Thailand needs to calm down it's rush to EV !

TorquayFan

15 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

It's worth noting that. the rush to build massive numbers of EV is questionable because according to very detailed research by Volvo, the environmental tag for EV manufacture is so much higher that it is not repaid until the vehicle has done an extra 100,000 km than an ICE vehicle

You clearly don’t know how to read a graph!

IMG_1313.thumb.jpeg.446a8db3b12d4a0c7da4c00c432b9e6b.jpeg

The calculus used by Volvo says the results depend in large measure on the source of electricity its customers use to charge their vehicles and the 2 year old report said that the grid is greening all the time, so it’s findings are already out of date. 

In my case I drive my EVs using excess power produced from my home solar. Many EV owners here in Thailand have solar.

The report said that internal combustion technology has had over a century to get where it is today. EV technology, on the other hand, is still in its infancy. Improvements in battery technology are happening almost daily. Battery recycling operations are ramping up around the world, which will significantly reduce the need to mine lithium and other natural resources, like nickel and cobalt, that are used to make today’s lithium-ion batteries.

The report is not without it’s critics, It claims part of the reason its electric cars create more emissions in the production phase is because they use more aluminum, yet the charts that accompany the report show the gasoline-powered XC40 has an aluminum content of 34%, while the XC40 Recharge uses 30% aluminum and the C40 Recharge 29%.

• Thumbs Up 2

Facts from people who really knows the limits to EVs.

<iframe width="806" height="453" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5stPFdegJpg" title="Electric Vehicles: Arthur Berman, Pedro Prieto, &amp; Simon Michaux | Reality Roundtable #1" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

how do persons living in an apartment block or in a house with no driveway/carport/garage, manage to get the charge supply to the vehicle

These problems are being solved all around the world. In Norway 80% of new cars purchased last year were electric. You would know this if you had bothered to do some research before giving the rest of us the job of fact checking everything you say.

IMG_1314.jpeg.3d6bc31b5e6daeccac7adeeedeee3e69.jpegIMG_0465.jpeg.c7d931cbf39031781982f931f67aeaf7.jpegIMG_0464.jpeg.f4b13d6c05320c954d00ab5436f68745.jpegIMG_0467.jpeg.76a473286576169c2b7a5a644097eb73.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Bandersnatch - Ouch !

Yes I knew about Norway - of course, it's a very small and very prosperous Country and they seem well organised too. Further helped by this factor - "battery-electric vehicles were also exempted from value-added and import taxes, which are traditionally high on cars in Norway."

Now I'm trying to watch the Pogust link. ATB

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

a street with every house having EV's will need an uplift in the capacity of the local electricity infrastructure.

Currently Thailand’s feed-in credit for solar is a flat rate and not time (demand based) When PEA and MEA get serious about this problem they will call on prosumers like myself.

I have 36 kWh of home batteries and a new EV with 82.5 kWh and bi-directional charging. I would be happy to feedback to my local grid here in Thailand if there were incentives to do so. This is already happening around the world.

IMG_1311.thumb.jpeg.3b2a91e24e63be16c460197cdf9ca9da.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

it's also worth bearing in mind that a battery pack might be damaged by hitting a hump in the road, mounting a kerb and so on. MMMmmm

“Hitting a bump in the road” What a ridiculous thing to say.  Here is a video of my EV being crash tested (twice) and the battery being tested afterwards.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

About as many times as you can tell an idiot EV's have become a religion for some owners, and virtue signalling they are saving the planet is complete BS.

Priced the same? Only with government subsidies, which are as changeable as weathervanes.

Show me an EV equivalent in performance and price to an ICE such as a Mitsubishi Attrage or Nissan Almera, please.

There you go, again repeating the same silliness.  No EV owners on AN ever stated they are saving the planet.   Not contributing to local air pollution, yes.

We've enjoying savings & performance, that's all.  But please continue the false narrative that we think we are saving the planet.

They are priced the same, if same class of cars, not the made in TH entry level JP badged crap.  But the imports of same (under performing) quality JP brands, and without the incentives

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Yet to hear 1 argument against owning an EV, that makes sense, that owners of don't agree with already.

Common sense reason not to own EV (in TH):

... can't charge at home

... can't afford a new car right now

... want a pick up truck

... on the road all the time, and waiting to charge, will cost you valuable money making time

... simply too impatient to charge when on the road, (not working) but don't mind waiting weekly to top up ICEV at petrol station

I can't think of any other reasons, and most have been debunked already.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

the problem is that an EV fire is wildly intense and there are many cases of EV catching fire, on charge, off charge, whenever

If you actually knew anything about EVs you would know that battery chemistry is changing. The 2 biggest EV manufactures are BYD - 100% lithium iron phosphate batteries (LFP) - and Tesla whose best selling models by far are the standard range model 3 & Y  that now mostly use lithium iron phosphate (LFP). Ford has also moved to LFP. LFP are far safer than Li Ion

My home batteries and new EV have LFP

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My home batteries and new EV have LFP

As do mine, (EV & solar ESSs) and anyone research to buy, will know this, and should chose accordingly.  Soon all will be LFP, as other transition over.

Anything in the future will be better, cleaner & safer, hopefully.

Myself, too impatient (& old) to wait, and miss out on savings & performance now.

Have MG ZS (2022) and fit our needs & transport budget perfectly.  Probably last car wife & myself will own, unless simply wanting to upgrade to something, new, shiny & improved (doubtful) in the future.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Do you not think they might have thought of that? Or do people really believe they make these things with exposed batteries such that a puddle will kill them?

The world is full of people who let others do the "thinking" for them and look where that's getting us.

• Confused 1

To the OP, TorquayFan, if you don’t want to buy an EV, then don’t. No one is holding a gun to your head. Your opening post shows very clearly your lack of knowledge about EVs and experiences of owning one. You based it on what you have read.

Try reading articles or watching videos from EV owners if you want to have a balanced view.

• Love It 2

Gweilo I've watched many videos and read a lot on both sides of the debate and reached this balanced view.

Which brings me to an EV problem not mentioned yet - tyre wear particle dust IS a major pollutant on the roads and ends up in the water system. Because of the excess weight of EV, tyre wear is much higher.

In the UK apparently MOT fails due to tyres are 30% higher on EV's.

Khun LA - yes it's easy to agree about the obvious advantages of EV and the drawbacks too. You have an EV and it suits you and that's great - my main concern is industry led or Govt. thrusts to change to EV's wholesale because it won't solve the wider issues.

Thanks Pogust for that link - worth the watch

BFN and ATB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

internal combustion engines (ICE)

have no potential anymore and can hardly be the future solution.

Funny thing is this was stated when the first petrol engine was produced over a hundred years ago with only one difference ( the word anymore )

The worst polluters of the world are industrialists yet no one is complaining or pointing the finger at them, yes cars do pollute and no one refutes it but beef producers pollute more than cars as cattle fart methane gas in a constant stream, shipping produces about 25% + of all unregulated pollutants, industrialists with there manufacturing processes contribute around 50%, not to mention PEOPLE, but it is much easier to attack the easy target than getting to the Cruz of the matter.

And before anyone gets on there high horse at me, yes I do have a car used mainly to move my disabled wife to where she needs to go and year on year I average 3 to 5,000 miles.

• Like 1