Thailand’s proposed land bridge project could boost various sectors

snoop1130

How long does it take to sail a modern container ship from the Andamann Sea around Singapore. Bear in mind that many of the ships already making that journey are already routed further South as they cross the Indian Ocean.

Then consider the costs of docking the ship, unloading the containers onto the dock, loading them onto trains, crossing the "land bridge", loading them onto ships again and sending them off again.

The sectors which will do well are the well connected land speculators (who I suspect have already moved in), and who will be driving the campaign to build it. I should imagine the managers of budgets, brown envelope retailers and Mercedes Benz dealers are also sniffing the wind in anticipation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't get it, does it mean that containers would be unloaded on one side and reloaded on the other. Sounds a bit like wanting to become Panama without getting a Frenchman to dig the Canal. And the Malaysian peninsula isn't South America. Or did I miss something?

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

So they are going to unload containers at one end reload to a different vessel at the other end for its onward journey, surely a canal is the better option ?

All this AI flying around and still no tele-transportation. Beam me (and my containers) up Scottie.🙃🙃

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Don't get it, does it mean that containers would be unloaded on one side and reloaded on the other. Sounds a bit like wanting to become Panama without getting a Frenchman to dig the Canal. And the Malaysian peninsula isn't South America. Or did I miss something?

I think the main reason they don’t want a canal is because it would be a physical barrier dividing Thailand and i believe some Southern Muslim provinces want independence.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2023 at 8:07 AM, herfiehandbag said:

How long does it take to sail a modern container ship from the Andamann Sea around Singapore. Bear in mind that many of the ships already making that journey are already routed further South as they cross the Indian Ocean.

Then consider the costs of docking the ship, unloading the containers onto the dock, loading them onto trains, crossing the "land bridge", loading them onto ships again and sending them off again.

The sectors which will do well are the well connected land speculators (who I suspect have already moved in), and who will be driving the campaign to build it. I should imagine the managers of budgets, brown envelope retailers and Mercedes Benz dealers are also sniffing the wind in anticipation.

Yes.  The main issues are time and practicality. One previous story said this land bridge (not canal) would save 6-9 days but that doesn't fit. The time saved for trans-shipments (goods that do not originate or terminate in Thailand) would vary according to the geographical origin and final destination of same. Something like 5-6 days (minimum) would be required to unload and load container ships of medium size at the two ports, including loading/unloading on/off rolling stock and rail travel time. That's not even counting paperwork and customs checks. 

Most large ships from, say, China to India or Europe, need only about 3 days to cover the extra distance past Singapore. I can't see any economic advantage but I can see the environmental impact.

Edited by nauseus
+ (minimum)

On 11/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, Ben Zioner said:

Sounds a bit like wanting to become Panama without getting a Frenchman to dig the Canal.

They did try that in Panama........ That's how they lost Scotland, in the late 1690s...............