Who got bored in Thailand and went back?

georgegeorgia

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Oh come on. You need re-assurance from someone else to validate your choices? How insecure is that?

Need ... NO

... but nice to know.   Insecure is something I'm definitely not.  Hard to say that about anyone that leaves the safety net of their home country.  Planned wisely or not, which would be a different adjective.

EU/UK ... no thanks.  Czech Rep (Pilsner area) ?  S. America, too much negative press, though I did speak Spanish.  Anywhere else, and either ignorance of, or not weather friendly, including USA.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

800 is way too high if nobody is home.

is gov't rate the same throughout the country?

No idea. And the condo block may have had its own tariff. I dont remember as it was about 15 years ago.

Latest bill

IMG_1715.thumb.jpeg.98222463b42baea7eea9eab115e77982.jpeg

No real change to monthly usage. The spikes into the 700 units was due to visitors.

I suspect anyone who is in a house with a 500 baht monthly leccy bill might just be getting skelped with a rather large bill at some stage.

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

No idea. And the condo block may have had its own tariff. I dont remember as it was about 15 years ago.

Latest bill

IMG_1715.thumb.jpeg.98222463b42baea7eea9eab115e77982.jpeg

No real change to monthly usage. The spikes into the 700 units was due to visitors.

I suspect anyone who is in a house with a 500 baht monthly leccy bill might just be getting skelped with a rather large bill at some stage.

that's crazy. i lived in a two bedroom villa in chiang mai and my bill never went over 1000, and i don't conserve. i'm assuming you use a/c every day, correct?

just no a/c. maybe try hiding the a/c remote??? or a fan for every room? fans a quite pleasant with the windows open, i don't get hot at all and they run all night. also, very romantic to have blowing. you get a strong oscillating kind and it just blows over the bed.

if i needed a/c that much i would question whether thailand was for me, but it's up to you. kind of like liking wine in thailand i guess.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, bignok said:

If I was 25yo then i wouldnt care but after 40 i think being single gets boring after a few months.

IMO no foreigner in Thailand has to be single, unless they are completely skint.

41 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

that's crazy. i lived in a two bedroom villa in chiang mai and my bill never went over 1000, and i don't conserve. i'm assuming you use a/c every day, correct?

I think you will find it is pretty normal.

I told you, in 15 years here, I have never had a bill less than 1000 Baht, except when I was offshore.

Never use aircon during the day, an hour or so at night before hitting the sack in the hotter months. In the colder months none at all.

The LHG's family home is the same, 4 hour drive, different Province, anywhere between 2500 - 3500 Baht a month, just the 2 oldies and no a/c whatsoever.

1 minute ago, The Cyclist said:

I told you, in 15 years here, I have never had a bill less than 1000 Baht, except when I was offshore.

Never use aircon during the day, an hour or so at night before hitting the sack in the hotter months. In the colder months none at all.

The LHG's family home is the same, 4 hour drive, different Province, anywhere between 2500 - 3500 Baht a month, just the 2 oldies and no a/c whatsoever.

What are they doing, mining bitcoins?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 5:35 AM, WhatMeWorry said:

The best option is to spend time between Thailand and your home country. I did that for many years but now I am getting too old to jet from one end of the world to the next every year. It will soon be time to choose one as my permanent home. What to do?

You owe it to yourself to find out beforehand what a private health insurance will cost you in Thailand.

40 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

lived here over 10 years. never close to that high.

do you have a flat screen tv on all day/night?

kids leaving the lights on or watching tv all the time?

has to be something...

🤣

Edited by JimTripper

53 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

if you had a bill around 1000 and the place was empty, you need to check for someone tapping your line.

or have the electric authority run a check for a drain or short somewhere. that's not normal.

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I moved to Thailand full-time -- after 15+ years of visiting and volunteering -- because I was bored in the USofA. Also I got tired of the calculus that when you meet someone whether male or female, they run the equation in their head:

Can this person benefit me more than I can benefit them? And if the answer is NO, then it's goodbye Charlie.

In LOS nobody really knows who you are unless you want them to know who you are.

