Thai ‘super app’ set to launch with 10,000-baht digital wallet scheme

webfact

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I read that the digital money must be spent within 4 km of your home within 6 months. Impossible for my Mrs as the nearest town with a Lotus or 7-11 is 13 km away.

There would be quite a percentage of the eligible population in similar situations; we spent a year in Sa Kaeo it was 26km to 'civilisation' at Khao Chakan if you rate a 7-11 and mini-Lotus as qualifying, 45km to Sa Kaeo town. Nearer our home there were just little family stores, hardware and farm supplies. 

Where we are now, Chanthaburi province in a town of 7,000 and 15km to C city, not a whole lot of big spending options other than Lotus supermarket and four 7-11s. We'll 'buy' the two daughters 10k and spend on household expenses they can shop themselves out at in the city with cash. 

I'll need to negotiate an exchange rate! 

8 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

There would be quite a percentage of the eligible population in similar situations; we spent a year in Sa Kaeo it was 26km to 'civilisation' at Khao Chakan if you rate a 7-11 and mini-Lotus as qualifying, 45km to Sa Kaeo town. Nearer our home there were just little family stores, hardware and farm supplies. 

Where we are now, Chanthaburi province in a town of 7,000 and 15km to C city, not a whole lot of big spending options other than Lotus supermarket and four 7-11s. We'll 'buy' the two daughters 10k and spend on household expenses they can shop themselves out at in the city with cash. 

I'll need to negotiate an exchange rate! 

That's a good idea as we too have two teenagers who qualify. But to spend Bht 30000 in our local little shop in 6 months is nigh on impossible as she only sells Chang & Singha & Sang Som. And of course, it must be a shop with digital facilities.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Not all app functionalities will be operational immediately but will be activated as required.

This article in another paper had the word However, at the beginning of this sentence.  I knew it was doomed the second I saw, "However, not all app functionalities will be operational immediately..."

9 minutes ago, proton said:

Was cash driven, now they won't even take it at the cinema and many places have online payment preferred signs at restaurants 

True, but gonna be centuries before the rural mom and pop stores and the street vendors only or even accept digital payments.

5 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Have you been to London recently? Its actually rare maybe 1 out of 10 restaurants that will accept cash......I couldnt believe it when I went back home

The same will happen here within the next few years

This is why they are doing this handout to try and get mom and pop stores onto digital payments

its all VERY sinister indeed

Every outlet was doing scans in the covid handouts, even tiny garden centres and veg sellers. As for at home in UK if you want to take a few K out of your account in cash they insist on knowing what it's for and why you need it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

and johnny foreigner gonna be paying for it through his hard earned money abroad.

you know what to do folks, vote with your soles exposed to these clowns! 

My pension is due to start in 2025.. time to see what happens.

If they go ahead with taxing it I won't be here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I read that the digital money must be spent within 4 km of your home within 6 months. Impossible for my Mrs as the nearest town with a Lotus or 7-11 is 13 km away.

Will village shops that are not registered for VAT and whose owners don't file tax returns qualify for the digital wallet anyway? I doubt it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Will village shops that are not registered for VAT and whose owners don't file tax returns qualify for the digital wallet anyway? I doubt it.

Will the digital money remain as such, so that the shopkeeper can only use it to replenish their stock ?

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Impossible for my whole village, and at least 2 surrounding ones...