BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Yeh, I know how to do this.

What I want to know is how I can call up and view my fastest time etc. the next day, or the next week or whenever.

Any time I've launched the car, the stats remain on the screen for a limited length of time. I want to know how to retrieve them.

By the way, you'll get a faster time if your battery is at 95% or above and you hold your LEFT foot on the brake, floor the accelerator pedal and then take your foot off the brake.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a video I made before updating my Seal’s software. 

This demonstrates just how crazy loud the pedestrian alert was with my very old software version. I wish they had left it like this and added the option to turn it on or off.

• Thanks 2

interesting, the price of the byd seal performance is still the same at 1'599'000 thb (www.reverautomotive.com) ...

what do you think, does byd bring next few months / this year some new models into the thai market?

eg. a crossover / suv more premium as the atto 3 would be nice ...

11 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

interesting, the price of the byd seal performance is still the same at 1'599'000 thb (www.reverautomotive.com) ...

what do you think, does byd bring next few months / this year some new models into the thai market?

I have to collect some doucments from the dealer so I will check if the price really did change, or whether I have been played...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

It is hard to keep up with all the BYD launches but the Seal U or the Song L would do well here I think.

Both larger SUV’s than the Atto 3 and something to compete with the Fortuna, must surely be in BYD’s sights.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have to collect some doucments from the dealer so I will check if the price really did change, or whether I have been played...

Salesman said the prices have not been announced yet, maybe I was played...

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

btw, my Seal doesn't make any icecream or other pedestrian warning sounds.  

But it can if you want !

Mine also came with the AVAS switch in the off position but I did have a little play to see what i was missing ….. not much .

The OTA update didn’t change things in the ice cream van/spaceship area anyways .

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Mine doesn't seem to have an AVAS setting.

I can change to "Brand" it makes a plop noise when I press the start stop button but nothing when I am driving slowly.

Are you sure ?

Swipe down from the top and expand Vehicle control, far left on mine.

IMG_2428.thumb.jpeg.2894f6bcc42f5ec6970e9aa263e2d641.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So, here’s a question for ya !!

Swiping down on the screen gets me this:

IMG_2445.thumb.jpeg.0ac2808fc8b64fbc3f2b2106db8f8ac7.jpeg

I noticed the “ Energy Feedback “ button, which when pressed goes from this:

IMG_2443.thumb.jpeg.48c4346126361d14af348030826ec574.jpeg

to this:

IMG_2442.thumb.jpeg.aefea983b1bf5c9c0e002c9f2e1a51c9.jpeg

seems like an increase/decrease in energy feedback !, but what does that mean exactly and what difference does it make ??

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, here’s a question for ya !!

Swiping down on the screen gets me this:

IMG_2445.thumb.jpeg.0ac2808fc8b64fbc3f2b2106db8f8ac7.jpeg

I noticed the “ Energy Feedback “ button, which when pressed goes from this:

IMG_2443.thumb.jpeg.48c4346126361d14af348030826ec574.jpeg

to this:

IMG_2442.thumb.jpeg.aefea983b1bf5c9c0e002c9f2e1a51c9.jpeg

seems like an increase/decrease in energy feedback !, but what does that mean exactly and what difference does it make ??

If I’m not mistaken, in the Dolphin, it changes the regen between high and standard.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

If I’m not mistaken, in the Dolphin, it changes the regen between high and standard.

Ah okay, that makes sense, I’ll check it out .

Yup, it does indeed change the regen between high and standard.

I was thrown by the wording “ Energy Feedback “.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

BYD Seal Paint/Wrap

I know I’ve mentioned this a couple of times, but I consider this the only real shortcoming of the car. I am just not sure what to do about it. 

PPF gets mixed reviews. I have touch up paint, but that is not a solution for a situation like the one below. Any suggestions?

IMG_3160.thumb.jpeg.f8fa2c90b09d4d2776a061928a07fdc9.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bandersnatch said:

This is a logical explanation as the damage to my car is exactly the same place.

With that happening, at the very least, I would recommend PPF on your nose cones, it looks like it's going to be endemic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD Seal Paint/Wrap

I know I’ve mentioned this a couple of times, but I consider this the only real shortcoming of the car. I am just not sure what to do about it. 

PPF gets mixed reviews. I have touch up paint, but that is not a solution for a situation like the one below. Any suggestions?

IMG_3160.thumb.jpeg.f8fa2c90b09d4d2776a061928a07fdc9.jpeg

I must admit that although i did say a 6 monthly wax would be sufficient i still feel a PPF would give infinite more protection from those bouncing stones from that big old trucks pulling out in front of me ( i avoid these like the plague !!).

