Thai PM adviser urges police to improve criminal record updating system

webfact

image.jpeg

Pichai Naripthaphan, previously holding the position of energy minister and presently advising Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, has urged the Royal Thai Police (RTP) to enhance their criminal record database updating system.

The need for this improvement was highlighted when Pichai found his name still listed on the national police database during background checks, despite being cleared of all criminal offences.

Pichai recently underwent a background check following his appointment as an adviser to the 61 year old prime minister. During this process, he discovered his criminal record was yet to be cleaned on the database, an essential requirement for his new role. “After I was appointed to the position of PM’s adviser, they ran a criminal background check. And as it turned out, the record was still there,” he explained.

Earlier, Pichai was implicated in three cases initiated by the former PM, Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, all of which have been dismissed by the prosecutors. These accusations were based on the critical comments Pichai made on the internet about the Prayut administration’s ineffective economic policies, and were considered violations of the Computer Crime Act.

by Mitch Connor

TOP: Pichai Naripthaphan. Photo: www2.mof.go.th

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Pichai Naripthaphan has urged the Royal Thai Police (RTP) to enhance their criminal record database updating system.

The need for this improvement was highlighted when Pichai found his name still listed on the national police database during background checks, despite being cleared of all criminal offences.

I commend him for his utter selflessness

5 hours ago, Karma80 said:

To be honest, I've lost track of which ministers, senators and politicians have criminal pasts. I just assume the majority do now and since they made merit, they are now outstanding members of the community. 😛

Best to think they all have unless proven not to.

• Like 1

I still find it unbelievable that you are deemed to have a 'criminal record' if you're charged with a crime - regardless of the outcome of the trial.

There is a solution to this.

The courts should be the only ones allowed to ever update a criminal record database based on judgements handed down by the judges.

If someone is convicted then the record is added, if not then nothing should be done.

Police records (notes and such) should be regarded as pretty much irrelevant.

Edited by ukrules