Not Liking Thai People

JimTripper

8 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

The majority of Thai people are about the most pleasant and honest people you will meet, but when they mount a motorbike or jump into a car that all changes drastically. The dreadful road statistics back this up.

Such a fascinating phenomenon. 

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

So why are you here, everything you needed was in your head back in your native country 🤣.

Huh?  Seems you completely missed the point, and ended up concluding the exact opposite of the intention regarding the old woman's story and her take on how she has tried to live her life, her take on how to face adversity and aging, her take on choosing to be positive, even before the get-go, rather than negative, when life throws you a bad curve ball.  All of which first starts in your head, with your outlook, before anything else.  You did get that one thing right--it does involve your head.

For the record, I am here because my spouse is Thai.  I am American.  We have also lived for a number of years in the USA.  We are now living here, which we prefer for a variety of reasons, one being his career;  I am retired.  Had my spouse been Spanish, we might be living in Spain.  Vietnamese, perhaps Vietnam, or maybe the US.  We have been here since 2010 and are still loving it.  We have been making some wonderful memories here, I know I have, for our 'memory banks'.   The point, though, at least for me, is not where you are living your life, it's how you are living your life, what you are making of it, where you are.   

19 minutes ago, newnative said:

Huh?  Seems you completely missed the point, and ended up concluding the exact opposite of the intention regarding the old woman's story and her take on how she has tried to live her life, her take on how to face adversity and aging, her take on choosing to be positive, even before the get-go, rather than negative, when life throws you a bad curve ball.  All of which first starts in your head, with your outlook, before anything else.  You did get that one thing right--it does involve your head.

For the record, I am here because my spouse is Thai.  I am American.  We have also lived for a number of years in the USA.  We are now living here, which we prefer for a variety of reasons, one being his career;  I am retired.  Had my spouse been Spanish, we might be living in Spain.  Vietnamese, perhaps Vietnam, or maybe the US.  We have been here since 2010 and are still loving it.  We have been making some wonderful memories here, I know I have, for our 'memory banks'.   The point, though, at least for me, is not where you are living your life, it's how you are living your life, what you are making of it, where you are.   

so you moved somewhere you prefer. that's the same thing i'm looking to do. what's the difference?

obviously there were some negatives at your old place and it was not all hunky dory or you would not have moved. you focused on the negatives at some point, admit it.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

so you moved somewhere you prefer. that's the same thing i'm looking to do. what's the difference?

obviously there were some negatives at your old place and it was not all hunky dory or you would not have moved. you focused on the negatives at some point, admit it.

Sad..but perhaps the way it’s meant to be. 
The irony of your post with regard to the ‘locals’ appearing/pretending to not understand you and to you appearing passive/aggressive, is not lost on us. In this thread, that is you
We perhaps just have to shake our heads and walk away. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Re-read my first post and you will see 'what's the difference'.  Or, more likely, not see.  Of course, no place is perfect, every place has both positives and negatives.  Of course, one weighs positives and negatives --on many, many things.   Duh.  No need to 'admit' something so absurdly obvious. 

Take another gander at the last sentence of my previous post; that's where I am at, with my thinking, with the way I am trying to live my life.  It's fine you're looking to move.  Just don't expect a change of scenery to change you.  You need to do that work yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, newnative said:

Re-read my first post and you will see 'what's the difference'.  Or, more likely, not see.  Of course, no place is perfect, every place has both positives and negatives.  Of course, one weighs positives and negatives --on many, many things.   Duh.  No need to 'admit' something so absurdly obvious. 

Take another gander at the last sentence of my previous post; that's where I am at, with my thinking, with the way I am trying to live my life.  It's fine you're looking to move.  Just don't expect a change of scenery to change you.  You need to do that work yourself.

where i live does change me. if it's a pleasant place, i'm happier. if it's a dump, i'm grumpy.

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

where i live does change me. if it's a pleasant place, i'm happier. if it's a dump, i'm grumpy.

Adapt… or die. 
Think about it. Imagine you had a girlfriend who was only nice to you when you gave her everything that she wanted. Other than that, she didn’t care about you at all?

What are you giving? 
You sound like a horror and a crashing bore. 
Do you imagine that you are somehow different from how you come over here?

Apologies if communicated a bit too straightforwardly. 
You are like one of those women who need a shopping fix; a short term ‘solution’ which needs to be regularly repeated, otherwise she falls into reality…. I mean a depression. 

In other words, you are being faced with yourself…and you don’t at all like what you see. Neither do we. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, BusyB said:

AKA the world is your mirror - what do you see in it?

Older people are perceived as cynics and misanthropes. But, they are simply people who have at last heard the still, sad music of humanity, played by a mediocre rock band howling for fame. 