I had toyed with the idea of a front end wrap combined with a ceramic coating, purely for economical reasons, but that wouldn’t help when the owner of the old pickup lets his kids open the door with gay abandon ( can we say that anymore ? ) hitting my car despite me parking at the most remote end of the car park !!

Not looking to change the colour, just a clear wrap will do, but that 60k (guessing there) would go a long way towards touch ups or even 6 monthly waxing.

Decisions, decisions  !!, why do we have to have options ??

How did you get on with the touch up @Bandersnatch ?, i have done it in the past with far from satisfactory results but once it is hidden then it is forgotten.

• Like 1

One slightly disappointing thing with the Seal.

The two USB sockets up front only allow one for transferring data, so I have my music USB Thumb Drive plugged in that one. A 128GB memory SD card for the dash cam in the only other slot that can play music and the USB C slot can’t be used for Apple Car Play or Music.  I can have any 2 of the 3 “Music, Car Play, Dashcam” but never all 3.

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The two USB sockets up front only allow one for transferring data, so I have my music USB Thumb Drive plugged in that one. A 128GB memory SD card for the dash cam in the only other slot that can play music and the USB C slot can’t be used for Apple Car Play or Music.  I can have any 2 of the 3 “Music, Car Play, Dashcam” but never all 3.

Unique problem you have there :). I’m usually listening to either Spotify (app built in) or YT Music or listening to YT. Both these apps are sideloaded onto the Android OS which powers the infotainment system.

Couldnt you blue tooth to your phone to listen to your playlists on it?

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Could a USB hub help with this? Have you tried?

I prefer fake carbon fiber over real plastic - at least the kind we have on our Thailand cars (the Chinese have much nicer plastic, I would not need to add this fake carbon fiber)

But it looks so much better now.

photo_2024-01-06_17-45-28.jpg

photo_2024-01-06_17-45-32.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

How did you get on with the touch up @Bandersnatch ?, i have done it in the past with far from satisfactory results but once it is hidden then it is forgotten.

I keep putting it off as I'm worried I'll only make it worse. But you're right "once it is hidden then it is forgotten"

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Unique problem you have there :). I’m usually listening to either Spotify (app built in) or YT Music or listening to YT. Both these apps are sideloaded onto the Android OS which powers the infotainment system.

Couldnt you blue tooth to your phone to listen to your playlists on it?

I don't have any music on my iPhone, I have a 64GB USB Thumb drive with all my favourite music on and play it set to random. I like Apple Car Play for the Navigation as it has all my locations stored, it's not a huge deal, I can live with the incar navigation system.

13 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Could a USB hub help with this? Have you tried?

I did wonder about that, I do have one, I will try it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't have any music on my iPhone, I have a 64GB USB Thumb drive with all my favourite music on and play it set to random. I like Apple Car Play for the Navigation as it has all my locations stored, it's not a huge deal, I can live with the incar navigation system.

I did wonder about that, I do have one, I will try it.

64GB is a huge number of songs if your thumb drive is full. I’m not sure what the car onboard storage is but you can also upload your songs onto a local folder and play it from there. When cycling through the different play modes, there is a local option. I always wondered what that option meant but I think it is for this exact purpose ie uploading your personal stuff onto the car infotainment system.

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

64GB is a huge number of songs if your thumb drive is full. I’m not sure what the car onboard storage is but you can also upload your songs onto a local folder and play it from there. When cycling through the different play modes, there is a local option. I always wondered what that option meant but I think it is for this exact purpose ie uploading your personal stuff onto the car infotainment system.

Local is the onboard storage, I think it’s around 56 gb (?).

I have all my music on my iPhone ( 82 gb ) and I just use Bluetooth via the Music app , works just like my iPod touch ( now resigned to the drawer ).

Now if you want to use google maps via Apple CarPlay it might not be a good option to play music via Bluetooth as well.

There is the option to sideload Google maps but now most Seal owners have updated I don’t believe it is possible and I am reading Seal owners on the latest version are downgrading to sideload/install APK’s then updating again ……. sounds like a lot of work !

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Local is the onboard storage, I think it’s around 56 gb (?).

I have all my music on my iPhone ( 82 gb ) and I just use Bluetooth via the Music app , works just like my iPod touch ( now resigned to the drawer ).

Now if you want to use google maps via Apple CarPlay it might not be a good option to play music via Bluetooth as well.

There is the option to sideload Google maps but now most Seal owners have updated I don’t believe it is possible and I am reading Seal owners on the latest version are downgrading to sideload/install APK’s then updating again ……. sounds like a lot of work !

In order to sideload and install apps, you need the password to get into the relevant menu. I think the password changes with every update so that could be the hurdle. It eventually turns up on YT though :)

I have also installed the main charging apps (PEA, PTT, ELEXA) but haven’t tried using them yet. The app loads up just fine.

• Thanks 1