all the time which is difficult because hospitals only dispense the pills.  

I got over this last episode by diligently cleaning my nasal passages and almost got the same almost immediate relieve I got with Pseudoephedrine.  Made me think.  My sinuses are trying to clear something out and once the process is started they overreact that causes the weeks of drainage.  Pseudoephedrine stops the drainage but doesn't resolve the what caused the issue in the first place,  Prolific cleansing my sinus passages resolves the root issues which is clearing the irritant.

Long post but for those in Thailand with severe sinus issues this search for a remedy, I'm sure will be understood.  Thailand is arguably one of the worst places to live with sinus concerns and a sinus infection can destroy you for weeks.

Yep, I suffered from severe sinus infections in the past that were knocked out with antibiotics only to come back within a few weeks. VERY annoying. To be clear, stinging nettle root and NAC won't kill a sinus infection, but they treat the symptoms very well well which is a great relief.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 1:03 AM, mstevens said:

As a natural alternative, consider Stinging Nettle Root and NAC i.e. taking both at the same time. Both these supplements help hugely with sinus issues and taking both at the same time have proved to be a great remedy for me.

What is NAC ?

On 10/14/2023 at 2:29 PM, Don Chance said:

Try xylitol.  search the sub.  Ephendrin products don't really work because they always rebound.

Glad you warned me, I have been using pseudoephedrine for 40 some years and I wouldn't want to waste anymore time trying it.

• Haha 1