Where's home ?

KhunLA

27 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I figured I did have a choice. A rusting trailer in Arizona or Florida or moving. Happy with my decision … but the cost is only long distance contact with remaining family.

A plus for me sort of, as only have 3 brothers still there, that I really didn't see much, when I did live there.  Occasional holiday dinners, and can't even say on a yearly basis, and that's about it.  Really led separate lives in different circles, when I was in the same area.  They actually get together a lot now, monthly dinner or outings, since now in their 60s & 70s, something they never did before.

Haven't seen any family (brothers) in over 20 yrs, except on FB.  One is coming over next year, part of a SEA holiday, and probably last time I will see any of them again in person.  On a tour, so I'll only even see him & wife, for 1 day, just hang out poolside, dinner & brekkie just before they fly back 🤣  Suck a close family 😂

Would imagine family keeps a lot of people in their birth country.  Never had kids, until here, (1 adopted) and couldn't see leaving her to move out of country.   Even though I only see her 10 ish times a year.  She's only <4 hrs away, so a major plus.  I've actually popped up to Krung Thep just to have dinner with her 😎

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

I lived in California most of my life but if I did move back to the US it would not be in California.  I have no urge to move back to the US anyway.  I think my wife would like to move back more than I would.

Same here I consider Bangkok my home, left my (previous) home country on last year of college, never worked there, only in Thailand.

Live and worked here for the last 12 years and will get permanent resident in a few month.

• Love It 1

From the late, great US of A. Have considered Thailand my "home" for a quarter century. Mostly BKK, tho now happily residing in Jomtien Beach. Occasional multi-day visits to BKK nowadays is plenty. Haven't been outside of Thailand in nearly 3 years and no plans on that changing anytime soon. Still traveling extensively intra-Thailand and many more spots...National Parks, Wildlife Refuges, mountains, beaches, etc on my hit list. Some will definitely be repeats. 

Strange thinking about in hindsight.  As I equate living in USA, as one might associate with living and working overseas.  As I moved around a bit, for work, never really thinking about living in any place long term that I lived.

Only long term, more than 3 yrs, was hometown suburb of Philadelphia, PA, which I enjoyed, but would never think of returning to live now.  I wouldn't return to any place I lived at in the USA, IF I ever returned, so nothing their seems like home.

Houses here/TH, were custom built for me, in USA, simply what was available at good price, and all 3, were bought for investment, never life long living.  Locations here, chosen from the heart, ex-wife's village, first one, than by choice, 2nd & 3rd, as where I actually want to spend my last days, present house anyway, so this is HOME.

Can't think of anyplace else I'd rather be, unless I hit that POWERBALL.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:49 PM, fredwiggy said:

Texas is home to me. New Jersey was home before that. This is home now, but has never felt like home. That's why I'll be moving asap.

NJ to TX is that what they call; 'going from the sublime to the ridiculous'? lol 🤣

Australia's east coast beach suburb is my place of birth.

Live in a bunch of countries each year, Australia included. Sometimes a year passes without a visit back to 'the land downunder'. I/we now live in a way that sees us being more 'citizens of the world'.

Although I can tell you, paddling out very early morning in one of Australia's glorious, Pacific blue, crystal clear water, surfbreaks is hard to beat, and rises in me a love of country and gratitude.

I love a lot about Australia, it is dear to my heart in many ways but I have no desire to live there as my 'base' home ... We have a home there and enjoy it very much, but I enjoy leaving just as much as returning.

To answer whether Oz is my 'home' ... I'm somewhat ambivalent about a question of 'homeland'. I look for terms of reference, imperatives that would motivate me to go back there ... If I got deathly ill or something? I doubt it. 

Like others have posted I visit and feel 'apart-from' the land of my birth, well sometimes I do.

I would not return to Oz for family as I have none of appreciable closeness left. Anyway, I can 'help' them if need be from wherever I am.

For my close friends, yes, I would return specifically to see what was causing them difficulties and help as I am able to then return to our seasonal movement as we love to do.

I have no idea if this addresses your question lol🤣 but it was good to reflect upon and wax lyrical about "a land of sunburnt plains."

I left my native homeland 40 years ago but never really arrived in Thailand. I have family with kids and grandkids here - all good, all fine and no desire to move anywhere else but Thailand just made sure that I would never really fully arrive "home"! 

On 10/27/2023 at 7:36 AM, Tropposurfer said:

NJ to TX is that what they call; 'going from the sublime to the ridiculous'? lol 🤣

Texas was my last home, for 32 years, New Jersey for 30 before that. I miss both, but more Texas because I have 3 of my children and grandkids there, it's better hunting and fishing for me. New Jersey I also miss, for those same reasons, but I hated the cold. When I move back to Texas, I can always visit NJ in a couple of hours by air. Both states have anything anyone needs, but Texas is more wide open country, and that's what I prefer.