State of recently build condos in Pattaya, example The Base

vangrop

On 11/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, Pattaya57 said:

I doubt condo's sold at 150,000 sqm? Most Pattaya condo I've looked at seem to be 50-65,000 sqm so that's a massive difference

Now some new projects are much more expensive. At Grand Solaire on Thappraya Road the base price is 140k.sqm. on the lowest floors a dog kennel (sorry meant studio unit) of 20.5 sqm. starts from 2.87 million. Higher floors (it's 67 floors high) are 300k/sqm. in foreign quota. I've just received the latest sales matrix and there's not that many left on the high floors. 

• Like 1

Even if you rent the low build quality can be an issue. I live in an eight floor ten year old condo in jomtien. This year my balcony ceiling collapsed. 

Although the landlord rebuilt I am moving because I fear the remaining condo ceilings. When I open doors with the air con running I can hear the bedroom ceiling flex. 

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Those are vacation units with tiny floorplans, not permanent residences. AirBNB is what they should be!

Almost all condo projects have both large and small units, especially newer ones, which can have very small units.  This is not unique to Pattaya, it's the norm these days.  Lumpini Park Beach, for example, runs from  28 sqm 1 bedroom units to 3 bedroom units at 153 sqm.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Almost all condo projects have both large and small units, especially newer ones, which can have very small units.  This is not unique to Pattaya, it's the norm these days.  Lumpini Park Beach, for example, runs from  28 sqm 1 bedroom units to 3 bedroom units at 153 sqm.

From what i've seen recently, new builds are doing 2 bed at 55-63sqm at about 7m baht-ish. This is the biggest size!

LPB you mentioned is 10 years old and is that Na Jomtien?? Miles away from anywhere in demand.

Edited by noobexpat

1 hour ago, noobexpat said:

From what i've seen recently, new builds are doing 2 bed at 55-63sqm at about 7m baht-ish. This is the biggest size!

LPB you mentioned is 10 years old and is that Na Jomtien?? Miles away from anywhere in demand.

Yes, newer builds are definitely getting smaller units than even those of LPB--but offering lots of amenities to try to make up for the smaller sizes.  Saw a project in Bangkok that had 2 bedrooms squeezed into, I think, around 45 sqm.  Our View Talay 5 studios that we renovated were 48 sqm, by comparison.  The smallest unit at Northshore is a 1 bedroom at 64 sqm.  As you say, wth some newer projects that would be one of the largest units, and lkely be at least a 2 bedroom.

I'm not sure what location you consider to be 'anywhere in demand' but LPB is right next door to Aeras, a very nice, fairly new condo project, and Cetus, Riviera Monaco, Reflection, Veranda, and Copacabana are all nearby.   Nice company to be keeping.

Most of the nice, new condo projects are not being built close to the Walking Street/Pattaya Beach tourist area.  Instead, they are in Jomtien, Na Jomtien, Pratamnuk, Wong Amat and a few other areas.  Wongamat is getting Arom and Wyndham Grand.  Pratamnuk is getting Riviera Malibu.  Jomtien is getting a second Arom and a second Copacabana, plus another new big project on the old Ocean One site.  Several other mega projects are also going up in areas fairly far from the beach, including the big project across from Axis on Thappraya.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, newer builds are definitely getting smaller units than even those of LPB--but offering lots of amenities to try to make up for the smaller sizes.  Saw a project in Bangkok that had 2 bedrooms squeezed into, I think, around 45 sqm.  Our View Talay 5 studios that we renovated were 48 sqm, by comparison.  The smallest unit at Northshore is a 1 bedroom at 64 sqm.  As you say, wth some newer projects that would be one of the largest units, and lkely be at least a 2 bedroom.

I'm not sure what location you consider to be 'anywhere in demand' but LPB is right next door to Aeras, a very nice, fairly new condo project, and Cetus, Riviera Monaco, Reflection, Veranda, and Copacabana are all nearby.   Nice company to be keeping.

Most of the nice, new condo projects are not being built close to the Walking Street/Pattaya Beach tourist area.  Instead, they are in Jomtien, Na Jomtien, Pratamnuk, Wong Amat and a few other areas.  Wongamat is getting Arom and Wyndham Grand.  Pratamnuk is getting Riviera Malibu.  Jomtien is getting a second Arom and a second Copacabana, plus another new big project on the old Ocean One site.  Several other mega projects are also going up in areas fairly far from the beach, including the big project across from Axis on Thappraya.

Agree.

I think the closest new condo to central pattaya is Once Pattaya.

I went look and it was 35sqm 1 bed for 3.7m. Too small.

