BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

8 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

11kw chargers are rated at 16amps per phase, with the Seal only having a single face connection, the charger will tell the car to draw no more than 16 Amps

8 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

11kw chargers are rated at 16amps per phase, with the Seal only having a single face connection, the charger will tell the car to draw no more than 16 Amps

Of course, why would I trust my lying eyes when we have your opinion to the contrary... :burp:

Alas - this is how all ABB chargers for the BYD Seal in Thailand are set up by default.

image.png.3473118356848ddfd75319db2f91db2f.png

1 minute ago, mistral53 said:

Of course, why would I trust my lying eyes when we have your opinion to the contrary... :burp:

Alas - this is how all ABB chargers for the BYD Seal in Thailand are set up by default.

image.png.3473118356848ddfd75319db2f91db2f.png

You don’t have an 11Kw wallbox.

Your wallbox is 7.2Kw single phase or 22Kw 3 phase wired up single or 3 phase.

Importantly, your cable supplying the wallbox is rated at 32 amps (per phase).

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You don’t have an 11Kw wallbox.

Your wallbox is 7.2Kw single phase or 22Kw 3 phase wired up single or 3 phase.

Importantly, your cable supplying the wallbox is rated at 32 amps (per phase).

Yup - that would explain this........

My point was simply that the BYD Seal charges with 7.X KW on one phase.

Edited by mistral53

14 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Yup - that would explain this........

My point was simply that the BYD Seal charges with 7.X KW on one phase.

The ABB wall box that BYD supply is actually an excellent product.

It can also change the charging current on the fly, which is most unusual, but necessary if you link it up to your solar installation.

I hope someone can develop something on a raspberry pie to control it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

the new 2025 BYD Seal ... top speed of 240 km/h ... this will make the germans happy  :goof:

Cool video, and it appears BYD took care of some of the limitations of their batteries in the upgraded 3.0 Evo version, which allows them to push the envelop further.

The unanswered question is regarding the entire design philosophy - a youtuber (Gilevich Sergey) stated it very well by comparing German and Chinese made cars: The Germans build their cars for the autobahn without speed-limits, the Chinese build cars for a top speed of 150 km/h because nobody is allowed to go faster. The current generation BYD Seal is a good example for his point: above 150 km/h, the car is unsafe to drive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I drove from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai this morning, the road is terrible, lots of mud where they are widening it or resurfacing it.

I went straight to the car wash and had it washed. Leaving the car wash every time I touch the brakes I could hear, the brake pads scraping on the disks.

I headed to BYD to get it looked at and within 3 or 4 km. It had stopped, I’m guessing it was dirt, that got sprayed inbetween the discs and the pads when it was washed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I drove from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai this morning, the road is terrible, lots of mud where they are widening it or resurfacing it.

I went straight to the car wash and had it washed. Leaving the car wash every time I touch the brakes I could hear, the brake pads scraping on the disks.

I headed to BYD to get it looked at and within 3 or 4 km. It had stopped, I’m guessing it was dirt, that got sprayed inbetween the discs and the pads when it was washed. 

A similar thing happenned on my Atto back in late Dec 2023...specifically the day after the car had its first service checkup at 3 months/5,000Km.  Actually I ened up having this checkup done at about the 2 month/4,000km point.  After the checkup I drove it back home which was about a 10km trip....used the brake numerous times....quiet as a mouse.     

The very next day the wife and I setout on a trip which would be about 300km roundtrip.  But about 25km into the trip I noticed whenever I pressed the brakes I would hear a squeal coming from the front brakes. After driving about another 25km the brake squeal remained whenever pressing the brake.  So, we decided to abort the trip and head back home with a stop at the dealership that did the checkup the day before.    All driving since the checkup had been on smooth pavement.....no mud, gravel, dirt, etc.  

HOWEVER, right after I did a U-turn where this particular U-turn had 4 right turns to complete (not a classic U-turn) which involved more than the average amount of turning to complete the U-turn  the squeal was gone.  I pressed the brakes over and over for the next 10km or so....no squeal.  So, did another U-turn and continued on with our planned 300km trip with no brake squeal.  That was 8 months ago now....been no brake squeal since then.

