About coffee in Thailand

gejohesch

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I buy my coffee beans direct fro this company in the north of Thailand...

you can contact directly or buy through Lazada and delivered to your door.

They grow, harvest, process and roast all on site, so you buy fresh [unlike from supermarkets]

Start with this link. https://doichaangcoffee.co.th/

Doi Chang is good coffee. I buy my beans ( Arabica medium, Arabica Dark & Robusta dark) from my favourite local coffee shop and do my own blend. 150 baht per 250 gram packet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2baht said:

Try some Vietnamese coffee, you won't be disappointed! Beans or ground! :thumbsup:

I am currently in Da Nang, the coffee served at breakfast is undrinkable.  The coffee shops serve decent coffee though.

In Chiang Rai I buy from The Roast & Roastery, 2 shops owned by a chap called Roj who grows, roasts and sells his own coffee in his shops.

His beans aren’t too dark and dry looking rather than oily.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I go all the time to a great little coffee shop in Sukhumvit and I drink my espresso there. They also sell the beans which they use.

A friend buys from Starbucks.

Pick what you like.

that's one place at least. never really like ordering coffee online though. i need to see and feel the bag.

there is a selection at foodland and big c, but not real exciting.

buying from starbucks or a cafe seems a little pricey.

* what i need is like a costco in the usa that has a premium selection of 2 pound bags at a good price, not a novelty bag of beans from a cafe that's way overpriced for someone that drinks coffee all day. yep, 2 pounds, not a small 250 g bag to make tiny cups and skimp on the coffee. i also don't re-use the grounds a second time if your asking 🤔.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, dhupverg said:

I agree about the Laos Bolaven Plateau coffee.  I have been ordering coffee from that region for a number of years.  I order 4 kg's at a time and the cost comes to 2K baht.  Freshly roasted, so sometimes I have to wait a week or two before the order gets sent.  I switched to these guys about a year ago.   https://shopee.co.th/ryncoffee?entryPoint=OrderDetail

Just ordered some of this as we are running a bit low, will give it a try.  I've tried numerous brands but for the last several years I've stuck with Hillkoff Arabica Italian roast, may well end up going back to it but feel like we need a slight change in taste.  Doi Chang doesn't really do it for me at all. Tried the Makro Segafredo (I think, black and red bags) too but wasn't that impressed, and none of the Bon Cafe roasts have ever been a success either.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

that's one place at least. never really like ordering coffee online though. i need to see and feel the bag.

* what i need is like a costco in the usa that has a premium selection of 2 pound bags at a good price, not a novelty bag of beans from a cafe that's way overpriced for someone that drinks coffee all day. yep, 2 pounds, not a small 250 g bag to make tiny cups and skimp on the coffee. i also don't re-use the grounds a second time if your asking 🤔.

Really haven't noticed beans sold in anything larger than 500gr bag, which we get delivered @205 per or 410 a kg, and order 3 kgs at at a time.  100% Arabica (espresso) beans  As good as any others we've sampled and the least expensive  I think we're done experimenting, as been a few years and still haven't found anything better.

For others, that don't need to fondle their beans before buying:

Cafe Roma

using the French press of late:

Edited by KhunLA

I buy from them 1kg bags... very affordable, you choose your roast level.
Roasted and packaged the same day after cooling.

Doesn't get any fresher than that.. super markets coffee is already days if not weeks old.
Doi Chang do the whole process from picking to roasting.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Doi Chang is good coffee. I buy my beans ( Arabica medium, Arabica Dark & Robusta dark) from my favourite local coffee shop and do my own blend. 150 baht per 250 gram packet. 

I buy direct the 1kg bags.. very happy with the results

medium/light roast.

The coffee used in Thailand is for the iced and coffee shakes. Tons of sugar, ice and sweet milk added will take the sharp taste of the dark roasted (sometimes almost burned) beans. Not at all suitable for a nice hot espresso.

In the north of Thailand there are many coffee roasters who have light, medium and bold roasted beans. You can ask for all these different roasts. A good coffee roaster is Aka Ama calls the roastings like; city, Italian and dark roast. They grow and roast their own beans. Another one is Phupanna in Doi Saket.

Always check if you get Arabica and not a mix with Robusta beans.

From Phupanna I buy dark and bold roasted beans and mix them to find my taste of coffee.

• Like 1

I buy from them 1kg bags... very affordable, you choose your roast level.