Even wongamat isn’t too far from central.

But it feels like these (really great) condo's on jomtien 2nd road for example, are applying central prices but not having any location premium. Not even 'beachfront'.

The bangkok model is being used. Small rooms, great facilities, high price.

That axis on thappraya isn't very old. Wonder how well its aging. Never been in there.

6 hours ago, Sqoop said:

Even if you rent the low build quality can be an issue. I live in an eight floor ten year old condo in jomtien. This year my balcony ceiling collapsed. 

Although the landlord rebuilt I am moving because I fear the remaining condo ceilings. When I open doors with the air con running I can hear the bedroom ceiling flex. 

I hope the guy above you who was sitting on his balcony having a beer is Ok 🤣

Wongamat is getting Arom and Wyndham Grand. 

Loser projects.

Went to see Ramada showroom in Bangkok. It was raining and the whole unit was literally leaking from multiple locations 

Some "nice company" to be in. Bring the umbrella.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, noobexpat said:

That axis on thappraya isn't very old. Wonder how well its aging. Never been in there.

Nice location that one, baht bus route, condos modern and if you get one facing the back would be good. Unixx also good, overpriced but cheaper than new builds

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Agree.

I think the closest new condo to central pattaya is Once Pattaya.

I went look and it was 35sqm 1 bed for 3.7m. Too small.

Even wongamat isn’t too far from central.

But it feels like these (really great) condo's on jomtien 2nd road for example, are applying central prices but not having any location premium. Not even 'beachfront'.

The bangkok model is being used. Small rooms, great facilities, high price.

Yes.  The big Bangkok developers brought their 'Bangkok model' to town when they invaded Pattaya--Lumpini, Sansiri, SC Asset, Supalai, and Raimon Land.  Some other developers, especially Riviera, expanded on the idea even more. 

We looked at the showroom models for Once sometime ago, when construction was just getting started.  One thing I remember was that they stressed that the project was only, I believe, 900 meters from Terminal 21--or something like that.  Not Walking Street, mind you, but Terminal 21.   Sort of an indication of the changing state of things--much of the new construction, be it hotels, retail, or condos, is not that close to Walking Street.  The new Centre Point Space, a prime example, and the new projects I mentioned in my previous post.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Loser projects.

Went to see Ramada showroom in Bangkok. It was raining and the whole unit was literally leaking from multiple locations 

Some "nice company" to be in. Bring the umbrella.

Huh?  How does the condition of a Ramada showroom in Bangkok have anything to do with any built or unbuilt projects in Pattaya?  Makes absolutely no sense.  You do know that many project showrooms are just temporary structures, with leaks not unheard of.  Curious your thinking on why Arom Wongamat and Wyndham Grand are 'loser projects'.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Huh?  How does the condition of a Ramada showroom in Bangkok have anything to do with any built or unbuilt projects in Pattaya?  Makes absolutely no sense.  You do know that many project showrooms are just temporary structures, with leaks not unheard of.  Curious your thinking on why Arom Wongamat and Wyndham Grand are 'loser projects'.

The showroom was not temporary. The room was in completed condo building.

Yes, projects in Pattaya are probably even worse quality, this is why I am comparing it.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, newnative said:

The older condos never had units that small. Mine the lowest is 45 sqm, the same i think with places like the VTs. It is only the ones built after 2015 that have the dog kennels of sub 30 sqm.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The older condos never had units that small. Mine the lowest is 45 sqm, the same i think with places like the VTs. It is only the ones built after 2015 that have the dog kennels of sub 30 sqm.

What I stated was 'almost all condo projects have both large and small units, especially newer ones, which can have very small units'.   Stating that older condo projects 'never had units that small' is incorrect.  For example, Pattaya Condotel, an older project, has units of 30 sqm.  Fly Bird has 26 sqm units.  Nirun, 27 sqm.  Casa Espana, 24 sqm.  Etc.

What I see with many newer projects is fewer large units, and these units are smaller, on average, than the large units of older projects.  For example, with Arom Wongamat, a new, high-end project, except for a penthouse unit, the biggest unit size is around 82 sqm, a 2-bedroom.  That size at Northshore, an older high-end project, would be a middle range one-bedroom.  Large units there are around 112 sqm for 2-bedrooms, and the B Building has full floor units of 268 sqm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Celsius said:

Yes, projects in Pattaya are probably even worse quality, this is why I am comparing it.

