Thai neurosurgeon frustration over brain surgery delay

snoop1130

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The patient, however, refused to proceed with the surgery as it fell on a day when astrologically, the planet ‘Rahu’ was transitioning. This transition, according to some beliefs, could bring misfortune.

It's the Thai culture.

Superstition is an odd disease. Religion, haruspicy, astrology, Kabbala; people find some relief or happiness in these mental diseases. 

I have little reason to disagree with what my local buddhists do at their temple, it's not my responsibility. But, if take an example, my wife became a member of a temple cult and gave 20 million baht away to the temple then it would become my business.

In general I am very tolerant of superstitious views that don't harm me. The question being posed though is rather different insofar as this patient is possibly self-harming by delaying the surgery. His self harm doesn't affect or impact me in any way, so why should I even need to have any view about it as a single case. But suppose the case came where hundreds of thousands of patients were delaying necessary surgery and many deaths were occurring? My view would be that this is undesirable and silly. But what action should society take to prevent this rash of deaths due to a superstition. If you would agree that action by society to prevent self harm would be desirable, why would some intervention be necessary in individual cases? 

Is it a numbers game? For example if 250,000 people delayed surgery and 10,000 were determined to have died because of the superstition, would than be enough for society to take action and say 'crush' the superstition? Suppose only 45 died as a result of delaying surgery? would society as whole be justified in forcing people to have surgery to have it when the surgeon says, or to take action to crush the superstition (or religion). 

Of course I don't have any answers, but there is a huge relevance to our own time with COVID lockdowns and resultant depressions, suicides and so on; forced vaccinations which have poisoned some people. What was distressing was that science that we rely on to be impartial, turned out to have no answers, suppressed answers or political answers. 

Sorry for the rant; it is a slow news day.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If the patient is on any kind of government subsidized health plan then he should be given the choice of following the doctor's recommendation or paying for it himself when the time arrives that he likes; otherwise, if his condition has deteriorated by then, he is taking resources away from other patients.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, scorecard said:

True, friends MIL won't go inside modern hospitals because doctors, nurses and customers don't take off their shoes at the door. 

Friend's mother-in-law has a point. Hospitals are full of sick people, to be avoided at the best of times. Treading in all manner of dirt from the street is contributing to infections. 

Edited by The Fugitive
Grammatical error.
  • Thumbs Up 1