BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

52 minutes ago, Pib said:

How did they power it up to check it out if the meter is not installed yet?

My BYD charger....a Zieda model...came with a cable hanger.  You could buy a water hose hanger for about a Bt100 most anywhere or buy a charging cable hanger online like the one below on lazada.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.OjdBj

20231223_170137.thumb.jpg.f1be85e9335eafa3d83543d940175135.jpg

They used an extension lead and plugged the 2 x 16mm cables ( ready to connect to the new meter ) into the socket on the lead.

Tested the 40A breaker and the main breaker cut the power to the charger.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, macahoom said:

To house the whole unit?

I don't think a cabinet is a good idea. Best to have it not enclosed to minimize heat.

Seen a few on FB have enclosed the whole thing but leave the door open when charging.

Looks nice but have ordered a hook from Lazada.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

How did they power it up to check it out if the meter is not installed yet?

My BYD charger....a Zieda model...came with a cable hanger.  You could buy a water hose hanger for about a Bt100 most anywhere or buy a charging cable hanger online like the one below on lazada.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.OjdBj

That’s a pretty neat hanger, the charger has a hole in it for the charging head anyway so I went with this one for a bicycle:

IMG_2312.jpeg.0d99110032ef02f1fb3d7d81ff72791b.jpeg

58 baht, free shipping !

” You can take the boy out of Yorkshire but you can’t ………… “

2 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I thought you can save your settings to Disable ADAS so that you do not need to disable again after startup . Are the Thai seal different than AUS seal.  If not , how are your experiences with BYD ADAS.

I just watched a bit of that, the guy is a tool, he has another BYD video, equally annoying.

In my experience :

I turned off lane keep assist when leaving the showroom, stopped to disable road sign recognition and when I got back home went through the other stuff and disabled what I didn’t want ( turned off the blind spot thingy as I find it distracting ). Haven’t had to make any further adjustments or had any warnings since, 24 days , except for the external sensors which alert when someone is near the car( when I am stopped ) and the seat belt warning when the little lady “ forgets “.

The indicator can be changed to normal sound by the Standard/Brand button and I don’t get the screen start/stop music either ( not sure if that goes with the Brand button or has another button elsewhere ).

Maybe AUS Seals are different ?, I keep meaning to go through all the settings since I did the OTA to see if anything has changed, will look tomorrow.

I do recall that DAW ( Driver Alert Warning ) sensitivity hadn’t stayed off but I have never had the warning while driving ( coffee cup and text ) so forgot about that one.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Good to know that BYD software here allow you to disable the Adas and keep it disable and do not require you to set it everytime you start the car . Thanks 

Just had a look, everything on ADAS remains off except for the DAW but it has not given me any warnings yet.

I do agree with the video guy that when you disable stuff they appear in orange on the instrument cluster which I think is unnecessary.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

On 12/23/2023 at 5:02 PM, Pib said:

Why have 1 when you can have 3?

I have a 16amp charger, and a switchable 32amp, 24amp, 16amp, 10amp charger.  I also have a granny charger that looks identical to the switchable one on the wall but on a 16amp plug, it's switchable 6amp, 10amp, 13amp and 16amp it also has a 10 meter long cable, we've only used it once when my daughter stayed overnight at a motel in Phayao.

Temp.png

Temp1.png

• Haha 1

Here's a suggestion to use your TOU meter for your whole house on the cheap rate, but only if they are both on the same phase and that can't be changed without you knowing and you have a WiFi signal where you bring them together in your house.

Program ...

the TOU breaker to connect at time TOU cheap rate starts

the NORMAL RATE breaker to disconnect 1 minute after the TOU cheap rate starts

the NORMAL RATE breaker to connect at the time TOU cheap rate finishes

the TOU breaker to disconnect 1 minute after time TOU cheap rate finishes

There will be no momentary loss of power causing any glitches.  

The WiFi breakers below are just some of the many TUYA ones available, some cheaper, some more expensive.

Temp.png

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The salesman called me to say my Space Grey Seal Performance will not come till next year and price may go up 50k THB, he's not sure on the price increase yet.

He can get me white or black performance now, so I told him to get me the white one and I will wrap it Porsche FrozenBerry.  I should have it later this week.

I think you've made a great decision.

I'm not so happy with a situation where you've paid a deposit on a car and it can end up costing more than what you signed up for.

12 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The salesman called me to say my Space Grey Seal Performance will not come till next year and price may go up 50k THB, he's not sure on the price increase yet.

it would be a poor pricing strategy for byd to charge an additional 50k thb after customers have ordered

a car in time to receive the full 150k thb incentive. however, i don't think they will implement such a policy!

