Cool season in Thailand delayed due to El Niño phenomenon

webfact

image.jpeg

The Meteorological Department of Thailand (TMD) announced that the onset of this year’s cool season is likely to be delayed by approximately two weeks, and will be warmer than usual. The shift has been attributed to unpredictable weather patterns and the influence of the El Niño phenomenon.

Typically, Thailand’s cool season commences around mid-October. However, this year the initial moderate cool spell is slated to hit the northern regions of Thailand tomorrow, marking the start of the climate shift. The spell is expected to persist until the following Monday, the TMD reported.

Residents of the northeast region are set to experience a notable decrease in temperature, though they will have to endure sporadic rain and thunderstorms for a while longer. Despite this, the frequency of precipitation is expected to drop significantly.

The coldest period across Thailand is predicted to start at the beginning of next month, lasting until the end of January. The average temperature in the northern part of the country is forecasted to hover between 21 and 22 degrees Celsius, around 1.5C higher than last year’s cool season average temperature.

by Mitch Connor

Top Photo: The Nation Thailand.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Early in the year they said the wet season would be drier than usual, for the same reason. Instead, where I am it was the wettest in the 10 years I've been here. So I'm looking forward to a deep freeze and no need for aircon or even a fan until around next March.

Where are you?I found it a very dry monsoon season this year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Meteorological Department of Thailand (TMD) announced that the onset of this year’s cool season is likely to be delayed by approximately two weeks, and will be warmer than usual

As an atheist I often think , " what if I am wrong" and god is screwing with me? 

I was sooo looking forward to the cooler season. 😥

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Many Thai's do I know but they are used to it being 25C+ so it is only to be expected.

By 25+ you mean night temperatures surely. Cool/cold season quite different. Night temps <10 C in some regions. Love it. Coffee and cig when I wake up and it's under 20 or even under 10 degrees C. Lovely.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I am not sure about many things, but one thing I am sure of, is that i would never complain that it is too cool in Thailand. :smile:

That's because you're a newbie. 

More than likely always will be.

• Haha 1

Cool or not cool is one thing. But the rain, storms and stagnant pollution all over Bangkok down to the south, car deter in various domains.

Not to forget the mosquitos who seem to be having field days in this period with all the hazards that go with it.

Of course, no problem for the "never-happens-to-me" club. But it is a matter of concern to others, regarding the Dengue spread for instance.

Looks like mosquito repellant spray will boost their sales this year.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Early in the year they said the wet season would be drier than usual, for the same reason. Instead, where I am it was the wettest in the 10 years I've been here. So I'm looking forward to a deep freeze and no need for aircon or even a fan until around next March.

Thailand at large, it has been drier. 

On 10/30/2023 at 9:43 AM, webfact said:

Typically, Thailand’s cool season commences around mid-October. However, this year the initial moderate cool spell is slated to hit the northern regions of Thailand tomorrow, marking the start of the climate shift. The spell is expected to persist until the following Monday, the TMD reported.

My house in suburban Bangkok has been "cool" since late September. Haven't even been running the aircon at all. Seems fine to me. Hope it stays this way for the five months.

• Thumbs Up 1