Convenience store’s refusal to accept taped banknotes sparks online controversy

webfact

Banknote-controversy.jpg

A recent online controversy has erupted over a convenience store’s refusal to accept old banknotes, aggravating customers and sparking heated debate among netizens who pointed out that such notes remain legally valid unless damaged. The main reason for the refusal was due to the banknotes being heavily taped.

Today, a social media post was shared by a member of the พวกเราคือผู้บริโภค Facebook group. The post contained images of used banknotes plastered with clear tape and the message.

“How old is this banknote? The convenience store staff wouldn’t accept it, saying that nobody else would take it. They said the acceptance of money is at the discretion of the employees.

Thus, I had to find another banknote to pay. The banknote isn’t torn, it just has tape on it. Maybe someone taped it fearing it may tear. I got it as a change from another place”, reported KhaoSod.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:
3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Dunno the system here but stores should be handing in these duff notes to banks for ‘recycling’. 

The customer could do the same.

Exactly. Much ado about nothing. To quote the American expression, 'Take it to the bank'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

refusal to accept old banknotes

Some are rare and collectible ...

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The main reason for the refusal was due to the banknotes being heavily taped.

Banks will exchange them against new ones for free .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Whilst we are banging on about legal tender, what about 25/50 satang coins?  They have the King's head on them but I have had them refused on buses and in convenience stores.

Save them for tips!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Whilst we are banging on about legal tender, what about 25/50 satang coins?  They have the King's head on them but I have had them refused on buses and in convenience stores.

Maybe next time make it loud and clear that he/she dares to refuse a highly placed person?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Exactly. Much ado about nothing. To quote the American expression, 'Take it to the bank'.

What a waste of time - don't accept them in the first place. I've told cashiers a number of time over the years to give me a clean note when they handed me a bad one. You only get bad ones as change from a shop, so simply opening your eyes avoids the problem.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Only shops that don't price their items in fractions of baht (satang) will refuse to accept them. The 7Elevens love them and will take as many as you've got.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I had the same experience when I lived in Thailand. What I did was to put them in a small pot and when I had collected 20 bahts worth, put them in a small poly bag and took them back to the Tesco-Lotus where I had originally received them. The Customer Service desk exchanged them for a 20 baht note and re-circulated them back in the tills.

20 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I had the same experience when I lived in Thailand. What I did was to put them in a small pot and when I had collected 20 bahts worth, put them in a small poly bag and took them back to the Tesco-Lotus where I had originally received them. The Customer Service desk exchanged them for a 20 baht note and re-circulated them back in the tills.

Thais bang on about the monarchy yet these small coins are refused.  I was once rebuked for putting bank notes in my back pocket then sitting down on it!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1