Is friend entitled to pink ID card - How to get it issued?

scorecard

Just been talking to an old friend lives/works at a school in Phitsanalook. He's worked at the school, with work permits and aligned visa for nearly 20 years.

He's totally naive / totally lacking in knowledge re the typical Thai admin matters he should be taking care of.  He doesn't know if he has a Tabien Baan book. 

He's just discovered that some foreigners have the pink Thai ID card and he asked me if I have the pink card? Answer 'yes for well over 2 decades because I have PR'. 

He's now decided he wants to try to get a pink ID card. 

I can't give him specific answers 'how to get the card' because I got my pink card through PR. But my naive understanding is that outside of PR the pink card is issued:

- To foreigners who have some types of long-term visas.

- To foreigners who are shown as the owner on condo chanutes.

Can someone please share some specific advise in this case on 'how to get the pink ID card.'

Thanks, appreciated.

20 minutes ago, transam said:

I think the yellow book is the key, I and all my friends have a yellow book and pink ID card later. Though we are all married.  😊

Thanks. Can you pleae share the process you completed to get the yellow book? Appreciated.

(I have the Dark Blue TB book, When my PR book was issued that included being given an ID number (for non Thais, starting with eight and at the same time entry in the darkblue TB book of a friend.) 

Just now, scorecard said:

Thanks. Can you pleae share the process you completed to get the yellow book? Appreciated.

(I have the Dark Blue TB book, When my PR book was issued that included being given an ID number (for non Thais, starting with eight and at the same time entry in the darkblue TB book of a friend.) 

Blue book where I was staying, wifey's, print off pages, her ID card with print off, in my case the headman of our area was key, he came along and did his thing, gave him a bottle and 500bht. You have to fill in a question form, of daft stuff. I can't remember anything else, but the key was the headman, he has a register of names who live on his patch..

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It does not confer much more than an additional proof of domicile, it is only accepted for official ID (sometimes) in the province of issue and does not guarantee preferential treatment or rates at government hospitals or national parks.

It is an official Id document and much easier to carry around than a passport. I use it when traveling and staying at hotels which then don't (cant?) report ou as a foreigner staying there.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nonsense ,when they first came out nobody knew what they were so nobody would accept them. Banks prefered a drivers licence now they prefer a pink card. I can use it at the hospital for almost free dental treatment. I used it at a clinic when i needed a few stitches ,got the Thai rate. Getting more usefull every day.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I decided some years ago to get a pink card via the yellow book. 

I had to jump through hoops at Pattaya city hall. The cost of verification and translation of documents is not worth the small benifts the card provides. 

Ie building tax, for id,   not all government departments accept it in lui of residency certificate. Tell your friend not to bother. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, jippytum said:

I decided some years ago to get a pink card via the yellow book. 

I had to jump through hoops at Pattaya city hall. The cost of verification and translation of documents is not worth the small benifts the card provides. 

Ie building tax, for id,   not all government departments accept it in lui of residency certificate. Tell your friend not to bother. 

Some have had quite different experiences re using the card.

There was no fee to apply when I got mine but I did have to pay 20Baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, transam said:

Blue book where I was staying, wifey's, print off pages, her ID card with print off, in my case the headman of our area was key, he came along and did his thing, gave him a bottle and 500bht. You have to fill in a question form, of daft stuff. I can't remember anything else, but the key was the headman, he has a register of names who live on his patch..

Same as I said earlier, except you DO NOT need to be married.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I have lived with my GF near P'lok since 2012. I went several years ago to ask for Yellow Book / Pink Card but was told that we MUST be married. Went again three months ago, same Amphur man who said the same, but when I pulled him and showed some legislation which says marriage is not necessary, he relented and after 4 visits and one from our village head man, it was issued. Obviously Passport, TM30, Visa & Retirement Extension are needed, and GF's ID, house book. Free of charge in the end.

I faced the same barriers in Buriram.

I didn't bother to pursue it as I considered a pink card to be a 'nice to have' rather than something of major practical benefit. 8 years on and I still haven't had any need for it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Pink card for me to register vehicles, renew DL, get membership card for local ferry, check in to hotels,

That's it really, so I find it useful.  It was Mrs. B who wanted me to get it, why? "Good for you Tilak I Lub you too mut." :heart_001:.        :giggle:

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Also used it to open a bank account, at Krungsri, but I had to also show my passport.

And that in a nutshell is the issue with the Pink Card.

Having said that I have had no problem in using the Pink Card to book into 5 star hotels.But in any kind of transaction with banks such as opening accounts it's probably sensible to take the passport along as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

And that in a nutshell is the issue with the Pink Card.

Having said that I have had no problem in using the Pink Card to book into 5 star hotels.But in any kind of transaction with banks such as opening accounts it's probably sensible to take the passport along as well.

But I did need a certificate of residence. Brining my passport is a lot easier than going to get a C of R. If you're from the US, I don't you can away from the passport to open a bank account because of the US reporting requirements required of Thai banks. 

I used the pink ID to renew my driver license last time, no other documents needed, although I did have my expired license. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

A while back I opened a new savings account at K Bank to start the KPlus app. (Had to have an account my name only, cannot use joint account to start KPlus.)

At the branch I showed my passport and the officer noticed I had the pink ID card. She requesed that they use the ID number on the pink card to open the new account. I agreed and she pushed aside my passport. 

She then requested that they also update my profile details to include the pink ID card number. The lady explained that the bank prefers the pink ID card number for PR holders because the number remains valid for lifetime, whereas as pasports expire and new passport numbers must be entered when a new passport is issued.

A while later I was doing something at BBX, I asked the officer if they wanted my pink ID card number. Instant 'yes please' and the lady instantly updated my profile details and removed my passport number. Same comments as K Bank.

Two good advantages you two cite. Getting ready to move into new house with my Thai wife and Stepdaughter. I think I will get a Pink Card after the move.

• Love It 1

Banks, and individual branches of banks, may have their own 'rules'. I switched banks to Kasikorn in September, they had set requirements to open a new account - passport with visa, yellow book, pink ID card. Easy process then.

Last month the fuel pump on my motorbike died, fortunately near a repair place open on a Sunday afternoon. They couldn't source a new Yamaha one till Monday, left it there, found a motorbike rental place, not in a tourist area , the only ID they'd accept was either the Thai or foreigner pink card. Away I went on a Scoopy 24hrs for 310baht.

It's also requested on entries for running events I enter, have five between now and February and part of the online registration process.

For me, at least, useful. 

And it cost 60 baht.

2 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Banks, and individual branches of banks, may have their own 'rules'. I switched banks to Kasikorn in September, they had set requirements to open a new account - passport with visa, yellow book, pink ID card. Easy process then.

Last month the fuel pump on my motorbike died, fortunately near a repair place open on a Sunday afternoon. They couldn't source a new Yamaha one till Monday, left it there, found a motorbike rental place, not in a tourist area , the only ID they'd accept was either the Thai or foreigner pink card. Away I went on a Scoopy 24hrs for 310baht.

It's also requested on entries for running events I enter, have five between now and February and part of the online registration process.

For me, at least, useful. 

And it cost 60 baht.

More duel pricing, oh the humanity!