Government to promote production and use of EVs in Thailand

webfact

Just now, Eric Loh said:

PTT has an extensive network of 2,500 petrol stations in Thailand. I am sure there is one near you. In their plan, PTT target 7,000 EV charging stations by 2030. 
https://www.just-auto.com/news/ptt-targets-7000-ev-charging-stations-in-thailand/

The grid does not have the capacity to supply the required electricity

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Why don't you pop down to your local solar shop and ask for 10m2 of solar and see the reaction 🤣

You intentionally missed the part about the laws of physics, universal facts that EV and other green zealots ignore. So how far do your puny solar panels power your EV for then? They max ot at 2.5 kW in the midday sun.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Knows nothing about EVs and now demonstrates he knows nothing about Solar either. Explains why you have an electric bill and I don't

PEAOFF-Grid63-66.thumb.jpg.8a54e6cf04bd823556f748824177128d.jpg

1) PV is measured in kW (Watt is capitalised as it's a named after Scottish engineer, James Watt) not m2

2) 6km/kWh

3) It varies. The car has 650km range 

6 km per kWh is a small EV.  All that your house electric bill shows is that your house uses less from the grid than your solar panels produce. You could sit there with just a fan on, and probably do given that your solar panels max out at 2.5kW in the midday sun. 

How many kWh do your solar panels produce per day, on average? Subtract your domestic usage, then multiply what's left by the 6km per kWh that your EV uses, and you'll see the sense in buying a bicycle.... or queuing for those fast chargers, which of course you're doing if you drive your EV any distance (assuming you get over the range anxiety).

You could of course go out any buy a car with a proper engine, and statistically you probably will next time, but you obviously enjoy feeling all green and superior. 

And a huge yawn on the Scottish engineer remark.

• Like 1

You intentionally missed the part about the laws of physics, universal facts that EV and other green zealots ignore. So how far do your puny solar panels power your EV for then? They max ot at 2.5 kW in the midday sun.

You asked how many m2 of solar I had not understanding that panels have different Wattage.

I have 20kW of solar so can produce a maximum of 20kWh per hour. The max range per KWh is 8km - you work it out you need the practice 

“The Laws of Physics” 

“Universal Facts”

😂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I'm happy with my Toyota hybrid, thanks, especially in a country where scooters still fill up with gas sold in whisky bottles at the side of the road.

Want to reduce emissions? Improve public transport infrastructure rather than wait for the top 1% to spring for EV's.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

What is really being said here is buy CHINESE electric cars.

Chinese EV are dominating the market and technology so no surprise that most may end up with one. Meanwhile fossil fueled climate deniers are thwarting their EV domestic agenda. 

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

image.png.fea00dd4155798b299bf5088bd6ce8aa.png

"People don't buy new cars" ... and yet, I'm on my 5th in 21 yrs.  Many buy a new one every 2 or 3ish years.

Total car sales (2022) - 848k

new car sales (2022) - 348k

"If electric cars were truly a cost effective alternative there would be no need to actively promote them.  Consumers recognizing their benefits would buy them."

Our savings MG ZS EV vs ICEV

(IF not having solar)

image.png.965450286291525d4c57c5ba49256ef4.png

You are rich, most are not. Just because you can afford 5 new cars doesn't mean you are the norm.

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Chinese EV are dominating the market and technology so no surprise that most may end up with one. Meanwhile fossil fueled climate deniers are thwarting their EV domestic agenda. 

Combustion engines are pretty efficiant these days and dont have a battery (needing rare elements) that can go into thermal runaway. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

You asked how many m2 of solar I had not understanding that panels have different Wattage.

I have 20kW of solar so can produce a maximum of 20kWh per hour. The max range per KWh is 8km - you work it out you need the practice 

“The Laws of Physics” 

“Universal Facts”

😂

You skirted around answering my question, which was how many kWh do your solar panels produce per day, in the real rather than the theoretical world? 

Fundamental laws of physics and thermodynamics are routinely ignored by green zealots, so please be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Combustion engines are pretty efficiant these days and dont have a battery (needing rare elements) that can go into thermal runaway. 

