Who got bored in Thailand and went back?

georgegeorgia

17 hours ago, WhatMeWorry said:

The best option is to spend time between Thailand and your home country. I did that for many years but now I am getting too old to jet from one end of the world to the next every year. It will soon be time to choose one as my permanent home. What to do?

I guess before ...yes before that you decide to up everything, that you decide your daily weekly routine 

Maybe even doing a " practice run" ....3 months stay etc 

Edited by georgegeorgia

23 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess before ...yes before that you decide to up everything, that you decide your daily weekly routine 

Maybe even doing a " practice run" ....3 months stay etc 

My first long-term stays in Thailand were as a skilled volunteer at a Thai NGO under patronage of the (then) King of Thailand. So I got to see a bit of what's what and who's who that the casual tourist would never see before the above suggested 3-month practice run.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well, I can't say I got bored, but I went bankrupt and had to go back. So, hold back with comments about burning bridges and so on. Can't blame Thailand (well maybe some of it) Long story short I need it to go back with nothing apart from a few suitcases and my Thai wife. Airfare paid by Thai family members I only met a few times. No income in OZ no job at all and no accommodation since I sold my house and business when I moved to Thailand. So, am I poor now? No, I get a good pension and my wife makes between 40 and 50 dollars per hour. She never ever could make that in Thailand. 

Yes , be great to hear more of your story 

I know you mentioned you and your Thai wife moved back to Australia to a Country city and she works in a nursing home I think you mentioned

May I ask how you went bankrupt 

Edited by georgegeorgia

8 hours ago, JimTripper said:

mine is about 700-800 a month. i can see the past records on the account from the last bloke who lived here and they range from 3k -6k a month! wtf

Depends on where you are. Chiang Rai can be significantly cooler than other parts of Thailand. I really only need to run the aircon for 3 months.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I don't want to go off topic but not every senior citizen 70plus still working is broke , I have 10 in my workplace who are rich and still come to work, I think lonilesness I'm thinking , one guy is 81 

He turns up every morning at his 5am shift ,goodness knows why 

Saw a tradie on a road work site and thought how old he looked ... but I thought I am sure he's happier with blokes on site than sitting in his lounge room with his wife hovering nearby .. but then there's Thailand

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Basically 2 pints. £7.50 each. Easily pay that outside london.

No chance mate, makes me wonder where you have been drinking. £7 for 2 pints more like it. Yes Wetherspoons are cheap but other places only a little bit more. When I waa in London in September I didnt pay nothing like £7.50 a pint.

Could contain:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jimn said:

Where did you go to drink that? The Ritz? I struggle to think of anywhere in the UK where you would have to pay £15 for a beer and a shandy. In a Wetherspoons it would be about £6 or £7, even in an expensive pub, no more than £12. Maybe you went to an exclusive club like Claridges.

The area was  Ealing  in West London, the pub was " The Grange",      Wetherspoons  which I found later  was 5.90 for the same 2 drinks... Im told  by friends living in London that 15 quid  is quite the normal

28 minutes ago, jimn said:

No chance mate, makes me wonder where you have been drinking. £7 for 2 pints more like it. Yes Wetherspoons are cheap but other places only a little bit more. When I waa in London in September I didnt pay nothing like £7.50 a pint.

Could contain:

Its wetherspoons though.

A tshirt in primark is £2 but its not the norm. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My electricity bill is 400 baht/ month, rising to 700 baht/month during the smoke season when I am running the aircon and two air purifiers.

What can I say, other than I have never had an electric bill of less than 700 baht, even when I first came here and rented a condo on a year long lease, and that was nearly 15 years ago.

I think the monthly bill back then when I was offshore was about 800 or 900 baht.

I just checked my last bill and 200 baht alone was standing charge and VAT and I would think my monthly showers alone would cost more than another 200 baht.

So whatever you are doing to have a monthly leccy bill of around 400 baht is good going 😀😀

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 1:22 AM, FruitPudding said:

But who knows what my home country will look like in a few decades

Who knows what Thailand ( or anywhere else ) will look like in a few decades?

We're all rolling the dice...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, impulse said:

One of the downsides to Thailand.  If you want to pick up even a few hours of work a week- out of boredom or need-, you risk a one way trip for violating WP regulations. 

The way I understand it, you can't even volunteer unless you want to risk someone you've cheezed off ratting you out for volunteering without a WP.

The key here is to try not to cheeze people off, no?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, BenStark said:

I haven't locked my doors for the past 10 years, don't even know where the keys are.

I lock them from the inside at night, as i don't fancy to wake up with someone standing beside the bed.

But when I go out I never lock. My reasoning is that someone who wants to be inside will get there anyway, so I prefer he goes in through an open door, instead of breaking a window.

Agreed

Day to day windows and doors are always open, even when I go out.

Somebody wants to come in to rob you they will do so, even if the windows and doors are locked.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

What can I say, other than I have never had an electric bill of less than 700 baht, even when I first came here and rented a condo on a year long lease, and that was nearly 15 years ago.

I think the monthly bill back then when I was offshore was about 800 or 900 baht.

I just checked my last bill and 200 baht alone was standing charge and VAT and I would think my monthly showers alone would cost more than another 200 baht.