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

He can get me white or black performance now, so I told him to get me the white one and I will wrap it Porsche FrozenBerry.  I should have it later this week.

congratulations, the white looks pretty nice too.

Yeah, pretty poor show not honouring the agreed price, I would show my disappointment ….. might get a free BYD polo shirt 😃

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

congratulations, the white looks pretty nice too.

Yeah, pretty poor show not honouring the agreed price, I would show my disappointment ….. might get a free BYD polo shirt 😃

50k THB for a polo shirt would stick in my craw!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

A case of not being able to take possession of the car on/before 31 Dec (not your fault but since BYD can't deliver by 31 Dec) AND register the car by end of Jan 2024 to get the full Bt150K govt incentive from the govt.  An incentive that changes to Bt100K beginning 1 Jan 2024.  

I've been wondering how EV dealerships would handle the lower incentive....just raise prices to offset the lower incentive which allows them to make the same profit....OR, just keep the prices the same by absorbing the lower incentive.    I expect that decision has already been made by the car manufacturers/dealerships but they will keep that decision close-hold/top secret until they have to show their cards.

But Merry Christmas and glad to hear you are getting a Seal.

• Agree 1

On 12/16/2023 at 5:03 AM, kevp said:

I love the car, and while the sales team is friendly, communication is definitely not a strength of BYD.

I have had mine for 10 days now, SIM card still doesn’t work; am being told by the salesman to see the technician, technician tells me that it’s the sales person that needs to file the paperwork, so the sim might just not be ‘active’ yet, one person told me the sim is from Singapore, hence the roaming, then they tell me it’s AIS that’s responsible for the SIM? So no data without wifi and the BYD app is not bound yet.

Side note about the 2GB quota, from what the sales person told me before, you get 500MB in the first month then it goes to 2GB per month for 2 years.

Another issue we faced is after picking up the car, they told us we have to get the plates registered within a given timeframe; generally not a problem, but given the holidays coming up this became a frustrating back and forth of them giving us a firm deadline of when we need to do this by. Ended up having to change the family member that ‘owns’ the car as a foreigner needs to give the real passport when doing this.

Anyways, rant over and while I hope others have a smoother first couple of weeks with the car, I’d love to hear that everything worked out with the sim after a while of it not working.

Hi, just a little update for anyone interested or having the same issue.

I’ve been trying to access the BYD app and succeeded today! So that took a total of just under 3 weeks from the date I picked the car up for my email address to be bound to the car.

I am away at the moment so cannot verify that the SIM card is now working with data for Spotify etc., but the app works to see the current status of the car, so some data is being shared at least.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Did you already pay a deposit or just a booking fee?

My Seal was meant to be here on the 18th, but it is arriving on the 27th, as such I cannot take delivery of it until January. 

I've already paid for it, so they will not be getting any additional money. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Pib said:

A case of not being able to take possession of the car on/before 31 Dec (not your fault but since BYD can't deliver by 31 Dec) AND register the car by end of Jan 2024 to get the full Bt150K govt incentive from the govt.  An incentive that changes to Bt100K beginning 1 Jan 2024.  

I've been wondering how EV dealerships would handle the lower incentive....just raise prices to offset the lower incentive which allows them to make the same profit....OR, just keep the prices the same by absorbing the lower incentive.    I expect that decision has already been made by the car manufacturers/dealerships but they will keep that decision close-hold/top secret until they have to show their cards.

But Merry Christmas and glad to hear you are getting a Seal.

It could have been a ploy given by the manager to the salesman to get me to take a car this year.  I was in 2 minds whether to wrap it anyway, I love the frozenberry colour.

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Did you already pay a deposit or just a booking fee?

My Seal was meant to be here on the 18th, but it is arriving on the 27th, as such I cannot take delivery of it until January. 

I've already paid for it, so they will not be getting any additional money. 

I paid a deposit, it lists what I get free etc, interestingly it says delivery date 18th January 2024, which is exactly 3 months from order date, the salesman told me 30-45 days delivery for Space Grey Performance.  Another salesguy in Chiang Mai told me 3 months, so he was probably better informed. I test drove 19th October, I drove half the journey, my brother in-law from Australia drove the other half.  When we got back to the dealership, I ordered mine and he ordered his Blue Premium online in Australia whilst in the showroom here. At the time, the Seal was just being launched, he got his car last Friday.

@Mr MeeseeksWhich colour did you choose?

