Carrying a Swiss Army Knife while in Thailand?

lordgrinz

Is there any issue carrying a typical Swiss Army Knife when in Thailand? I have several, keyring size 58mm versions, but just bought two (medium) 93mm versions, not sure if the 93mm versions would be an issue if carried on person?

I carry a Leatherman PS4 squirt on my keychain, not even sure if the blade on that is legal actually.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Is there any issue carrying a typical Swiss Army Knife when in Thailand?

Carrying that type of utility knife with a blade less than 3" in length would not normally be any problem if the carrying of it can reasonably be considered "justifiable grounds".  I believe that over 3" is when you may have to have a good explanation.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

See section 371 in the following link

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-misdemeanors-sections-367-374/

A newer updated version in Thai language here. Use translate

https://lawman.in.th/7117/ปอ-มาตรา-371/

Google translate:

"Section 371 of the Criminal Code
WRITTEN BY ATTORNEYMAN ON 4 MARCH 2020. POSTED IN CRIMINAL CODE.

Find a lawyer, hire a lawyer about whoever brings weapons into the city, what to do?
           Section 371: Whoever brings weapons into the city village or public road openly or without reasonable cause or take them into a gathering that has been arranged for worship Cheerfulness or anything else Must be punished with a fine not exceeding one thousand baht. and the court shall have the power to order the confiscation of such weapons.
         [Penalty rates amended by Section 6 of the Criminal Code Amendment Act (No. 22) B.E. 2015]

Civil Code Section 371

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can recall the time, many a year ago, when 

as a  regular business traveller purchased a 

full on Swiss Army complete with a four inch

blade the main purpose of which to take care

of cheese and biscuits in my hotel room.

But get this, bought it at a dedicated Swiss 

Army knife shop at Frankfurt Airport....wonder

if it is still there. 

My experience going through Thailand Suvarnabhumi airport security to international departures is that the blade 3" length limit for carryon is cumulative. If you have more than one blade in the Swiss Army knife piece, the blade lengths are added, ie., two 3" blades gives 6" - not allowed. In my case the agent mistook a nail file being same length as the 3" knife blade in the piece and not allowed. When I showed the agent the "blade" had no cutting edge and had a filing surface - no problem. 

As far as I can gather from my Thai lawyer friends and google searches, carrying any kind of knife (farm workers excepted) is illegal. 
But you can see many people with knives in their pockets (by the pocket clip showing), and I’ve seen bus boys with swords down their pant legs and others with guns stuck in their belt. 
So, I think you’re OK with a small folding pocket knife. Use it as intended, only when needed, and be mindful of your surroundings. 

Unless your in a tourist trap area where cops might look for targets you should be fine. 

43 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I carry a SA Knife while hiking and traveling. I always be sure to put it in undercarriage "cargo" baggage when flying and retrieve at baggage claim. Never had a problem..not yet anyway. 

I always carry a very basic one.  Forgot to put it in the checked bag when leaving Rio, when the lad at security saw it he got that 'child on Christmas morning' expression and that was that.  He lied about me getting it back when I arrived at my destination.  My guess is it would cost a few day's pay down there.

Edited by bendejo
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CecilM said:

As far as I can gather from my Thai lawyer friends and google searches, carrying any kind of knife (farm workers excepted) is illegal. 
But you can see many people with knives in their pockets (by the pocket clip showing), and I’ve seen bus boys with swords down their pant legs and others with guns stuck in their belt. 
So, I think you’re OK with a small folding pocket knife. Use it as intended, only when needed, and be mindful of your surroundings. 

Unless your in a tourist trap area where cops might look for targets you should be fine. 

Well, these are Swiss Army Knives, so they are mainly tools, with a blade. The blade is one of 7-15 tools on these knives, not like its the main attraction. I wouldn't categorize them as pocket knives, more like multitools. If its a problem legally, I might have to stick to carrying the small 58mm keychain ones I guess, or continue carrying the Leatherman Squirt PS4 (I don't think the knife on that would scare anyone).

