Time running out for GOP’s Trump alternatives

Social Media

11 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I agree. Polls are unreliable one year out from the general election especially when they don't say what you'd like them to say.

My favorite unreliable polls were those that preceded the 2016 general election when the discussion was whether Hillary Clinton should be addressed as  Madame President or not. I was caught flat-footed on that under-estimation of DJ Trump and I am not going let it happen again.

Your concern is touching. Not so touching is your exaggeration of what the polls said. Fivethirtyeight.com, the best poll aggregator, gave Trump a 27% chance of winning.

7 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I agree. Polls are unreliable one year out from the general election especially when they don't say what you'd like them to say.

My favorite unreliable polls were those that preceded the 2016 general election when the discussion was whether Hillary Clinton should be addressed as  Madame President or not. I was caught flat-footed on that under-estimation of DJ Trump and I am not going let it happen again.

When pussygate happened I really thought Trump was toast, but I underestimated Americans dislike of the Washington establishment as personified by Clinton, so while I didn't expect Trump to win, it was great to see Clinton defeated.

6 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/  OCT31 2023

I don't care what you consider to be touching. As far as I am concerned, Jack Smith and Fani Willis et al are just a side-show compared to the unfathomable prospect of Trump again in the White House January 2025.

I'm chuckling at the mere possibility of the Donald returning to the big chair. I might even get to hear the screams all the way over here.

I'd love to be in the Dem's HQ as they wonder why it's all gone so wrong.

IMO the back room boys will be frantically looking for a viable candidate to replace Biden. So long Joe, time for a nice cuppa and a long lie down.

• Haha 2

With one year to-the-day (EST 5 NOV) for the US Presidential election:

Trump Leads in 5 Critical States as Voters Blast Biden, Times/Siena Poll Finds

Voters in battleground states said they trusted Donald J. Trump over President Biden on the economy, foreign policy and immigration, as Mr. Biden’s multiracial base shows signs of fraying.

Nov. 5, 2023, 5:01 a.m. ET

President Biden is trailing Donald J. Trump in five of the six most important battleground states one year before the 2024 election, suffering from enormous doubts about his age and deep dissatisfaction over his handling of the economy and a host of other issues, new polls by The New York Times and Siena College have found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/us/politics/biden-trump-2024-poll.html

https://archive.ph/D9Rgm

image.jpeg.583e9c403a2b7e3b7b29e7c835782700.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

With one year to-the-day (EST 5 NOV) for the US Presidential election:

Trump Leads in 5 Critical States as Voters Blast Biden, Times/Siena Poll Finds

Voters in battleground states said they trusted Donald J. Trump over President Biden on the economy, foreign policy and immigration, as Mr. Biden’s multiracial base shows signs of fraying.

Nov. 5, 2023, 5:01 a.m. ET

President Biden is trailing Donald J. Trump in five of the six most important battleground states one year before the 2024 election, suffering from enormous doubts about his age and deep dissatisfaction over his handling of the economy and a host of other issues, new polls by The New York Times and Siena College have found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/us/politics/biden-trump-2024-poll.html

https://archive.ph/D9Rgm

image.jpeg.583e9c403a2b7e3b7b29e7c835782700.jpeg

Biden just lost almost all Arab ethnicity Americans over his pro israel policy in Gaza. Last I saw it was down to 7% or something.

Not that it's likely to lead to a Trump win given he's as much in bed with the israelis as Biden is. I guess they'll just not vote at all.

• Haha 1

From an Opinion survey of NY Times columnists from June 12, 2023 to the question: 

How seriously should we take Donald Trump’s candidacy?

From the extremely liberal Frank Bruni: We should take it with maximal, bone-chilling, psyche-ravaging, hope-slaying seriousness. Even under federal indictment, he’s the likeliest Republican nominee. And the Republican nominee ipso facto has a decent shot at the presidency. Which means a second term of Trump, heaven help us, is entirely possible.

From the Conservative David French: Any person who argues that Democrats should want to face him in the general election should be hauled before a pundit tribunal and duly punished. There is no such thing as a safe race against Donald Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/12/opinion/donald-trump-2024.html

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

From an Opinion survey of NY Times columnists from June 12, 2023 to the question: 

From the extremely liberal Frank Bruni: We should take it with maximal, bone-chilling, psyche-ravaging, hope-slaying seriousness. Even under federal indictment, he’s the likeliest Republican nominee. And the Republican nominee ipso facto has a decent shot at the presidency. Which means a second term of Trump, heaven help us, is entirely possible.

From the Conservative David French: Any person who argues that Democrats should want to face him in the general election should be hauled before a pundit tribunal and duly punished. There is no such thing as a safe race against Donald Trump.

My opinion is "bring it on".

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Meanwhile Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds has just endorsed DeSantis.

She perhaps isn’t paying attention to media pundits desperately trying to drive traffic with scare mongering and doom and dismay opinion lines.

14 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

and that says it all about the current state of US politics, which is a mess by any standard.

If anyone in US politics doesn't understand that Trump was a reaction to the corruption in Washington, they shouldn't be in politics.

What is alarming is that they have done exactly zero about addressing the public's rejection of Washington as it is.

Short of Jack Kennedy rising from the grave to stand again, I fear that we will have another 4 years of Trump with the attendant Democrat obsession to get rid of him by any means possible, even if it means paying for a fake dossier and weaponising the FBI and DOJ against him.

While I enjoy a clown show as much as any, unfortunately we need a functioning US congress to deal with the perils about to assail us.

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and that says it all about the current state of US politics, which is a mess by any standard.

If anyone in US politics doesn't understand that Trump was a reaction to the corruption in Washington, they shouldn't be in politics.

What is alarming is that they have done exactly zero about addressing the public's rejection of Washington as it is.

Short of Jack Kennedy rising from the grave to stand again, I fear that we will have another 4 years of Trump with the attendant Democrat obsession to get rid of him by any means possible, even if it means paying for a fake dossier and weaponising the FBI and DOJ against him.

While I enjoy a clown show as much as any, unfortunately we need a functioning US congress to deal with the perils about to assail us.

I see you still believe the fairy tail that Trump is a corruption fighter.  Sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Meanwhile Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds has just endorsed DeSantis.

She perhaps isn’t paying attention to media pundits desperately trying to drive traffic with scare mongering and doom and dismay opinion lines.

Distancing herself from the MAGA/stolen election wing of the party.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bendejo said:

Distancing herself from the MAGA/stolen election wing of the party.

I don't know if DeSantis is an improvement.  He's using Florida taxpayer money to pay for stunts (immigrant planes, flights from Israel) to further his Presidential campaign, fighting transparency laws regarding paying for these stunts and Covid deaths, appointed an unqualified crony to New college and gave him a ridiculous salary as part of his ridiculous war on woke...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

I don't know if DeSantis is an improvement.  He's using Florida taxpayer money to pay for stunts (immigrant planes, flights from Israel) to further his Presidential campaign, fighting transparency laws regarding paying for these stunts and Covid deaths, appointed an unqualified crony to New college and gave him a ridiculous salary as part of his ridiculous war on woke...

The scuttlebutt in the pundit-sphere is that Ron has ZERO people skills, and that the more people get to know him the less they like him.  Among his other notorious distinctions is that he is the grinch that may be closing Disneyworld.  (Nearly) Everyone loves Disneyworld, a very popular tourist destination in that part of the US.  And a big $$$ maker in his state.  What I would like to see is Disney shutting the park down for a few years until he's history.

Personally, I'm not paying attention to the GOP primaries because they are and will continue to be a mess, and I don't see anything resolved before the national convention.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1