Who got bored in Thailand and went back?

georgegeorgia

I worked/lived in Manila, Singapore for years and now retired in thailand. I get bored after 3-4 months and need a reset which involves a month or 2 back in sydney (which unbores me from thailand very quickly). I could travel, or go back to PI but without friends there it would get quite lonely hence the reason why i stay in Pattaya 8-9 months per year.

You couldnt really ask for more, except as others mention the heat sometimes makes you wonder because i really miss a crisp sunrise with a warm cuppa with some fog like you get back in oz, or a quality bottle of wine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I visited Thailand many years ago with my family, 3 weeks of traveling around, loved the country, scenery, culture, food and weather.

About 8 years ago an Ozzie firefighter friend from Adeliade, called Jeff asked me to join him for a trip to Pattaya, saying “ what else are you going to do ?”

Since then I’ve been a regular to Pattaya as a total monger and throughly enjoying myself. My last trip in early 2023 got me to thinking about fully retiring in Thailand from the UK. Would I have the self control to live as an expat as opposed to a tourist. The only way to find out is to try it.

so in December I’m arriving in Thailand for 3 month stay. 
I will need to create new routines for myself and resist the obvious temptations that exist. Covid lockdowns in the UK taught me how to be comfortable in my own skin. As I write this, I haven’t left my flat since last Friday , when I had a few beers with some friends at my local. I agree boredom can be awful, in fact can lead to mental illness in extreme cases.

if my trip result in me being an idiot, then I will return to the UK, having tried but failing, back to the same old routine that is currently my life. But if successful, I’ll burn all my bridges to return and retire fully. Meet and create new friends and start a new adventure in the latter stages of my life. 

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Where did you go to drink that? The Ritz? I struggle to think of anywhere in the UK where you would have to pay £15 for a beer and a shandy. In a Wetherspoons it would be about £6 or £7, even in an expensive pub, no more than £12. Maybe you went to an exclusive club like Claridges.

Basically 2 pints. £7.50 each. Easily pay that outside london.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

I guess if you don't have enough money to go out and travel around and just do the same routine everyday you are going to get bored.  Even if you go back to your home country.

You think like that, probably because you don’t live here.

What you will find is many people crave routine.

12 minutes ago, noobexpat said:
1 hour ago, rwill said:

I guess if you don't have enough money to go out and travel around and just do the same routine everyday you are going to get bored.  Even if you go back to your home country.

You think like that, probably because you don’t live here.

What you will find is many people crave routine.

I've lived here over 10 years.

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I lived in a studio in Chiang Mai for ten years.

You have my deepest sympathies 😀😀 On a serious note, each to their own, it just wouldn't be me.

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As you say, people need to get out,

Hobbies, cycle rides, gym 3 times a week, visit places ( diesel / petrol is sooooo expensive here ) Just get off your backside and do something.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

the things enjoyed in later life are typically things from the past and experiences we had growing up. the time for learning ends, and remembering begins.

if there's nothing around that's familiar it's hard to enjoy something an older thai would enjoy, like farming, appreciating rice whiskey or moped racing.

Agreed, but if you enjoy gardening, appreciate single malts or craft beer and go cycling you'll be pretty much emulating them in your own style.

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

What's probably missing for most guys that are bored in a foreign country is a meaningful relationship with a partner.

Without that, and a determination to stay in one spot a long time, it's just a change of scenery no matter how many side trips you take.

I think being in a good relationship helps as long as it's not stifling.  I'm lucky in that respect; we give each other some room.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Some people need a spacious house, I don't. They just create more maintenance work. And bigger electricity bills.

For sure, that is why I said each to their own. I am happy tinkering and if you keep on top of it, it really isn't a hardship. As for bigger bills, mine fluctuates being 2500 - 4000 a month across the year for a 3 bedroom house, which I don't deem to be expensive.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You read all the time about houses being burgled.

I must be lucky, especially the week I went away and left the door unlocked 😀😀 Not much crime out this way, severe lack of people.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I guess I am a minimalist, I am very comfortable in my man cave.

Nothing wrong with that.

I'm one who lives in USA with my Thai wife, but reads Thai news via thaiger and AN most days. 