I guess that U-turn to head back home cleared whatever was causing the squeal....maybe some road debris caught in the braking assembly, maybe XYZ.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:53 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

The part about the manual EPB does seem a little confusing, especially this part

IMG_1565.jpeg.a65a1953f02e1c75a5ed6a5750fe24d1.jpeg

Assuming this means; selecting manual mode in the info screen you have to manually actuate the EPB when parking the car.

Am also assuming you have to manually release it when starting the car although it doesn’t tell you that.

Automatic EPB engagement and release mode means when you select P ( parking gear ) with your foot on brake the EPB engages and likewise when you put your foot on the brake and select either D ( Drive ) or R ( Reverse ) the EPB is released.

The large P ( parking gear ) , as opposed to D, R or N , versus the small p in a circle ( parking brake ) does seem to cause confusion, especially among the Thai owners.

I certainly hope nobody engages the electronic parking brake before they start to park the car

• Sad 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:22 PM, JBChiangRai said:

The ABB wall box that BYD supply is actually an excellent product.

It can also change the charging current on the fly, which is most unusual, but necessary if you link it up to your solar installation.

I hope someone can develop something on a raspberry pie to control it.

Dr. Heisenberg, I am a bit uncertain how a pie 🥧 will control 😋 anything other than ur appetite???

Hope you don't mind I had a piece. 

51238250_nectarine,plum-raspberry-pie_1x1.jpg

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Dr. Heisenberg, I am a bit uncertain how a pie 🥧 will control 😋 anything other than ur appetite???

Hope you don't mind I had a piece. 

51238250_nectarine,plum-raspberry-pie_1x1.jpg

that doesn’t look like a raspberry pie

Autocorrect is a botch

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Is it just me that is getting a 30 minute download time?

Apologies I thought a  5 second video would play ok - it works fine for me but I have created a YouTube  while walking the dogs

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 3:26 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Has anyone found a solution to the rear camera getting covered in dirt & rain?

Wonder if RainX would work. Or WD40?

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Like 1

Have just done my first free charge, 61kwh courtesy of BYD Chainat.

Wasn't going to bother but stopped off on the way back from the mil’s and had a little look at the app, 5 locations ( red spot ) available on my route and to my surprise a DC charger available 5km down the road, well …. it would be rude not to !.

Got some help from a lovely lady in an Atto 3 as found it a little confusing, anyway got filled up but am now not sure about this “ redeem code “ button.

What does it mean ?

IMG_4697.thumb.jpeg.ef680a0a30fa35ac3da4ffe80ffdffe0.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

That redeem button is for manually adding/entering/activating other free/discount coupons you might get.  

Press the Redeem Code button and a window will pop-up up to enter a code number.  If it's a valid/unused code number and it's a coupon that can be manually added it will be added to your wallet. 

Enter the code from the Rever Group coupon and it will be rejected since you already have the coupon loaded. 

Some coupons can not be redeemed manually as they are only added by accomplishing another process like how the Rever Group coupon is added by accomlishing the AutoCharge setup process where the Charger communicates with the Vehicle to validate the VIN.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Have just done my first free charge, 61kwh courtesy of BYD Chainat.

Wasn't going to bother but stopped off on the way back from the mil’s and had a little look at the app, 5 locations ( red spot ) available on my route and to my surprise a DC charger available 5km down the road, well …. it would be rude not to !.

Got some help from a lovely lady in an Atto 3 as found it a little confusing, anyway got filled up but am now not sure about this “ redeem code “ button.

What does it mean ?

IMG_4697.thumb.jpeg.ef680a0a30fa35ac3da4ffe80ffdffe0.jpeg

Be honest now, feels good to get a free charge doesn’t it? The 1 hour that it takes actually passes by very quickly if you’re sitting down for something to eat of having a cuppa and going through some mails. In my case, I’m usually watching some YT channels, a lot of the videos I watch are over an hour long so charging is finished before I’m ready to go.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Pib said:

That redeem button is for manually adding/entering/activating other free/discount coupons you might get.  

Press the Redeem Code button and a window will pop-up up to enter a code number.  If it's a valid/unused code number and it's a coupon that can be manually added it will be added to your wallet. 

Enter the code from the Rever Group coupon and it will be rejected since you already have the coupon loaded. 

Some coupons can not be redeemed manually as they are only added by accomplishing another process like how the Rever Group coupon is added by accomlishing the AutoCharge setup process where the Charger communicates with the Vehicle to validate the VIN.

Thanks @Pib, i knew i could rely on you to come up with the goods !

• Like 1