Stranded British man seeks help as wife takes passport and sails away

snoop1130

Just says British tourist had a family fall out and wife run off with his passport ect 

So both on holiday had a tiff take it she had the flight tickets as well police can check if she has left the Country 

If she has his option is contact the British Embassy and get a emergency passport ect 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

How do you know he hasn’t done that? You spoke to him or the police?

Oh, I am sure he has made a report for a stolen passport... he needs that for the passport office to issue a new one - a report of lost or stolen passport... and he did not 'lose' it .. so it would have to be 'stolen'...  They write it down on a pad, give you a copy of it, and file another copy of it... and that is it.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

If he's got any sense, he'll let her go. Permanently. He's in the right country to find plenty of nicer female company. Maybe this should be seen as a good opportumity to ditch the b.i.t.c.h!

I wonder if that was the basis of the argument?...I mean, taking her husband's passport is quite serious when n another country.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
48 minutes ago, impulse said:

Somebody please catch me up here...  I'm not seeing any indication, except guesses, whether the wife is Thai or a foreign national, or a Brit....

Obviously a Brit, or they would have added to the click bait

I'd characterize that as a guess.

BTW, the reason I'm curious is that it paints the guy in a whole different light depending on whether he's a noob tourist or married to a local.

Edited by impulse

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

He would also need to report the theft to the police (IIRC it costs about 20 baht).

With that report he can report the missing passport to the British embassy, and they can issue something like a temporary passport/travel document.

I think he should inform Immigration as well.

Not to mention that he would also require a police report to enable him to replace his existing passport (which would be classed as lost and stolen) once back in the UK in any event. Even if his wife were to hand him back his existing passport once their return flight had touched down at LHR (or wherever) it would, to all intents and purposes, be useless for future foreign travel if HMPO had already taken steps to cancel it electronically in the meantime, most likely as a consequence of his applying for an emergency travel document. The link below sets out how he needs to go about obtainng such a document from the British Embassy in Bangkok:

https://www.gov.uk/travel-urgently-from-abroad-without-uk-passport

He should IMHO definitely alert Immigration at the earliest opportunity particularly if, as a result of all this shenanigans, he looks like overstaying on the existing 30-day visa-exempt permission to stay presumably granted to him when he entered Thailand. Although he would, in theory, be eligible for a further 30-day permission to stay this might, in practice, prove easier said than done to obtain on the basis of an emergency travel document - and definitely impossible, I would say, if he was in complete limbo without any formal travel document in his possession at the time he otherwise needed to apply for a 30-day extension. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

The police may persuade her to return the passport, it's very inconvenient to lose a passport especially if he's got a bunch of active visas in there.

If not then sure, have her arrested and get a new one or emergency travel document which of course requires a police report.

I wonder if his wife is also from the UK and booked on the same flight back home?

Despite the typically vague reporting I believe this is a couple from the UK who've had a row while on holiday.

Sounds like she grabbed her bag and left, probably not realising both their passports were in "her" bag. 

Reporting her for theft doesn't sound like the best way to deal with a marital spat, unless he wants to escalate things to the point of divorce.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Despite the typically vague reporting I believe this is a couple from the UK who've had a row while on holiday.

Sounds like she grabbed her bag and left, probably not realising both their passports were in "her" bag. 

Reporting her for theft doesn't sound like the best way to deal with a marital spat, unless he wants to escalate things to the point of divorce.

Probably? 5555 no. She would have seen it. Couples travel on the same flight. There is no excuse for what she did.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Or is it just the citizens of the country that have problem with a little paperwork and have to complain as always?

You have got to be kidding, right! Bet you're a national of a country which doesn't subject its expats in Thailand to the rigours of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience every 9/10 years or so! I would strongly advise you to take the considerable time out needed in order to learn, mark and inwardly digest all the contents of the following link so as to fully appreciate the convoluted bureaucratic nonsense we Brits in LOS are faced with at passport renewal time. More than just "a little paperwork" involved, I think!!

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

Edited by OJAS

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

You have got to be kidding, right! Bet you're a national of a country which doesn't subject its expats in Thailand to the rigours of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience every 9/10 years or so! I would strongly advise you to take the considerable time out needed in order to learn, mark and inwardly digest all the contents of the following link so as to fully appreciate the convoluted bureaucratic nonsense we Brits in LOS are faced with at passport renewal time. More than just "a little paperwork" involved, I think!!

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

Thats normal. Takes 6 weeks in other countries. My gf get hers in 1 week.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not easy to get a new British passport, 

May not be easy but if she is gone itay be only option.  Either way going to make divorce interesting.  Also would like to hear her side.  Betting there is more to the story 

10 hours ago, timendres said:

Years ago, my wife burned my passport during a difficult divorce.

Almost the same with  me!

The witch now ex witch ,took my passport 2 days before coming to Thailand!

Fortunately I was  able to procure a new one ,the day before my departure!

She was famous for taking my car keys and wallet!

Glad those days are long over!

This guy has learned the hard way ,like most, me thinks!

Good luck getting it sorted Phuket man!

Just now, riclag said:

Almost the same with  me!

The witch now ex witch ,took my passport 2 days before coming to Thailand!

Fortunately I was  able to procure a new one ,the day before my departure!

She was famous for taking my car keys and wallet!

Glad those days are long over!

This guy has learned the hard way ,like most, me thinks!

Good luck getting it sorted Phuket man!

A passport in 1 day? Not possible

• Confused 1

Just now, bignok said:

A passport in 1 day? Not possible

I use to Live 100 miles away from the New Hampshire passport regional center!  2 hour drive , 4 hour wait!

They asked me what happened to the old one ! I told them my wife in a fit of rage stole it and wouldn’t admit to it!So it was a emergency !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riclag said:

I use to Live 100 miles away from the New Hampshire passport regional center!  2 hour drive , 4 hour wait!

They asked me what happened to the old one ! I told them my wife in a fit of rage stole it and wouldn’t admit to it!So it was a emergency !

What year was this?

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, OJAS said:

fully appreciate the convoluted bureaucratic nonsense we Brits in LOS are faced with at passport renewal time. More than just "a little paperwork" involved, I think!!

Not really.

Just apply by filling out some simple forms.

It aint rocket surgery.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1