5 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Well, these are Swiss Army Knives, so they are mainly tools, with a blade. The blade is one of 7-15 tools on these knives, not like its the main attraction. I wouldn't categorize them as pocket knives, more like multitools. If its a problem legally, I might have to stick to carrying the small 58mm keychain ones I guess, or continue carrying the Leatherman Squirt PS4 (I don't think the knife on that would scare anyone).

As I understand the law, it applies even to a folding pocket knife. But the chances of sthg small causing a problem are very unlikely. 

Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

Personally I have carried a pocket knife since I was about 6 or 7 years old.  I have used my pocket knifes for everything from opening envelopes to making wood shavings for starting a fire to trimming a fingernail to cutting up food.  At 81 I'm not likely to change.

If I get stopped by a police officer I will gladly pay the fine but be very unhappy if he confiscates my Case 2.5" tip to hilt locking  blade pocket knife.  Even if he does I'll simply dig out of a drawer the cheap non-locking blade pocket knife I bought from a Beach Road vendor 15 years ago.  I also have a good Swiss Army Knife in the drawer that used to reside in my carry on luggage, and have been offered a bigger one free by a friend but I refused it since I wouldn't use it.

Edited by HarrySeaman
  • Confused 1

I've always carried a knife when I travel, and before 9/11, I walked right onto airplanes with them.  I've even carried a Thai e-Nep when trekking the forests without getting a 2nd glance.

Thai laws don't define clearly what a "weapon" is, so police have a lot of discretion when they encounter Farangs with blades.  Just don't be acting like an @ss and you'll probably be allowed to continue carrying one.

Worst case, only carry what you're willing to surrender, and don't argue over a fine if you get one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

That's what made me post the question, there doesn't seem to be any detailed info on that part.

I think it's purposely left that way to allow police to have more leeway based-on the circumstances.

In English laws, there's the concept of "intent" which is used to determine whether you are simply carrying a chef knife to go work at a restaurant, or to murder a crazy 'ex'.  

• Like 1

Given the replies it’s clear a lot of guys do carry pocket knife’s / utility knives around….   
When I go the the beach etc I take a Swiss-Army (Vitrinox) knife, which can be useful (in the beach bag) but carrying one around on a daily basis seems a little excessive - is it really that useful on a daily basis ? 

Regarding the video HarrySeaman posted…

We also claret a knife in the Centre console…

It’s to cut the seat belt in an emergency & break the widow.

Could contain:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

My experience going through Thailand Suvarnabhumi airport security to international departures is that the blade 3" length limit for carryon is cumulative. If you have more than one blade in the Swiss Army knife piece, the blade lengths are added, ie., two 3" blades gives 6" - not allowed. In my case the agent mistook a nail file being same length as the 3" knife blade in the piece and not allowed. When I showed the agent the "blade" had no cutting edge and had a filing surface - no problem. 

I have been carrying one in my daypack/ backpack in Thailand for 17 years and to and from the UK annually. But I always put it in my checked baggage, never in hand luggage to risk confiscation.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

carrying one around on a daily basis seems a little excessive - is it really that useful on a daily basis ? 

But you never know when you might need it. Especially for the vital task of opening a bottle of Leo...555.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

but carrying one around on a daily basis seems a little excessive - is it really that useful on a daily basis ? 

Isn't that the point of a keychain SAK? It has like 7-15 functions other than just a knife, obviously useful on a daily basis.

11 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

but carrying one around on a daily basis seems a little excessive - is it really that useful on a daily basis ? 

Isn't that the point of a keychain SAK? It has like 7-15 functions other than just a knife, obviously useful on a daily basis.

Thats kind of the point of my question - carrying around extra items..

- I carry a very slim wallet & phone.. that’s it.

Adding a knife to that is extra weight & extra bulk in the pockets… 

To cart around my multi-function pen knife on a daily basis vs potential for needing to use it seems slim IMO… I’d probably lose the thing too….