Just kidding. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Those are just mood changes--happy, grumpy.  Neither addresses what you are doing with your life and how you are spending the time you are given each day--or what you are putting in your 'memory bank'.  But, anyway, off you go and good luck wherever you end up.

20 minutes ago, newnative said:

Those are just mood changes--happy, grumpy.  Neither addresses what you are doing with your life and how you are spending the time you are given each day--or what you are putting in your 'memory bank'.  But, anyway, off you go and good luck wherever you end up.

if i'm happier i have happy memories and do enjoyable things. if i'm grumpy i stay in the house and don't create happy memories, just grumpy memories.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

if i'm happier i have happy memories and do enjoyable things. if i'm grumpy i stay in the house and don't create happy memories, just grumpy memories.

Why would you be ‘grumpy’? Are you a woman? Are you suffering from a debilitating illness?

The world is your oyster, yet most of your posts here are unpleasantly negative, which of course reflects your personality. 
Who would want to have you around? You need to fix that, seriously. Otherwise you’ll be paying for your company for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 8:50 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Ah, when did I ever say "I felt superior to anyone"?

No one here ever admits to feeling superior while being superior. True, in many cases it's so ingrained and natural as to be subconscious. Some bigots here even have Thai wives they profess to love. One of the biggest, now gone, waited for his wife to leave for work so's he could enjoy his daily Thai bashing.

On 10/26/2023 at 8:50 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I speak almost fluent Korean and never felt like this in Incheon, Seoul, Songdo, Suwon or Busan.

🤣 S. Korea's a First World developed country with a Western mentality and a critical long-standing relationship with the USA. Do you speak almost fluent Thai? You have humanity in common with Thais. If you patiently spent time trying to know them and empathized with their often mundane concerns (just as farangs have, but theirs (cough) is yours as well), appreciated their character and mannerisms for what they are, learned to joke around with them, stop being so serious, then you'd learn to have more in common. But you'd have to want to do that, you see. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am simply not compatible with many. 

True. And so you don't speak Thai. My informed advice as to how you--and by extension the perpetually unhappy OP--may become more compatible, if you wished, is based on my own success with Thais. If you want to explain the relevance of your experience in Korea, a modern, developed, Westernized country with a long-standing critical relationship with the USA, you may feel free to do so.🙂 Otherwise my judgment stands.

54 minutes ago, BigStar said:

True. And so you don't speak Thai. My informed advice as to how you--and by extension the perpetually unhappy OP--may become more compatible, if you wished, is based on my own success with Thais. If you want to explain the relevance of your experience in Korea, a modern, developed, Westernized country with a long-standing critical relationship with the USA, you may feel free to do so.🙂 Otherwise my judgment stands.

So you think I am "unhappy"?  What I should have said was " I am not compatible with many Thai people".  This was my error.  I get along with people from all parts of the world but Thai people, not so much.  Also, I do not recall asking for your advice and why would I want to explain anything to you? 

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

So you think I am "unhappy"? 

Learn to read carefully and critically. Ask yourself: am I the OP referred to?

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Also, I have no need to explain anything to you because it sounds like you think you know just about everything. 

Not that I asked, you see. Love it. On the specific point about your achieving greater compatibility with Thais, IF you wished to, I have reason to think I probably know more than you, as I've given specific methods while you've given none. Besides, you implied puzzlement, or at least inconsistency, with your compatibility with other cultures but not Thai.

But then the rest was self-satisfaction. You yet may recommend some of your own methods for the OP, yourself, and others, if in fact you do possess hitherto unapplied expertise. I'm always open to improvement. 🙂 

25 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:
On 10/25/2023 at 2:26 PM, Goat said:

How do you know that?

Have you got a link or some stats?

You're new here, aren't you

The Goat new 🤔

He's Dan, the MD 👍

Its proven 😎

Could contain:

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Learn to read carefully and critically. Ask yourself: am I the OP referred to?

Not that I asked, you see. Love it. On the specific point about your achieving greater compatibility with Thais, IF you wished to, I have reason to think I probably know more than you, as I've given specific methods while you've given none. Besides, you implied puzzlement, or at least inconsistency, with your compatibility with other cultures but not Thai.

But then the rest was self-satisfaction. You yet may recommend some of your own methods for the OP, yourself, and others, if in fact you do possess hitherto unapplied expertise. I'm always open to improvement. 🙂 

Again did I ask for your "Sefl Help Guru" assistance in achieving compatibility with Thai people?  The answer would be no.  You know more than me?  If you say so.  But I do know this:  Each culture is different.  Asia is a big place with many different cultures.  I am not compatible with Thai culture.  Is this puzzling to you?  Also, this is the first time I have seen the words "implied puzzlement" used together.  In that aspect you have taught me something. 

Edited by sqwakvfr