So whatever you are doing to have a monthly leccy bill of around 400 baht is good going 😀😀

is it worth it to not run a fan all month to save 300 baht 🤣

32 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

is it worth it to not run a fan all month to save 300 baht 🤣

No idea, I thiought you would be able to tell me 😂😂

I have never had a leccy bill in the region of yours

mine is about 700-800 a month

Except the months I was offshore and the condo was empty.

19 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

No idea, I thiought you would be able to tell me 😂😂

I have never had a leccy bill in the region of yours

Except the months I was offshore and the condo was empty.

it helps to not want or need a/c.

without a/c it's a non issue.

6 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

I found it very boring I. Thailand!

the bright lights wore off pretty quickly!

too many low end retirees there, simply not the crowd I was attracted to.

Wow!

Thanks for being honest 

Did you just go on holiday or did you live there for awhile?

Edited by georgegeorgia

46 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

it helps to not want or need a/c.

without a/c it's a non issue.

An empty condo does not need a/c and leccy was still around 800 baht a month.

Fridge freezer left plugged in and probably left the balcony light on.

You not have a fridge/freezer, washing machine, kettle / coffee machine / electric showers / fans, other electrical items ?

Fair play to you if you built a tree-house and are happy.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

You not have a fridge/freezer, washing machine, kettle / coffee machine / electric showers / fans, other electrical items ?

My electricity has been approx 500b a month for +12 months.

I have 3 fans on me now. 1 is a ceiling fan. One is on all night.

I have every electrical device. 

No desire to spend next 40 years under air con. Bad for my immaculate health.

Not a tree house, maybe a modest 6m baht to buy??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

800 is way too high if nobody is home.

is gov't rate the same throughout the country? maybe left the shower water heater on, although i think it kicks off then there is no water flowing.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Do they greet people at walmart?

I am sure some do but...Not all

My sister for instance is now 70 works in medical field (imaging)

She keeps working & I ask her why?

She say's she wouldn't know what to do if she didn't work (kind of a slave mentality IMHO)

But at the same time her company uses golden handcuffs to keep her too because it is so hard to find reliable folks these days. They keep paying her more & more to stay....The older generation had that reliability show up at work daily in spades usually.

But again I retired at 54 & always ask her wouldn't she like to do something else...anything?

Folks are all different I guess. I always said work to live not live to work

19 hours ago, Elkski said:

I bet not many in my shoes who have a nice house, and Thai wife, would consider moving to Thailand. 

US citizen married to a Thai, 20+ years younger than me and has US citizenship.  I lived in Thailand for 14 years, working on an expat salary for a US company.  After retiring, we moved to the US.  Spent two years on the west coast (legal marijuana available) two years on the east coast.  Had a 200+ square meter house in both places, an SUV and a BMW sedan.  Left the US for various reasons - poor health care (I have excellent health insurance in my retirement),  everything has to be bigger and better attitude of Americans, tired of seeing obese people shoveling down gargantuan amounts of food in restaurants, tired of people driving huge pickup trucks and SUVs complaining about the cost of gas, tired of shopping mall parking lots having more handicap parking spots than imaginable due to Americans not being able to walk 100 meters, tired of the racial bickering and tired of hearing about the constant shootings being defended by gun loving fools, etc., etc.,  etc.   Following the US, we spent two years in Europe and decided to return to Thailand a year ago, and have no regrets.  I also get my teeth cleaned in Bangkok by a dentist, not a hygienist, using the latest techniques

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fortunateson said:

US citizen married to a Thai, 20+ years younger than me and has US citizenship.  I lived in Thailand for 14 years, working on an expat salary for a US company.  After retiring, we moved to the US.  Spent two years on the west coast (legal marijuana available) two years on the east coast.  Had a 200+ square meter house in both places, an SUV and a BMW sedan.  Left the US for various reasons - poor health care (I have excellent health insurance in my retirement),  everything has to be bigger and better attitude of Americans, tired of seeing obese people shoveling down gargantuan amounts of food in restaurants, tired of people driving huge pickup trucks and SUVs complaining about the cost of gas, tired of shopping mall parking lots having more handicap parking spots than imaginable due to Americans not being able to walk 100 meters, tired of the racial bickering and tired of hearing about the constant shootings being defended by gun loving fools, etc., etc.,  etc.   Following the US, we spent two years in Europe and decided to return to Thailand a year ago, and have no regrets.  I also get my teeth cleaned in Bangkok by a dentist, not a hygienist, using the latest techniques

45 yrs living in USA, and really didn't experience much of what you wrote.   People I know there, complain about inflation, but that's about it, going on with living, and quite enjoying themselves.

TBH, I can see many of them, a couple maybe, moving to TH and being happy here.  Too 3rd world and economically depressed (slum-ish).

Like their comfy lives there.  I just got bored with the place.  25 ish adult years was enough.  Same here, almost, 23 yrs, but too lazy to move one.  I'm flexible, and could live in either, I think.

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm flexible, and could live in either, I think.

I also lived in two European countries and while living in Thailand, we spend at least four months a year visiting other countries.  Place we lived in on the US east coast, people actually competed to get a “garden of the month” sign on their lawn.  

Edited by Fortunateson
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fortunateson said:

I also lived in two European countries and while living in Thailand, we spend at least four months a year visiting other countries 

Thanks ...

... reassuring to know, I chose wisely 😂