Odd behavior at a theater.

Felton Jarvis

34 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I recently attended a movie at a local theater, here in Pattaya and noticed that during the King’s Anthem, many remained seated.  I was under the impression that this was legally actionable. From what I could tell, those who remained seated were both young and Thai. One guy actually smirked at me as I stood. I have never seen this before. If I am going to have to go to jail, it will damn sure be over something other than failing to stand for the anthem. I try to obey local laws wherever I am.  Any input on this would be welcome.

The times they are a changin'

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, champers said:

Interesting to see in smaller businesses whose picture adorns the wall  ...  and whose doesn't.

When I worked at a university in Alabama, I kept a portrait of Chulalongkorn on my office wall. People kept asking me if it was Chairman Mao. I soon had to take it down and put up a picture of Jesus. So much for academic freedom.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, champers said:

Interesting to see in smaller businesses whose picture adorns the wall  ...  and whose doesn't.

Portraits use to be hung in almost all Thai houses. Now very few. Following the trend of the movie goers. 

Bashing Alabama will not inflame me. I have lived in Thailand happily for eight years. I didn’t leave because I liked it, I left because I retired. To most Americans, not just Alabamians, The Chairman and Chula look fairly similar. Alabama is not known for its consumption of Asian culture.

15 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Bashing Alabama will not inflame me. I have lived in Thailand happily for eight years. I didn’t leave because I liked it, I left because I retired. To most Americans, not just Alabamians, The Chairman and Chula look fairly similar. Alabama is not known for its consumption of Asian culture.

If I had a dollar for every American that heard Taiwan when I said Thailand, well I'd have some more money anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1