I couldn't imagine living in a studio or even 2 bedroom condo anywhere!  If I lived in Thailand as a married guy  I would need a house with a shop and pool.  Being married to a nearly 20 yr younger sexy gal removes much of the reason to live in Thailand IMHO.   I do miss  12$ vs 90$ massages but not the heat all year long.   I do feel safer in USA in my city than Thailand.  Roads here are dangerous enough for me.   

I have been reading AN since 2017 or so and i think its a portal into Thailand.   From what I've read and experienced in my 13 trips and much reading, I  think it's true  the golden time to retire in Thailand is past. 

I bet not many in my shoes who have a nice house, and Thai wife, would consider moving to Thailand.  Setting up a nice living situation in USA in 2023 would be very costly and take 3 times as long as in Thailand. 

I'm able to do most anything I  want here including getting paid well to do things i enjoy for people.  Unfortunately pot isnt legal in my state.  I do worry about the future of health care costs but I see that rising Worldwide and in Thailand.  I know some of you talk about excellent health care experiences there but I've only had my teeth cleaned.  It was a bad experience.  Oh the place was like a fancy day spa, the hiso Dr went to Harvard and did all the cleaning.   I dont think in Thailand the most skilled land these positions rather the connected.   2 or 3 times she got the pick stuck and had to put her foot on my mouth to retrieve it.   No ultrasonic water jet cleaner in use in this fancy 30 dentist BKK office.  While in USA hygienists do the cleaning and have been using modern equipment for 15 years.  Its  well worth 30% more in USA. 

Edited by Elkski

2 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

For sure, that is why I said each to their own. I am happy tinkering and if you keep on top of it, it really isn't a hardship. As for bigger bills, mine fluctuates being 2500 - 4000 a month across the year for a 3 bedroom house, which I don't deem to be expensive.

My electricity bill is 400 baht/ month, rising to 700 baht/month during the smoke season when I am running the aircon and two air purifiers.

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My electricity bill is 400 baht/ month, rising to 700 baht/month during the smoke season when I am running the aircon and two air purifiers.

mine is about 700-800 a month. i can see the past records on the account from the last bloke who lived here and they range from 3k -6k a month! wtf

4 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

I must be lucky, especially the week I went away and left the door unlocked 

I haven't locked my doors for the past 10 years, don't even know where the keys are.

I lock them from the inside at night, as i don't fancy to wake up with someone standing beside the bed.

But when I go out I never lock. My reasoning is that someone who wants to be inside will get there anyway, so I prefer he goes in through an open door, instead of breaking a window.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nemises said:

Will never get bored of being able to swim in a warm climate every day of the year and will never get bored of 100b foot massages. Both of these highly desired activities/pleasures are not possible/affordable in the homeland so will never go back. 

And the thought of leaving my gorgeous (20 years younger than me) medical professional GF to look for a new, much older, less attractive GF back home is out of the question. 

God Bless Thailand. 

Where on earth are you getting 100 B foot massages?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I can't say I got bored, but I went bankrupt and had to go back. So, hold back with comments about burning bridges and so on. Can't blame Thailand (well maybe some of it) Long story short I need it to go back with nothing apart from a few suitcases and my Thai wife. Airfare paid by Thai family members I only met a few times. No income in OZ no job at all and no accommodation since I sold my house and business when I moved to Thailand. So, am I poor now? No, I get a good pension and my wife makes between 40 and 50 dollars per hour. She never ever could make that in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

We are currently RVing in my home country - USA

I'm slowly adjusting to what I'm seeing....

Except for the places we've planned to visit I can't wait to get back....

Side note - I'm amazed at the amount of senior citizens 70+ still out there working that apparently can't afford not to...Their golden years being winnowed away, stolen - sad to see.....

I don't want to go off topic but not every senior citizen 70plus still working is broke , I have 10 in my workplace who are rich and still come to work, I think lonilesness I'm thinking , one guy is 81 

He turns up every morning at his 5am shift ,goodness knows why 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

People do start living the nightmare here rather than the dream, usually caused by drinking too much and doing the same things over and over bars and chasing women and money running out, then go home, where it must be worse.

Or try to live the dream opening a bar, etc, when that goes wrong head home

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I don't want to go off topic but not every senior citizen 70plus still working is broke , I have 10 in my workplace who are rich and still come to work, I think lonilesness I'm thinking , one guy is 81 

He turns up every morning at his 5am shift ,goodness knows why 

Do they greet people at walmart?