Doesn't get any fresher than that.. super markets coffee is already days if not weeks old.
Doi Chang do the whole process from picking to roasting.

all i see there is tiny bags as usual and no way to select roast.

do you have a link?

https://doichaangcoffee.co.th/products/coffee-bean/

Edited by JimTripper

Actually, the consensus is that  beans should be aged 2-14 days prior to grinding, depending on what type of roast and filter or expresso.  See the James Hoffman video on YouTube.  Of course, this is all dependent on individual taste

Edited by Fortunateson

59 minutes ago, Dljohnt said:

The coffee used in Thailand is for the iced and coffee shakes. Tons of sugar, ice and sweet milk added will take the sharp taste of the dark roasted (sometimes almost burned) beans. Not at all suitable for a nice hot espresso.

In the north of Thailand there are many coffee roasters who have light, medium and bold roasted beans. You can ask for all these different roasts. A good coffee roaster is Aka Ama calls the roastings like; city, Italian and dark roast. They grow and roast their own beans. Another one is Phupanna in Doi Saket.

Always check if you get Arabica and not a mix with Robusta beans.

From Phupanna I buy dark and bold roasted beans and mix them to find my taste of coffee.

I really like the Akha Ama City blend for expresso.  The founder of Akha Ama received a lot of training from Stumptown Coffee, a Portland, Oregon coffee shop

i will have to try Phupanna

4 hours ago, RayOday said:

Another which I order from monthly roasts beans from Brazil (Brazil Santos, Columbia, Kenya, Myanmar, Thailand, Africa) is Magic Roaster is located in Pranburi, Prachuap. I order through their Line official account. Here is their Facebook link

https://m.facebook.com/magicroaster

I'll vouch for this one ...   I live close by and  I buy 2 bags of Brazil Santos every week .   Brews well as an Espresso , Cappuccino or an Americano

and I use full fat heavy whipping cream to steam my foam

all i see there is tiny bags as usual and no way to select roast.

do you have a link?

https://doichaangcoffee.co.th/products/coffee-bean/

Link to Lazada,

select the Doi Chang that suits you, blend, roast, kg? ect ect
I go for the Arabica Mountain Coffee, medium roast 1kg bag.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/doi-chang-coffee-beans/?q=doi+chang+coffee+beans&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home-th.search.go.11257f6d8tN9i5&catalog_redirect_tag=true

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

Instant ordered, I'll let you know the results...

But I use it in a espresso machine, and it is not possible to order beans.

Including sending 272 thb.

Strange why no beans, wonder why? With shopee it's mission impossible to avoid delivery fees, Lazada much easier

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well horses for courses, I really like and enjoy these beans / roasts.

Agreed. I get the 120฿ Boncafe Morning roast. It's very dark. Probably my palate after drinking burnt Starbucks all those years. 

10 hours ago, RayOday said:

I have travelled extensively through Arabica country in the North and find there are many roasters who offer a milder lighter roast. I prefer the stronger roasts yet try as many as possible. A fraction make it to the big retail sales channels yet will promptly and reliably ship to you. One that is milder is Pala Coffee which is roasted by hand by Uncle Pala.

https://www.palacoffeehouse.com/

Another which I order from monthly roasts beans from Brazil (Brazil Santos, Columbia, Kenya, Myanmar, Thailand, Africa) is Magic Roaster is located in Pranburi, Prachuap. I order through their Line official account. Here is their Facebook link

https://m.facebook.com/magicroaster

On the move expensive end, if you are in Bangkok, is Artis roasters. They will ship via Lineman. The beans are from Thailand, the roasting follows the process of their main shop in Berkeley, California. Be sure to request a light roast. 

There are so many options in Thailand that some exploration and research will surely yield a bean and roast that you will enjoy. I have  yet to find the need to bring coffee to Thailand.

I even find expert roasts in Surin at "Coffee at Home" and Craft, who offer Brazilian beans as well. I don't always finds what I like but more often I find very good roasts. The exploration is fun. 

Best of luck

Thanks, that's useful

6 hours ago, Dljohnt said:

That's another issue indeed! I've been going regularly to the OTOP shop in town, while my wife does the market for fresh food. Always specified "not much sugar", in Thai (I speak it quite OK). The woman there always gave me one of those sweet iced coffees which I can hardly swallow down 😖. I think the woman must be a bit dumb....

35 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

That's another issue indeed! I've been going regularly to the OTOP shop in town, while my wife does the market for fresh food. Always specified "not much sugar", in Thai (I speak it quite OK). The woman there always gave me one of those sweet iced coffees which I can hardly swallow down 😖. I think the woman must be a bit dumb....

Try no sugar and add your own