69 days until Christmas. Feelin festive yet?

bob smith

uncle bob is starting to feel a bit cheery at the moment

could be the 3 beers ive sank but it could also be that christmas is right around the corner.

I personally still love christmas,

not so much the day itself

but the build up/decorations etc

oh, and the copius amounts of food and alcohol. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I am an Atheist, my family are Buddhists. What's Christmas?

Same old music in Lotus's from three different sources starting fairly soon I would imagine, silly stuff for sale in Makro, daft old films on telly. 

Wonder how they'll celebrate in Israel.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Same old music in Lotus's from three different sources starting fairly soon I would imagine, silly stuff for sale in Makro, daft old films on telly. 

miserable git

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

You just don't know how hard being rested actually is. I'm worn out day after day.

Change jobs or retire. Life's too short.

What do you do to be so knackered?

Edited by KannikaP

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Christian aspect of Christmas dead many decades ago. For me dead 50 years ago after a run in with an army chaplain.

Just discussing where to take the family for  Christmas dinner in CM on 25 Dec. 

This year already decided to take a break from Dukes.

22 hours ago, KannikaP said:

One widespread explanation of the origin of the date is that December 25 was the Christianizing of the dies solis invicti nati (“day of the birth of the unconquered sun”), a popular holiday in the Roman Empire that celebrated the winter solstice as a symbol of the resurgence of the sun, the casting away of winter and the heralding of the rebirth of spring and summer.  After December 25 had become widely accepted as the date of Jesus’ birth, Christian writers frequently made the connection between the rebirth of the sun and the birth of the Son. 

Basically, theft of a pagan ritual celebrating the natural changing of the seasons.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KannikaP said:

My Buddhist wife makes more of a fuss about Christmas than I do. I keep trying to tell her that there's no need for her arrange anything on my behalf. She knows full well that I'm a none believer, but as always, she takes no notice.

You know what Thais are like, any excuse for a party, even if its some one else's excuse!

17 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

One widespread explanation of the origin of the date is that December 25 was the Christianizing of the dies solis invicti nati (“day of the birth of the unconquered sun”), a popular holiday in the Roman Empire that celebrated the winter solstice as a symbol of the resurgence of the sun, the casting away of winter and the heralding of the rebirth of spring and summer.  After December 25 had become widely accepted as the date of Jesus’ birth, Christian writers frequently made the connection between the rebirth of the sun and the birth of the Son. 

Basically, theft of a pagan ritual celebrating the natural changing of the seasons.

Very interesting answer, thanks. So I AM allowed to have a big dinner to celebrate the Solstice without any religious BS. 

• Haha 2

Is it time for the Christmas Jokes thread yet??

Our office has three Christmas trees, they never get taken down (for at least 5 years I've been here), the girls just put new batteries in the lights.

Just now, Crossy said:

Is it time for the Christmas Jokes thread yet??

Not before 1st December please, before which NO Xmas songs, merchandise, BS should be.

I wonder if Elon called Twitter X because he thinks he is the Messiah. Xmusk!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Some of us earnt our money before living in Thailand, enjoy your sour grapes.

chris daley will be clocking on when we are enjoying our glass of wine and fresh fish breakfast with our loved ones.

But you go for it Chris!! someones gotta keep the world spinning 😄 

• Love It 1