I so appreciate my trusty internal combustion engine. It takes 5 minutes to refuel (including time to have a leak and buy some snacks). I'm good for another 700 km and never have this fretful look on my face that EV drivers do, when their batteries are going flat in the middle of nowhere, because the last charging station wasn't working or had hours long queues.

EVs are like 3D televisions: a once in a generation fad that doesn't work and is a pain in the backside to use.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are rich, most are not. Just because you can afford 5 new cars doesn't mean you are the norm.

Again, far from rich, even on a Thai standard.  You haven't been to the malls here in years, and plenty of luxury cars parked in the VIP sections, along SUVs, real ones, everywhere.

Family, Thai, all got new cars and or multiple cars, and not 3 generations living in same house.  Same applies everywhere, people make choice, apply themselves & succeed financially in life.

MSM doom & gloom isn't always the reality.  They're making them & people are buying them.  I don't see too many beaters on the highway, countrywide.

First 4 cars were inexpensive, as entry level, 'made in TH'.

3 being < 550k 

1 cost < 700k

Even the last one, EV, is priced same or less than some 'made in TH' ICEVs.

The Toyota Cross cost more than the MG ZS EV, and a bit more, since MGs price drop.  Held 3 for 6-7 yrs, so far from a new car every couple years.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

You skirted around answering my question, which was how many kWh do your solar panels produce per day, in the real rather than the theoretical world? 

every question you ask further demonstrates your ignorance of solar. Go back and look at the graph I posted previously and come back when you understand the meaning of the term curtailment.

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

Fundamental laws of physics and thermodynamics are routinely ignored by green zealots, so please be honest. 

You have demonstrated that you can’t manage simple arithmetic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

The grid does not have the capacity to supply the required electricity

Weird, EGAT, PEA and and MEA seem to disagree with you. Who do I trust on this? The guys running and managing the electricity production and grid or some online randos who spout some claims with no supporting facts or info? Hmmmmm.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cars need to be banned in certain downtown areas like in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or mainly Hua Hin where the pollution can get intense in the crop burning season north. But do not make the same mistake as many places in Europe. First make proper pubic transport that is fast, cheap and with easy and direct access as much as possible. Then create pedestrian only areas in popular towns.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

I'm pretty sure you could answer your own question. If you want a very rough assumption then take about 5h of peak output. He has a 20kWp installation so you could calculate with very rough 100kWh. His car goes 6km per kWh which btw doesn't mean it's very light. It's a very standard consumption. I opened the BMW website and picked a random electric sedan, the i4 with 400Nm torque and 286HP and it consumes just a little bit more than Bandersnatches car does. Back to the solar. At 100kWh production and 6km per kWh that gets you 600km on a day of solar. Maybe people in the australian outback commute 600km daily but normal people dont.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Cars need to be banned in certain downtown areas like in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or mainly Hua Hin where the pollution can get intense in the crop burning season north. But do not make the same mistake as many places in Europe. First make proper pubic transport that is fast, cheap and with easy and direct access as much as possible. Then create pedestrian only areas in popular towns.

How does banning cars in downtown areas help with pollution from crop burning? These two issues are totally disconnected. And instead of banning cars they will eventually ban diesels and later any fossil fuel combustion vehicles like already happened in some places.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

PTT has an extensive network of 2,500 petrol stations in Thailand. I am sure there is one near you. In their plan, PTT target 7,000 EV charging stations by 2030. 
https://www.just-auto.com/news/ptt-targets-7000-ev-charging-stations-in-thailand/

The nearest one to me is about 17 km away and the next nearest is on the main highway route 1/2 in Kamphaeng Phet 60km away.

PTT has a great collection of petrol stations IF you live in a city or on a highway but not in rural Thailand yet.

Before the government pushes RVs they need to quickly upgrade the PEA network, then install as many charging points as they can and only then push EV vehicles.

They also need to develop along with vehicle manufacturers a range of transport trucks and agricultural vehicles, with special attention to farming equipment and make 100% sure that the batteries are completely watertight for the rice paddies.

Whichever country wins that race will make large sums of money.

It may be a good idea to set up training courses to teach EV servicing and repairs asap.

• Thanks 1