State of recently build condos in Pattaya, example The Base

vangrop

19 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I doubt condo's sold at 150,000 sqm? Most Pattaya condo I've looked at seem to be 50-65,000 sqm so that's a massive difference

Hipflat says that current sales price is 120K sqm

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/projects/the-base-central-pattaya-zuiltg

DD Property has multiple listings around that price

https://www.ddproperty.com/ขายคอนโด/ที่-the-base-central-pattaya-เดอะ-เบส-เซ็นทรัล-พัทยา-3899

33 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Hipflat says that current sales price is 120K sqm

Your link has a nice chart showing average price for the Base. I still don't know what they are getting for 120,000 sqm cost. That should be a penthouse somewhere 

Could contain:

Edited by Pattaya57

17 hours ago, Sigmund said:

I had many electrical issues also in that almost new house with bulbs fusing almost each time I switched the lights ON

try slightly unscrewing a couple of the bulbs on that circuit/area two get a smooth light flow, get rid of flickering, fusing. it takes load off the circuit.

of course, that means you live with less light. nothing in life is free. 🤣

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Appears to me that the base is an airbnb trying to semi operate as a hotel without maybe having the regular maintenance performed as expected in most hotels with near daily turnover and owners who are not anxious to lay the $$ out.....i thought the Edge was better building all around but i think they do try to somewhat control the airbnb brigade of daily rentals.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

A lot of people getting ripped off then 😉

I recall chatting to a guy who paid 7k a month rent. Up to him, if he's happy then i'm happy for him.

First thing he said to me, when i told him mine "you are getting <deleted> ripped off, tell the owner to go <deleted> himself.

Hmmm !

Edited by metisdead
Profanity edited out.
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I recall chatting to a guy who paid 7k a month rent. Up to him, if he's happy then i'm happy for him.

First thing he said to me, when i told him mine "you are getting <deleted> ripped off, tell the owner to go <deleted> himself.

Hmmm !

Many noob expats start with high rent then over time realise they can pay a lot less

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many noob expats start with high rent then over time realise they can pay a lot less

Thought i'd start low to err on the side of caution. Did plan to move to rama 9 in bkk, but couldn't stand the traffic.

Rent will increase next year, owner said so, in advance. No problem with that.

Edited by noobexpat
spelling

On 11/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, Pattaya57 said:

I doubt condo's sold at 150,000 sqm? Most Pattaya condo I've looked at seem to be 50-65,000 sqm so that's a massive difference

Lots of Pattaya condos are over 100,000 baht a sqm., especially new and high-rise.   The Edge, next door to The Base, at one point was priced at around 180,000 baht a sqm. during the pre-construction period.  Hipflat still has it at 178,888 baht per sqm.   

We actually were one of the first owners of a 1 bedroom condo at The Base and rented it out for a year.  But, we could see the Airbnb problems arising and sold it after the first year of owning it. 

I think the OP's experience is not typical for most condos that have avoiding becoming Airbnb hotels.  We have owned at a number of different projects and most were being maintained fairly well.  I think some of the new projects, that have been really slammed with Airbnb tenants and, really, have been used essentially as hotels, without the much higher maintenance a hotel requires, have started to show some of the effects.

• Like 1

I should add that the OP is incorrect about both the age of The Base and its original average price per sqm.  As I mentioned, my partner and I were original owners of a top floor seaview 1 bedroom unit, 35 sqm.  We paid 3MB for the unit.  That works out to about 86,000 baht a sqm., not 150,000 baht.  We sold for about 122,000 baht a sqm. and Hipflat has the current average price per sqm at around 120,000 baht a sqm.  

One thing in Thailand is that the reale estate owners selling property (houses or condos) just do not supervise the work of their painters or electricians.

The finish is often very bad quality and the problems start to show barely one year after completition and after you have paid of course.

No matter how costly or luxurious the project may be - the work is very often crappy so watch out. Rent, don't buy. Leave if you see bad workmanship as it could end up in a short circuit or fire in the premises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noobexpat said:

Thought i'd start low to err on the side of caution. Did plan to move to rama 9 in bkk, but couldn't stand the traffic.

Rent will increase next year, owner said so, in advance. No problem with that.

So you’ve started low and you’re staying at the same level new year too. Gotcha! When are you thinking of moving to your usual standard? What do you have now? Ocean view, mountain view or a view of your neighbours?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I lived in The Base right after they opened.  28th floor nice view and the location was fantastic.   But yes,  it did deteriorate mostly due to the short term rentals.   And yes, the construction workmanship and quality of materials are poor.

But,  can anyone tell me where they are high end and lasting?  Even places like Northshore do not seem that great.  Just seems kind of standard practice in Thailand.  Hiring cheap unskilled foreign labor doesn't help much either, but they have little choice it seems.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I lived in The Base right after they opened.  28th floor nice view and the location was fantastic.   But yes,  it did deteriorate mostly due to the short term rentals.   And yes, the construction workmanship and quality of materials are poor.

But,  can anyone tell me where they are high end and lasting?  Even places like Northshore do not seem that great.  Just seems kind of standard practice in Thailand.  Hiring cheap unskilled foreign labor doesn't help much either, but they have little choice it seems.

For me, The Base was always 👎 

But there are always those attracted to ‘shiny and new’, blind to it’s very obvious realities. 

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Ah, The Base... What they didn't ruin in the construction phase  they ruined with Airbnb over-usage. It's about the last place I'd buy a unit at.

The location is great, obviously, but that's where the greatness ends.

Location is only great for tourists and newbies, usually people want to move further out after a while

• Like 1