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, have just had the Sinjet rear/front camera and mirror combo installed and so far am very happy.

A very respectful and competent installation by a couple of Sinjet installation techs. As currently they only fit to the BYD Seal they did the task effortlessly and took 1 hour.

2 years guarantee.

Free 64gb micro sd card.

The front camera and replacement mirror.

IMG_2139.thumb.jpeg.99d50f627d24872f57e539e031a6a701.jpeg

Rear camera ( can be fit inside also ):

IMG_2140.thumb.jpeg.8526c2e8de00953afaeeae28e3822db6.jpeg

regular mirror view ( led mirror switched off ):

IMG_2143.thumb.jpeg.3e565cedfabe348cc80d5ad6dfc87b30.jpeg

switched on:

IMG_2146.thumb.jpeg.ed73eb1973506552958e2b26652aba3e.jpeg

snapshot from rear camera:

IMG_2150.thumb.jpeg.6db3fff1b4e78c624ddf5bc5abdbdb23.jpeg

snapshot from front camera:

IMG_2149.thumb.jpeg.95335a18b168057cc97ff5c2d5c97c7c.jpeg

I had already bought the BYD dash camera but saw on a FB post that the Sinjet camera combo and BYD dash can be installed together so thought “ what the heck “ and asked the guys to fit it also.

IMG_2148.thumb.jpeg.3cde57dbc7f31bdbce7f28f8fca5b593.jpeg

IMG_2151.thumb.jpeg.0cd455306b62a1b266c3b139b7753d7b.jpeg

“ to be sure, to be sure “ Reg Dwyer ® 

Obviously i need to check the resolution is as good as stated and at night time number plates are legible. So in a couple of days i hope to be able to check the Sinjet and BYD videos against each other for resolution and post on here a sample of both.

Obvious advantages are that there’s up to 24 hours time lapse videos ( 1 frame per second ), the rear view is optimised and the mirror can be turned to face the driver for optimal viewing (although i found it a little distracting initially).

The feeds come directly from auto wiper ( front ) and license plate lights ( rear camera ).

I also learned that Sinjet have an office in Chiang Rai so if anyone up north is interested @JBChiangRai

Now you've had the SinJet mirror awhile, how are you finding it to live with? nighttime etc?

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Now you've had the SinJet mirror awhile, how are you finding it to live with? nighttime etc?

Yeh, its okay, nighttime get a lot of glare from the car behind headlights, the height of it seems to cause that.

I initially wanted it inside at the top middle ( away from the weather, headlights and any small bump would write it off down by the license plate) but the guy put me off by saying it would get glare from the brake light in rear window and had to see through the film although 40% on the front and seems okay ( 60% at rear window ).

Wish I had pushed for inside now, I suppose he could move it for me ?.

Initially I had it turning off after a couple of minutes as I found it a little distracting but now it is on all the time, rear view, and facing towards me and is okay.

The guy is super busy and has a model for the Dolphin also, did an update yesterday ( small upgrades ) he posted a link to a google drive image doc which I added to my sd card and updated.

It suits the Seal very well, very well thought out and no regrets ( other than inside v outside ).

I see from some FB posts that the BYD  dash cam won’t work if you install after the latest OTA and some are downgrading, installing the camera and updating to make it work ( same case for sideloading apps ).

Seems a bit unlikely but plenty talking about it so just for your info if you have any issue with the BYD dash cam install.

• Thanks 1

@JBChiangRai

Re: the BYD badges.

I bought 2 thinking front and back were the same but they aren’t, front is embedded.

The badges I bought only fit the front as are too shallow for the rear.

Decided against fitting the front also as it looks too “ chunky “ for my liking.

Plasti dip or repainting the badges is still an option but the way the front badge is mounted ( not removable ) puts me off so will forget that idea.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

@JBChiangRai

I bought 2 thinking front and back were the same but they aren’t, front is embedded.

Decided against fitting the front also as it looks too “ chunky “ for my liking.

Plasti dip or repainting the badges is still an option but the way the front badge is mounted ( not removable ) puts me off so will forget that idea.

All the back badges are coming off the back on mine, then I will put just one badge, the black 3.8s or maybe the black AWD

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

@JBChiangRai

I think you can wrap the badge on the front in any colour you want, even transparent colour, chromes 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Which colour did you choose?

I ordered the white. 

The reason was, I liked the exterior contrast with the black interior and white piping.

Saw a few black ones going about yesterday, they look really nice because there's no chrome on them, really stealthy looking.

Black is usually my preferred choice, not sure if regretting choosing the white now. Will see when it comes.