Nice to meet you, I'm Jack.

What do you do?

I think we can meet again. How does Tuesday @ 1:30pm sound?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I was bored.

Didn't admit it to myself until we decided to move back to the US after our son told us after graduating college he wasn't coming back to Thailand.

It was only after going back home where I could get a little retirement job, that I realized how bored I had been in Thailand

In my career I travelled a lot, probably spent more nights in hotel beds than my own bed, so travel doesn't interest me at all anymore. Don't play golf, not a barstool guy, and there are only so many books to read or TV to watch. So yeah I was bored.

When we were building our house it was good, gave me something to focus on, but after that I kinda fell into the doldrums after a few years.

Now we spend a few months in Thailand every year and it gives me the same thrill it did when I first visited

How old are you and what retirement job are you doing?

Had you been able to do some work in thailand, i wonder if you may have felt differently.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, JimTripper said:

if you had a bill around 1000 and the place was empty, you need to check for someone tapping your line.

or have the electric authority run a check for a drain or short somewhere. that's not normal.

He wrote: “…except when….” meaning it was at least 1000 baht when he was there. 

14 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

That does seem a lot if there is no air conditioning use included. 

21 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

An empty condo does not need a/c and leccy was still around 800 baht a month.

Fridge freezer left plugged in and probably left the balcony light on.

You not have a fridge/freezer, washing machine, kettle / coffee machine / electric showers / fans, other electrical items ?

Fair play to you if you built a tree-house and are happy.

Those other things don’t count if you are not there. Only the fridge-freezer and the balcony light. 800 baht for that seems too high. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

That does seem a lot if there is no air conditioning use included. 

Sounds like they're being diddled. I used to pay around 2,000 a month with a lot of a/c use. (around 800/month without).

Edited by Andrew65

16 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

have you checked it yet? that's not normal.

maybe a neighbor is tapping into upur line or people are coming in and using stuff when your gone. you may be getting diddled. 

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I was bored.

Didn't admit it to myself until we decided to move back to the US after our son told us after graduating college he wasn't coming back to Thailand.

It was only after going back home where I could get a little retirement job, that I realized how bored I had been in Thailand

In my career I travelled a lot, probably spent more nights in hotel beds than my own bed, so travel doesn't interest me at all anymore. Don't play golf, not a barstool guy, and there are only so many books to read or TV to watch. So yeah I was bored.

When we were building our house it was good, gave me something to focus on, but after that I kinda fell into the doldrums after a few years.

Now we spend a few months in Thailand every year and it gives me the same thrill it did when I first visited

I was reading a lot of these comments more ...thanks for being honest 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was reading a lot of these comments more ...thanks for being honest 👍

As I think back on it, I'm glad my son gave the the 'excuse' to make the move

It would be so easy to simply float along as the years go by and that sense of hopeless boredom just becomes normal.

I think I came close to that, and my sons decision saved me

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

As I think back on it, I'm glad my son gave the the 'excuse' to make the move

It would be so easy to simply float along as the years go by and that sense of hopeless boredom just becomes normal.

I think I came close to that, and my sons decision saved me

Hello GB -- You have an immediate family meaning spouse and children and maybe multiples of each. I have had neither in USA and at age 70 first time a wife here in Thailand no children now or planned.

Makes ones decision mechanism a bit different.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Hello GB -- You have an immediate family meaning spouse and children and maybe multiples of each. I have had neither in USA and at age 70 first time a wife here in Thailand no children now or planned.

Makes ones decision mechanism a bit different.

Very true

Contrary to what many keyboard warriors on here think, we all live different lives.

What may work for some doesn't work for others.

As in my case family was a major force in my life, but I don't regret anything in the past.

What many on here fail to understand is that some of us can change the direction of our lives, not being bound to something you are determined to see through to the end even if it makes you unhappy.

I'm now happier then I was in full time Thailand. We have my daughter and Thai son in Denver, my son's wife is about to give us our second grandchild. My other daughter is in San Diego, grandson is about to be one year old in December.

Life's pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1