Thai education embraces UK programmes to boost English language proficiency

webfact

1 minute ago, Bim Smith said:

Way good man. We Brits know English proper innit. Mad for it man. Not bothered though. Do I look bothered. What you lookin at. 

Sin me crip bro. Meanwhile in Yorkshire when you are asked Where have you been it will be translated to " Where's Tha bin Thee"

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

<kidding>

And could we PLEASE teach these kids it's SOCCER, not FOOTBALL?!?

</kidding>

Only Americans call it soccer,...For the rest of the world it's "FOOTBALL" !!!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, hitext said:

I try not to be pedantic about grammar, but I do think saying "I would of, could of or should of" should result in a long jail sentence.

One I hear quite often that grates one down from "could / should of" etc. is oso instead of also.  😡

Perhaps the English language needs a total overhaul first?  A good start would be to remove all the words that sound the same but are spelt differently and remove all the words that are spelt differently but are pronounced the same.  Then remove all the words that sound the same but have different meanings.  Finally simplify the grammar, removing words that are spelt totally differently based on tense.  Of course there are many more inconsistencies in the language that need tidying up as well...

7 hours ago, fluffs said:

Most of the so called foreign teachers I've come across are no more teachers than I am.

Maybe because they don't need to be.  Most Thai students (and Thai teachers)  don't even know basic English.  They need to be taught that first and the basic qualification for that is either be a native speaker or It's your 2nd language.    And then maybe when they're finally at a decent level of English (ten years) they could need some actual real teachers.  

The main problem in teaching Thais to speak English is that in the Thai language only a very few sounds can end a word. Perhaps 6 or 7 out of a consonant alphabet of 44.  For example if a Thai word ends in 'S' it's pronounced as a 'T',  an 'L'  becomes 'N' and there are many others just like that.  Hence 'Lotus'  is  'Lotat'.   Oh, and of course 'R' and 'L' are virtually interchangeable, hence the flied lice jokes.

18 hours ago, Robin said:

Firt let's ge away from the mistaken idea that just because a person can speak English, thy can teach others to speak English.  'Teaching English as a Foreign language"  (TOEFL) is a skill that needs to be learned before you even start teaching.  Best thing that Thailand could do would be to recruit and employ qualified teachers and forget the idea that every English speaker living in Thailand is qualified to teach.

This is going to cost a lot of money, so mot unlikely to happen.

Let me guess, you are a teacher?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Let me guess, you are a teacher?

He has a point though. Thailand seems to think having any type of degree is more valid than a proper TEFL/TESOL qualification!  TEFL jobs in the UK and Europe are often as badly paid as they are in Thailand, but most insist on a CELTA or Trinity TESOL qualification as a minimum.

23 hours ago, Robin said:

Firt let's ge away from the mistaken idea that just because a person can speak English, thy can teach others to speak English.  'Teaching English as a Foreign language"  (TOEFL) is a skill that needs to be learned before you even start teaching.

I would add to the qualifications required that a teacher must also have an "acceptable" accent. As a non native english speaker (proficient with 4 other european languages), I find that certain native speakers have accents which are rather painful to hear. I know this is a delicate and obviously subjective matter, but it also has to be said.

On 10/20/2023 at 3:32 PM, BarraMarra said:

Sin me crip bro. Meanwhile in Yorkshire when you are asked Where have you been it will be translated to " Where's Tha bin Thee"

😂.... my dad used to say if someone is ignoring you they are cockin a deafen

On 10/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, billd766 said:

That is not correct either as English is a context based language.

Take the words so, or sew, or sow or sow.

They sound alike but are written differently and have different meanings.

For instance so means 2 things, as an adverb or as a conjunction.

Sew means needlework, and is a verb and can be used in past participle, sowed or sewn, sews in present participle.

But not to be confused with sow meaning to plant seeds or sow, the same spelling, but different pronunciation meaning a female pig.

And that is only one word, if used in a different context can mean something completely different.

IMHO the English language is easy to parrot but hard to get the right context.

That is without British regional variations.

Now if you go to English wot is spoke in other areas of the world you can end up with

English English

US English

Canadian English

Australian English

Indian English 

Pakistan English 

Philippine English.

and all the other versions of English (with regional variations) spoken worldwide.

There is no laid down version of a standard English language as most English speaking countries have incorporated bits of their own language as well.

Good luck to anybody who teaches English and better luck to the students.

Imagine a class of Thai students, who in their first year are are taught by a teacher from Glasgow with a broad accent, the next year they are taught by an Indian English teacher and in the 3drd year by an Australian.

It would be like learning a new language every year.

Not talking about written grammar, just verbal communication. With today's technology, most written correspondence is done by computer which has the ability to correct their grammar. If they are (like they said) going to supply all students with tablets. Plus English is spoken in many different accents, so why not introduce students to them early. What you're saying is, they can't do it so don't try it!

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, aseanfan said:

Perhaps the English language needs a total overhaul first?  A good start would be to remove all the words that sound the same but are spelt differently and remove all the words that are spelt differently but are pronounced the same.  Then remove all the words that sound the same but have different meanings.  Finally simplify the grammar, removing words that are spelt totally differently based on tense.  Of course there are many more inconsistencies in the language that need tidying up as well...

555 best not ask a Thai student to spell Psalm.

22 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

Not talking about written grammar, just verbal communication. With today's technology, most written correspondence is done by computer which has the ability to correct their grammar. If they are (like they said) going to supply all students with tablets. Plus English is spoken in many different accents, so why not introduce students to them early. What you're saying is, they can't do it so don't try it!

No I did NOT say quote from you post "they can't do it so don't try it!"

What is needed is a standardised English language program in every Thai school, public and private, that will be the same for every pupil, and if that means ALL the teachers have to learn it first, then good. 

There are so many different version of English in use worldwide that there must be a version, possibly from the UK, US or elsewhere available that is also available free on the internet. Then students can get to more advanced levels at home

if they are interested.

English has many words that sound the same, even spelled the same but have different meanings, some have the same sound but are spelled differently and mean different things.

An example could be  "He sat on the bough of a tree, fired his bow, and gave a bow to his lady."

Two words. two spell and three meanings.

To, too, two. Three words that sound the same, all spelled differently and mean different things in different contexts.