Can I extend my retirement visa by 30 days. tm.7 ?

26 minutes ago, BusyTraveller said:

Can I extend the Visa by 30 days with a TM7?

No.

You could do a border run without reentry permit and obtain a 30 day stamp (visa exempt entry) that permit can be extended by 30 days if required

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Technically, probably no.

But ... never hurts to ask at IO.  I screwed up the paperwork/bank one time, and IO simply extended my visa 30 days so I could sort it out.

They can use their discretion any time, especially when it comes to retirement visa.  At worse, as suggested, just do a border hop.

Playing devil's advocate, I don't see why the OP can't do what he's proposing.

The copy of the TM7 that I have on file says "I wish to apply for an extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom for another period of...........days"

Why can't he put 30 in there? I always think it's a bit strange that I have to state 365 days rather than 1 year. I would apply for 30 and if they don't like it he can do a border run.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I screwed up the paperwork/bank one time, and IO simply extended my visa 30 days so I could sort it out

Have NEVER heard of anything remotely similar.

The OP mentions "visa" so presumably he is on non O based on retirement or is on 12 month extension.

Either way there is zero chance of io giving a 30 day extension.

If he had a Thai wife he could obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have NEVER heard of anything remotely similar.

The OP mentions "visa" so presumably he is on non O based on retirement or is on 12 month extension.

Either way there is zero chance of io giving a 30 day extension.

If he had a Thai wife he could obtain 60 day extension to visit wife.

And yet I got one without even asking ... go figure.

• Like 1

Do you need the entire extra 30 days?

I don't think you can do a TM7 for this but I recall a number of reports in the past of people being late by some days on their annual extension and allowed to proceed by paying a per day overstay fine.

However, I don't have a clue how you would manage such an attempt, and it's not something I would ever want to try myself (to go in late). 

Maybe someone else can advise.

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Technically, probably no.

But ... never hurts to ask at IO.  I screwed up the paperwork/bank one time, and IO simply extended my visa 30 days so I could sort it out.

They can use their discretion any time, especially when it comes to retirement visa.  At worse, as suggested, just do a border hop.

I would be most interested in knowing the reason under the relevant police order for giving you a 30-day extension when on a Non Immigrant entry. The only common reasons are medical, court case or special request by your embassy. Even a high ranking immigration official cannot give you an extension without using one of the official categories. Perhaps, you could post a scan of the extension stamp.

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I would be most interested in knowing the reason under the relevant police order for giving you a 30-day extension when on a Non Immigrant entry. The only common reasons are medical, court case or special request by your embassy. Even a high ranking immigration official cannot give you an extension without using one of the official categories. Perhaps, you could post a scan of the extension stamp.

For 100k baht I will ... the fee for suggesting I'm being deceptive.   Put up, or shut up.  I'm sure we can find a mutual member to hold the funds.

I can show you all 3 stamps, one showing extension expiration date, extending date, then one extending for the next year.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

For 10k baht I will ... the fee for suggesting I'm being deceptive.   Put up, or shut up.  I'm sure we can find a mutual member to hold the funds.

I did not accuse you of anything, and am always interested in learning of anything new. Maybe, there was a pretence that you were applying for an extension that is taken under consideration with a decision 30 days later. Or, you were given a 30-day "medical" extension. Or it was during Covid when Immigration did have the discretion to hand out 30-day or 60-day extensions. I would just be interested in knowing how it was done. It would not have been a retirement extension which is always for one-year (or until the expiry date of your passport).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And yet I got one without even asking ... go figure.

One year they extended me 60 days instead of a year.  It was the first time doing an extension of my O-A and my Thai bank account was in both of our names.  So I had to open another account in my name only and they gave me time to season it. The next year I asked them if they could extend my wife 60 days to make our extensions match up again, which they did.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, rwill said:

One year they extended me 60 days instead of a year.  It was the first time doing an extension of my O-A and my Thai bank account was in both of our names.  So I had to open another account in my name only and they gave me time to season it. The next year I asked them if they could extend my wife 60 days to make our extensions match up again, which they did.

I don't find them to be the heartless, tea money seeking folks many portray them out to be on AN.  With 1 exception (not bad for 23 yrs), they've all been quite professional & helpful.  I've observed them a few times extending courtesies they really didn't have to.  Along with a few similar stories expressed at forum meet ups at Udon Thani, when the subject of Imm was discussed.

Pretty good considering some of the people I've seen them dealing with, that were total aholes, and definitely showed more patience than I would have.  And I was in customer service.  

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All far to complicated for me, I'm happy to just stay a tourist doing six months about. But of course I never burnt my bridges unlike a lot of people on here. Must admit I did consider it but thankfully didn't take the plunge that was many years ago when we were welcomed. Wow how things have changed