Felicia, 25, in a coma after accident on Samui - family struggling to bring her home

webfact

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

There is not actual mention of a collision involving another vehicle.

Yes, there is...

"At the same time, another moped driver came from behind and tried to overtake Felicia and her crashed moped. During the overtaking, Felicia received a violent blow to the head...".

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Since only about 6% of travellers even buy travel medical insurance, if it were to be mandated, it would probably have no problem covering the risky people. I say just mandate it, and charge the riskier travelers a higher rate. I doubt you would even notice any increased costs to yourself.

Of course, mandating insurance and forcing insurers to cover anything that happens will absolutely drive the cost down, great thinking. 

How will you determine which travelers are higher risk? 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Of course, mandating insurance and forcing insurers to cover anything that happens will absolutely drive the cost down, great thinking. 

6 people paying for insurance now, or 100 people paying for insurance, its pretty obvious the costs (premiums) more likely would go down. Riskier can be based on medical history, insurance history, claim history, age, etc. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, roo860 said:
8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

The person who drove Felicia has been questioned by the police and released without a report being drawn up”

That's the person on another motorbike that collided with her? So no report drawn up.

Does anyone use the word "drive" when referring to motorbikes? 

When I read the article it was clear that someone drove her to the hospital and described what happened to the police.

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That's the insurers job, I'm pretty sure they know how to evaluate risk!

4 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Stupid is as stupid does, it seems like many stupid people come to Thailand and get on motorbikes.

With no training or experience beforehand let alone moto licence, insurance and crash helmet. Applies to tourists, ex-pats, digital nomads plus Thai's of course.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, anchadian said:

Have you considered that this article was taken from a Swedish report and translated into the English language?

Lost in translation? 

5 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Quite possibly although not proof reading a Google translation is still lazy reporting.

Are you fluent in Swedish and read the Aftonbladet newspaper daily?

8 hours ago, BE88 said:

Another tragedy, but how can you go on holiday in Thailand, famous for its terrible insecurity roads without any insurance?

I'd cut her some slack on the lack of insurance.   Coming from any of the nanny states, I can see where she may have assumed she was legal and insured, because you wouldn't be able to rent a vehicle back home unless you are.

The bigger questions are how can someone rent out a vehicle without confirming the renter is licensed to legally operate the vehicle, and how is it that a vehicle with no insurance can be registered and rented out?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2