BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Is the 8 year warranty on parts and labour transferable to a second-hand buyer when I sell the vehicle?

Good question!

A search revealed nothing for Thailand but I found that it's transferable in at least one other country.

I realise that doesn't answer your question.

57 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Good question!

A search revealed nothing for Thailand but I found that it's transferable in at least one other country.

I realise that doesn't answer your question.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I would assume that it is, it was when i sold my Haval, I guess the showroom would be able to answer that question .

Thanks I will ask my salesman.

31 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I guess with all the showrooms popping up left right and centre there is a few salespeople out there who are still pretty green and it’s luck of the draw whether you get a clued up individual or someone who is suited to making up the numbers at HomePro  !

My sales guy at BYD has a Masters degree in business. My sales girl at MG has a pea for a brain, apologies to all peas out there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I guess with all the showrooms popping up left right and centre there is a few salespeople out there who are still pretty green and it’s luck of the draw whether you get a clued up individual or someone who is suited to making up the numbers at HomePro  !

I have bought very few cars for which the salesperson knew more about the car than I did........ probably have to blame myself for that  :crazy:

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

So, the wall charger guy just called to make the booking on 29th December, with a visit a few days before to get the details.

They inquired whether it would be the house meter or a 2nd circuit ( TOU ) upon hearing it will be a TOU they said it will be 9,000 baht , more if further than 15m from the pole or any additional add ons .

I read that the cable for a TOU is thicker ( ? ) 16 mm and a ground rod is also required, sounds like not much for my 9k ?

Plus i will want a double socket which i assume is extra.

The TOU meter is around 4,300 baht so it is going to take a while before i am feeling the benefits of going TOU !

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, the wall charger guy just called to make the booking on 29th December, with a visit a few days before to get the details.

They inquired whether it would be the house meter or a 2nd circuit ( TOU ) upon hearing it will be a TOU they said it will be 9,000 baht , more if further than 15m from the pole or any additional add ons .

I read that the cable for a TOU is thicker ( ? ) 16 mm and a ground rod is also required, sounds like not much for my 9k ?

The TOU meter is around 4,300 baht so it is going to take a while before i am feeling the benefits of going TOU !

Hi! What’s the reason or benefit to have TOU? I received this information sheet from the sales person before getting my car.

I live in a condo and had to pull 16mm cables from 14fl (my unit meter) down to the 5th floor where my parking spot is. I’m connecting directly to an empty 45A meter.

i could have connected to the building’s power but they would have charged THB 7 per kWh. Would have been less cable required but the long term costs would have added up.

The charger people wanted around THB 100k for the full job. Needless to say I felt that was ridiculous. I decided to do it ‘myself’. Material cost was around THB 25k and labor (a random group of electricians) was around 18k for 3 guys for 3 days of work. So I saved over half to do that portion.

I have it set up like in the picture at the moment, ready for the wall charger to be installed (I think - who knows what other issues they may highlight when they install).

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_3110.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pib said:

What makes you say TOU meters are not available with MEA?   MEA should advertises TOU, has TOU tariffs, etc.

https://www.mea.or.th/en/our-services/mea-service/e-service/electric-monthly-calculate

image.png.d1e0baf2bf48b0d26733e256cc8ac45c.png

You are correct, what I should have said is MEA allows TOU as a primary meter but doesn’t allow a 2nd circuit. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You are correct, what I should have said is MEA allows TOU as a primary meter but doesn’t allow a 2nd circuit. 

Exactly what do you mean by two separate TOU circuits are not allowed? 

Do you mean a person can't have two TOU meters for his residence...that is one meter feeding his residence (everything but his EV charger) and another on a separate circuit only feeding his EV charger?  If so that seems very odd.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Exactly what do you mean by two separate TOU circuits are not allowed? 

Do you mean a person can't have two TOU meters for his residence...that is one meter feeding his residence (everything but his EV charger) and another on a separate circuit only feeding his EV charger?  If so that seems very odd.

The way I understand it is:

MEA doesn’t allow a second meter so if you want a TOU you can have one but you have to run everything off that  TOU and on peak is a little more expensive than normal tariff.

I doubt if PEA would let you have 2 TOU meters but can certainly have a normal tariff meter to run the house as normal and a TOU which is supposed to be for the Wall charger. I hope to have an additional socket from the TOU.

No doubt some are trying to run more than the charger on TOU on off peak, not sure of the ramifications of doing that.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The way I understand it is:

MEA doesn’t allow a second meter so if you want a TOU you can have one but you have to run everything off that  TOU and on peak is a little more expensive than normal tariff.

I doubt if PEA would let you have 2 TOU meters but can certainly have a normal tariff meter to run the house as normal and a TOU which is supposed to be for the Wall charger. I hope to have an additional socket from the TOU.

No doubt some are trying to run more than the charger on TOU on off peak, not sure of the ramifications of doing that.

When we had our wall box, charger and cable run for the TOU meter, my wife asked about additional sockets but they wouldn't do it. After PEA inspection and the meter is actually fitted i guess you can do it yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I expect your 2nd meter, your TOU meter, is a 15(45)A meter? 

If so, the PEA required minimum wire size from meter to residence is 16mm2 "regardless of the type of meter (i.e., regular, TOU, etc)....wire size based on meter load amperage rating and not meter type.  Required for any meter with a max rating from 35A to 50A....if your meter is 15(45)A then its max rating is 45A which will require 16mm2 wire from meter to wherever the circuit  breaker.

