My first trip to Thailand. 1986.

sipi

On 10/21/2023 at 4:00 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Well done but it made me feel less unique and special. Beat you by a month. 

December 1985 Stayed at Narai Hotel in Bangkok with girlfriend

Overnight bus to Chiang Mai

Then to Chaing Rai and on a raft for 2 nights up to Burma border

Stay at hilltribe for a night. Strange sounds in the night. Heavy hill tribe lady massage.  Bit sick next day.

Fly Chiang Mai Bangkok to Surat Thani. Feeling sick on overnight boat to the island

Three days on Koh Samui. Had hash cookies and freaked me out a bit. Marijuana and me not a good combination. Ride around Koh Samui on motorbike. No insurance. The things we do. 

Bangkok

A week in Burma Rangoon Mandalay Pagan Met a guy in Mandalay who said we could stay in his brothers farm and go on to Pagan  ..so we did. 

Home in empty Qantas plane that arrived Christmas day. Gave us lots of drinks which was nice. 

unnamed(1).thumb.jpg.71fd9cef236ddeeaa55eb5991ad62dc9.jpgunnamed(2).thumb.jpg.912bb370ae2ec39735c33f3ba471ee6b.jpgunnamed(4).thumb.jpg.a4c963b42bbd2cbe5e72878d51908621.jpgunnamed.thumb.jpg.1b986ee98fe2a038bd6e3841a0635236.jpg

I was working on a project in Singapore (from Oz) in 1981 when the company suffered a major serious break down in it's manufacturing equipment. Estimated to take 1 week to get the replacements parts from Europe to S'pore.

My manager in S'pore suggesed I take a holiday for 1 week and he offered a sponsored return airfare to any nearby country.

He asked "Have you ever been to Thailand?"  I said "NO" and a few hours later I landed in Bkk with a 4 star hotel booking on Silom, first 2 nights already paid.

Taxi driver played games with 'never heard of the hotel, never mind i take you to better hotel'. I got out on the forecourt of the 'better hotel' and asked the bell boy where my booked hotel was located. The boy laughed and pointed to the next building. He carried my suitcase next door, both hotels same owner.

Next morning I hailed a taxi, driver agreed to take me to a spices and herbs shop (I had the name and address). Taxi driver took me to a jewelery shop inside a compound with high walls and big gates. Two hours later I stood at the big closed gates and eventually the shop owner unlocked the gates. I bought nothing.

And more for 7 days. Quite an experience for a very young naive Ozzie boy. 

At the end of the project i went back to OZ but got quickly transferred to Singapore office and then to Thailand. 

Many years later I applied for Thailand Permanent Residency and got it, that's 27+ years back. Been here ever since. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sheist said:

I remember Kloster.  They were the Heineken here in the early 1990's.  

And a good drop. Times change with beer, I was recently given a full big box of San Miguel light cans and I quite like it. Since bought a big box of cans.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

I did all that in 1988, and more married my wife from kanchanaburi, bought a farm in Kanchanaburi,Lumsum 

Still with wife still farming!

😂

I dont think prasopsuk operates as a hotel these days, I could be wrong, but looked very dead last year,

Could contain:

Edited by cowellandrew
  • Love It 1

You missed the vegemite "sandwich". Big mistake. That would likely have been the highlight of your trip. Forget the temples. 

My first trip to Thailand I spent a week in Phuket in 1976, there were only a few $3 a night resorts on the West Coast, and land was 1,000 Baht per rai, oceanfront. Nobody wanted it. Those were the days. Thailand was very funky and undeveloped. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

He was in the red light district for an hour one day. 

I only went to say I've been there.

I remember being told that if you have sex before you're married, you get cast into an eternal pit of fire and brimstone.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:42 PM, nauseus said:

Was there a shag or BJ in there anywhere?

If like me he probably didn't include that side of his Thai adventures in his diary for others to read.

BTW BJs were a rare occurrence in my limited experience in the first years of my adventures in LOS. and the sex was very routine. The idea that BGs indulge in acrobatic sex was an urban myth.

On my very first trip to LOS, a two week bus tour via Malaya from Singapore in the 70s, it was a lesson in how not to have a holiday in LOS, as I doubt there was a single thing I got right.

I did get to go to an American GI bar with curtained shagging booths and live sex in a box with 2 very bored Thais. Not a happy memory.

I discovered one of the huge soapies in Bkk but went there on New year's eve when the "masseuse" was in a rush so she could go to the staff party, so was just disappointing.

Another attempt at a "massage" was when I paid for one hour and she only got as far as my knees before the time was up. I didn't have enough on me to stay longer. I didn't even get a flash as she remained fully clothed throughout. I used to wonder what would have happened had I had more money, for years after, as she was very beautiful.

On that trip I had my one and only experience of a pimp. A vile disgusting man. Thankfully I never experienced such again in LOS.

When I started going to LOS more frequently, I still had to learn many lessons the hard way, but in the end I more or less got to the desired level of knowledge, and then I went and ruined it by getting married- the greatest mistake of all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sipi said:

I only went to say I've been there.

I remember being told that if you have sex before you're married, you get cast into an eternal pit of fire and brimstone.

Bit like me going to KSR once a trip just to say I'd been there. It looked like bagpacker hell to me.

After Patpong became a horrid night market I only went there once a trip to remind myself why I didn't go there anymore.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, radiochaser said:

He was in the red light district for an hour one day. 

Actually, just a couple of quick "red light" stories from that era. Neither of them are mine, but from close friends so I can vouch for their authenticity....

Mike was having a beer at the bar when a naked lady hopped up in front of him and swatted down and asked him his name and where he is from. He replied that he was Mike from Australia.

So she inserted a felt tip pen and swatted over a sheet of white cardboard (kindergarten paper) and wrote "hello Mike from" and then leant forward and asked "how do you spell Australia"

Clarry told me they used to line coins up along the bar and the bar maid would hop along the bar in the squat position and pick up all the coins with her middle bit.

Occasionally they would heat the end one up with a cigarette lighter, and when she picked that one up (after picking up all the rest first) it would sound like a slot machine had hit the jackpot as she spat all the coins back out.