Thai airlines weigh in on passenger pounds

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why?

Because it's unacceptable but if you like it instead, to be overcharged or forced to change your seat or even denied to boarding (not yet but could be in the future) due to your weight well take a seat

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, blazes said:

In Asia, there is generally no problem with obesity (so, yes, this may just be an opportunity to gouge further).

In the US of A on the other hand....

Open your eyes when you walk in the streets of the LOS.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

I am all for paying for over a base weight and you Should need to pay for a wider or double seat if you will intrude on nearby seats.  Its obvious that a 50 kg person costs much less fuel than a 120kg person. 

Because of the fat people inside the aeroplane the arodynamics is changing ?
Do a research how many tons of kerosin get released worldwide before every landing and then tell us again that the airlines want to save fuel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fleccer said:

Because it's unacceptable but if you like it instead, to be overcharged or forced to change your seat

What's more unacceptable is for you to claim, falsely, that that is what is happening.   Try reading the article again and quote the part where extra charges or booked seat changes were mentioned.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's more unacceptable is for you to claim, falsely, that that is what is happening.   Try reading the article again and quote the part where extra charges or booked seat changes were mentioned.

In fact in parentheses I said not yet but could be in the future So before to accused me to spread false information learn to read please learn to read

Edited by fleccer
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, digbeth said:

there's been a few crash due to bad weigh distribution, biggest one recently was 747 that took off from Kabul and crash due to bad weight distribution in 2013

I've researched and it was a cargo airplane carrying 270 tonnes. Part of this very heavy weight wasn't secured and "went through the bulkhead and disabled two hydraulic systems, making the aircraft uncontrollable."

Still, nothing to do with a small (and fixed, not shifting) imbalance between passengers on different parts of the plane. They just want another way to charge more money, that's it.

13 hours ago, arick said:

Maybe they should start running the airlines by diesel cuz the diesel prices are really low again

Jet Fuel pretty much is diesel - current price  (and of course it fluctuates) is close to 55 Cents USD/Litre. Wish I could buy diesel at that price!

11 hours ago, fleccer said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

In fact in parentheses I said not yet but could be in the future So before to accused me to spread false information learn to read please learn to read

You are deliberately spreading false information by suggesting that that is the intention of the data collection when there has, in fact, been no indication, whatsoever, of that being the case so please learn to read your own comments before accusing me of not being able to read.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2023 at 6:41 AM, Ben Zioner said:

Dual pricing down the road? Maybe not, most  Thai men, and even women, weigh more than my [modest] 85Kg.

Really? Might be outside McDonalds but don't think this is generally representative of the local populace. Move around a bit, bro.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Any airline that weighs me or my luggage is an airline I will never travel with again. Just say no.

You may not be aware of this, but when you put your luggage on the conveyor belt at the check-in counter it is weighed and the weight is automatically recorded in a database as part of an estimation of the flight's take-off weight.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:31 PM, Bobydog said:

This practice was alive and well years ago in the Philippines, don't know about now, it's been a while.

Depends if your a salad dodger like Some Yanks 300 Ib plus have to pay for 2 seats.

Edited by BarraMarra

On 10/20/2023 at 9:04 PM, dcalaska said:

The average weight of a passenger with luggage is 84 KGs. Ticket prices should be set on this average weight. Paid at booking.

Step 2: At check-in, weight the luggage AND the passenger. If the weight is under 84 KGs, a refund is due to the fuel saving lighter passenger and luggage.

If the total weight is over 84 KGs, the fuel consuming heavy passenger must pay a fuel surcharge.

Simple as that. Fairness is good for everyone. Everybody wins. How can you argue that.

Average weight for a Thai person with luggage?