I think the free wall charger installation packages are price out to provide 10mm2 wire since most installations are from the residence main circuit panel which already has the required meter to panel wiring (i.e., not 2nd meter required)...and then the installer just needs to run 10mm2 wire from that panel to the charger to handle the 32A max charger current and there is no 2nd ground rod required.   Expect your increase costs are related to the 16mm2 wire size, 2nd ground rod, PVC piping, etc. 

41 minutes ago, Pib said:

I expect your 2nd meter, your TOU meter, is a 15(45)A meter? 

If so, the PEA required minimum wire size from meter to residence is 16mm2 "regardless of the type of meter (i.e., regular, TOU, etc)....wire size based on meter load amperage rating and not meter type.  Required for any meter with a max rating from 35A to 50A....if your meter is 15(45)A then its max rating is 45A which will require 16mm2 wire from meter to wherever the circuit  breaker.

I think the free wall charger installation packages are price out to provide 10mm2 wire since most installations are from the residence main circuit panel which already has the required meter to panel wiring (i.e., not 2nd meter required)...and then the installer just needs to run 10mm2 wire from that panel to the charger to handle the 32A max charger current and there is no 2nd ground rod required.   Expect your increase costs are related to the 16mm2 wire size, 2nd ground rod, PVC piping, etc. 

Yep, I think you nailed it.

I read somewhere that additional cabling ( above the free 15m ) is 200 baht per metre for a normal setup and 300 baht per metre for the TOU which would make perfect sense as per your post ( 10mm v 16mm wire ).

Anyone tried the karaoke ?

Well i thought i would take a look, with a couple of teenagers in the back it might be good fun, if they are awake that is !!

Well, it is surprisingly very good !!, a big choice of music in diverse languages and genres.

Sing along to the highlighted text and backing track with an option to plug in the microphone ( not supplied ).

Don’t be surprised to see BYD’s full of families/teenagers singing along merrily !!

What next ?

Twister ??

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

So, I guess you have all discovered the ability to change the theme and wallpaper of the centre screen, but did you know you can change those 3 shortcuts on the Home Screen.

Well if you didn’t, here’s how to do it.

A long press on the screen anywhere ( except on any icon ) will bring up your shortcut options.

IMG_2275.thumb.jpeg.e864d7569461e371430ae1a84d13c7d8.jpeg

A long press on your chosen option will highlight it and you can then drag it to replace one of the 3 default icons ( iPhone users will be familiar with this )

IMG_2277.thumb.jpeg.792da4d82cf9efd3e4cb4a00bfba0fca.jpeg

and hey presto you have your Home Screen adjusted to your liking.

• Thanks 2

Re: my last post 

While I have played around with the Home Screen options and found a choice I am happy with.

IMG_2274.thumb.jpeg.c20a7ca9d5ddf1acdbc7b267981362d7.jpeg

I have since lost it and cannot replicate it !!

I find the “ theme “ and “ wallpaper “ options a little confusing and try as I might cannot replicate that beige pattern above.

HELP !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yep, I think you nailed it.

I read somewhere that additional cabling ( above the free 15m ) is 200 baht per metre for a normal setup and 300 baht per metre for the TOU which would make perfect sense as per your post ( 10mm v 16mm wire ).

Got nothing to do with TOU meter...it simply applies to "any type" of 15 (45)A meter....standard meter, TOU meter, etc.   PEA/MEA requires 16mm2 copper wire from a 15 (45)A meter to the first breaker (or you can use 25mm2 aluminum wire)

image.png.516d9b3f620081e8ba50a8d5ae5988ad.png

image.png.a927567e5f296b002879f5b6120c1bff.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First world problems:

There is so much that's spendid and tremendous about the Seal. It has far exceeded all my expectations - expectations which were already very high.

The attention to detail is great, although there are a few niggly things which seem to have inexplicably escaped the notice of the designers/programmers.

As mentioned before, the absence of seat memory buttons on the door is nothing short of unforgivable. 

And does anyone else think that the definition of text and icons on the smaller screen could be better? Okay, it's not the end of the world but, during daylight hours, neither of the settings (light or dark) is as good as it should be. I have never had a car before with this problem.

Having said that, at nighttime, the dark setting works quite well.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, macahoom said:

First world problems:

There is so much that's spendid and tremendous about the Seal. It has far exceeded all my expectations - expectations which were already very high.

The attention to detail is great, although there are a few niggly things which seem to have inexplicably escaped the notice of the designers/programmers.

As mentioned before, the absence of seat memory buttons on the door is nothing short of unforgivable. 

And does anyone else think that the definition of text and icons on the smaller screen could be better? Okay, it's not the end of the world but, during daylight hours, neither of the settings (light or dark) is as good as it should be. I have never had a car before with this problem.

Having said that, at nighttime, the dark setting works quite well.

Don't forget that they robbed us of this gold-nugget........or does this have to be filed under 'TIT'?  :cheesy:

(For those not familiar with the issue - there was a lot of talk that the the 'Build your Dreams' lettering looks silly, so export versions were changed to the simple 'BYD' - now we have those owners who want to put the 'Build your Dreams' back on. Well, at least it sounds better than "Bayrische Motoren Werke')

411885490_6988559251227627_8231437825038249122_n.jpg

17 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seal owners in the U.K. got nothing, not even “BYD” while owners in Brazil got the full “ Build your Dreams “ when it was released a couple of months ago.

Wonder what criteria they use when deciding who gets what, along the extra exterior and interior colours and number of models seems like no two countries are the same.

For example:

China and Brazil get this rather fetching green colour:

IMG_2286.thumb.jpeg.5f166258b7e7289bf253e6f606f878e9.jpeg

How about a wrap?  :burp:

412582715_10223012635009955_234707111372554385_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1