You have no idea of the quality of any project, be it in Bangkok, Pattaya, or anywhere else.  Saying Pattaya would be worse than Bangkok is just total, ignorant nonsense--especially since the leak was in Bangkok, not Pattaya.  But, all nonsense, any way you look at it.  No answer to my inquiry, by the way, as to why the two projects I mentioned are 'loser projects'.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

You have no idea of the quality of any project, be it in Bangkok, Pattaya, or anywhere else.  Saying Pattaya would be worse than Bangkok is just total, ignorant nonsense--especially since the leak was in Bangkok, not Pattaya.  But, all nonsense, any way you look at it.  No answer to my inquiry, by the way, as to why the two projects I mentioned are 'loser projects'.

What is your "inquiry"?

You obviously don't like the facts.

The Ramada unit I visited in Bangkok was leaking left, right and center during the rainstorm.

Yeah.... I am sure Pattaya condos are built to a "higher standard" :cheesy:

Oh, and BTW one year later many issues with "automatic" parking.

I think all forum knows you are invested up to your neck in Thai real estate and will close your eyes about the reality of real estate projects in Thailand.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Celsius said:

What is your "inquiry"?

You obviously don't like the facts.

The Ramada unit I visited in Bangkok was leaking left, right and center during the rainstorm.

Yeah.... I am sure Pattaya condos are built to a "higher standard" :cheesy:

Oh, and BTW one year later many issues with "automatic" parking.

I think all forum knows you are invested up to your neck in Thai real estate and will close your eyes about the reality of real estate projects in Thailand.

You said Arom Wongamat and Wyndham Grand are both 'loser projects'.  I wanted to know why you thought that--and don't say its because of a building with a leaky ceiling in Bangkok. 

I have no idea what you are talking about with your automatic parking comment--I've never lived in a condo that had that type of parking.  But, again, one buildiing's problem with something--common everywhere on earth--does not automatically translate to a blanket condemnation.  Remember the San Francisco condo that was tilting?  Doesn't mean all highrise condos in the US will tilt.  But, that seems to be your warped thinking.

My spouse and I have a Pattaya house and a Bangkok condo--both excellent investments that we can easily afford.  Not sure I'd call that invested up to my 'neck'.  Our investments are diversified, with cash, mutual funds, US stocks, and real estate.

• Sad 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:33 PM, JimTripper said:
On 1/2/2024 at 12:21 PM, Sqoop said:

Expand  

I hope the guy above you who was sitting on his balcony having a beer

His concrete balcony was fine, it was all of the plaster board and metal supports that collapsed. But on a 10m balcony that is quite a crash. 

1704376302265.jpg

1704376281591.jpg

Edited by Sqoop
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

His concrete balcony was fine, it was all of the plaster board and metal supports that collapsed. But on a 10m balcony that is quite a crash. 

1704376302265.jpg

1704376281591.jpg

I'm getting a bit of that as well where I am, but since my lease is up soon it's not really my problem as long as it does not collapse. I think it's water damage related.

IMG_0394.jpeg

Edited by JimTripper

On 1/2/2024 at 8:34 PM, Celsius said:

You are posting nonsensically again…

• Like 2

Owning dozens of units over the years I've consolidated all my ownership into VT (5C/D only now) buildings. Best retention (and appreciation) of value and best actual "care" of any I have been involved with. Low maintenance fees (no wasted funds on fountains you don't actually "use" but look pretty, etc.).

The new buildings are all ticking time bombs ordered on wish (dot) com. 

Edited by Aviatorhi
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Aviatorhi said:

Owning dozens of units over the years I've consolidated all my ownership into VT (5C/D only now) buildings. Best retention (and appreciation) of value and best actual "care" of any I have been involved with. Low maintenance fees (no wasted funds on fountains you don't actually "use" but look pretty, etc.).

The new buildings are all ticking time bombs ordered on wish (dot) com. 

I have a pal who has done he same in VT6, ticks a better 'location' box I believe. 

51 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

The marine environment in Pattaya also has a factor on construction failing, particularly if it's poor quality materials that are used which is normally the case.

Noooooo

Please delete for defamation and newnative trigger reply

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2024 at 12:03 PM, Just Curious said:

Higher floors (it's 67 floors high) are 300k/sqm. in foreign quota. I've just received the latest sales matrix and there's not that many left on the high floors.

This is the classic bull that so many dumb foreigners are actually believing it.

All these "sold out" units start to magically appear few years later.

Now, why is that? If you don't know the answer, I do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Celsius said:

This is the classic bull that so many dumb foreigners are actually believing it.

All these "sold out" units start to magically appear few years later.

Now, why is that? If you don't know the answer, I do.

Living high up is also over rated, as is sea view, both get old quickly

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1