Old condo buildings in Pattaya. Do you live in one?

advancebooking

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

I bought mine 17 years ago and i think i broke even about 7 years ago. So not only am i living rent free for ever i have a valuable asset i own. Renting is a mugs game.

Yea I bought in 09, lived there for many years and now have rented it out for many years. Next month I will list it. It is a great place and a rare two bed two bath right in the centre (near Avenue an Sai 2), so it will be with a tear that I part ways with it but I am off in the jungle now and this is where I will stay for the next phase. Owning is the way to go, imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

they crawled out of the elevator when it was between floors through a gap?

would never do that. crazy dangerous. the lift could have slipped or shifted and cut them in half.

True, crazy to risk climbing through a gap, staff should know better

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arick said:

That's why you would never buy a condo in Thailand why would you buy a condo you'd have to live for 30 years in that condo even to break even with your money back just rent

people gambling that the price will always go up and they would break even sooner

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

You're doing the wrong calculations. Ok, let's say 1m to buy. 10 years later, maybe 500k to sell. So it's cost you 500k. Plus annual fees. 10 years rent @ 12k pm minimum, averaged out on your 6k. 1.44  million over 10 years in rent. You're down 940k.

Moral. Don't look to getting all, or even any, of your money back. Living a decent life costs money, most of which you won't see back. But hey, that's life. Enjoy it while you can.

you have a decent life renting as well, so there's no benefit there to buying.

investing that 1m that's not locked up in a property makes a renter not really down 940k, in fact they would probably break even with the buyer, as long as they don't lose deposits etc moving around.

advantage to the renter is they can move at will.

the buyer is just sitting in the same place for the 10 years.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Had the decent life renting, have had a better life owning. Benefits are multiple. Mainly, I like having my own place fixed up the way I like.

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Evidence suggests you may simply be a Rum Tum Tugger:

The Rum Tum Tugger is a terrible bore:
When you let him in, then he wants to be out;
He's always on the wrong side of every door,
And as soon as he's at home, then he'd like to get about.
He likes to lie in the bureau drawer,
But he makes such a fuss if he can't get out.

—T. S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

I've very much enjoyed living in my same comfortable place for more than 10 years. I ain't going anywhere.

These threads always bring our Little Miss Muffets out of the woodwork counting their Fools Buy Real Estate, Condo Glut, and CONDO CRASH IMMINENT! rosary beads in their fleabag rented rooms.

But the short-sightedness! You should know that a foreigner needs to cover ALL the bases. You never know what more nasty surprises THEY have in store for us!

So we should always teach our poor noobs the classic, street-smart ANF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand, distilled over many years from the sage advice of our shrewdest, most knowledgeable members.

1. Never invest in anything you aren't ready to lose;

2. Never own more than you can carry with you or leave behind;

3. Keep your suitcase packed at all times.

There. All any foreigner needs. Now, enjoy! Yawn.

Quoting one or more of the Laws gives you ten (+10) instant points of valuable ANF Posting Cred™ from the peanut gallery. I think you deserve +5 anyway.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Your talking about a cheap shoe box, decent condo like mine 100sq m 2 bedroom and hugh balcony with partial sea and pool views good location rents start at 25,000 a month here, since mine is fully renovated with new western furniture not your Thai big C stuff 30,000 a month wouldn't be far off the mark.

We are all different, I like the idea the place is mine and I have security, apart form the 55B per sq m fee per year and 600 city council tax that's it low costs with some peace of mind, I personally hate paying rent....yes im well aware that condos dont appreciate well here and I took that into consideration, bought as corvid was finishing the cost of buying in here has risen I did dropped over a million on a full reno so im still behind but then again I thought if I ever got my money back if I sold id count myself lucky, its all about how I live right now that's important to me, at my age im unlikely to pack up and leave but you never know, can always rent it out from where ever you are in the world...

Quality condos will always sell and are always in demand. If one is stupid enough to buy in a building with 300 x 30sqm apartments for sale, yes you will find it hard to sell. I have been looking around for a second condo and its basically impossible to find a gem under 6-7m baht. Unobstructed Sea view condos are rare and command a premium, as well as 2 bed, 2 bath condos over 80sqm unless you want to travel far down jomtien. Corner units are also a premium as you double / triple your light and view.

UWGQ9435.thumb.JPG.3203e188942b714af86edfc1d635a875.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Had the decent life renting, have had a better life owning. Benefits are multiple. Mainly, I like having my own place fixed up the way I like.

Evidence suggests you may simply be a Rum Tum Tugger:

The Rum Tum Tugger is a terrible bore:
When you let him in, then he wants to be out;
He's always on the wrong side of every door,
And as soon as he's at home, then he'd like to get about.
He likes to lie in the bureau drawer,
But he makes such a fuss if he can't get out.

—T. S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

I've very much enjoyed living in my same comfortable place for more than 10 years. I ain't going anywhere.

These threads always bring our Little Miss Muffets out of the woodwork counting their Fools Buy Real Estate, Condo Glut, and CONDO CRASH IMMINENT! rosary beads in their fleabag rented rooms.

But the short-sightedness! You should know that a foreigner needs to cover ALL the bases. You never know what more nasty surprises THEY have in store for us!

So we should always teach our poor noobs the classic, street-smart ANF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand, distilled over many years from the sage advice of our shrewdest, most knowledgeable members.

1. Never invest in anything you aren't ready to lose;

2. Never own more than you can carry with you or leave behind;

3. Keep your suitcase packed at all times.

There. All any foreigner needs. Now, enjoy! Yawn.

Quoting one or more of the Laws gives you ten (+10) instant points of valuable ANF Posting Cred™ from the peanut gallery. I think you deserve +5 anyway.

2 hours ago, lextsy said:

Glad you touched on this point but interesting you see the advantage to the renter. The reason why i like to own a condo here is the fact i cannot be kicked out by a landlord when he wants the place back and i can have all of my stuff here, pretty much as simple as that.

Quality mattress, 85" wall hung tv, one piece slab dining table, proper size fridge etc etc. Its a home and there in lies its advantage. @noobexpat Is right in the fact you could have better gains investing elsewhere but the point is about lifestyle however saying that if the option was to rent vs buy youd still be better off buying over the long term.

in fact, i'm thinking of doing that very thing run tum, just not in thailand. need to do it in home country where it's stable and not subject to visa and tax policy hassles that put it at risk. also, i want land in my name only and not just a condo.

i want to own something that's completely mine free and clear. no loans. no co-owner. no hoa. no condo board.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

in fact, i'm thinking of doing that very thing run tum, just not in thailand. need to do it in home country

Exactly. It's stressful to heed the ANF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand all the time. One of our ANF Poster Longevity Principles is to avoid the kind of stress you've been suffering for so long. Or any stress, actually, especially the worst of all: diet and exercise. Horrors.

Home country, never need to worry about tax policy, no hassles there with your high untaxed income Thailand is threatening. I've already suggested to you the paradise of The Villages, ideal for your mindset (and for many others here as well):

The grass is always a deep Pakistan green. The sunrises and sunsets are so intensely pink and orange and red they look computer-enhanced. The water in the public pools is always the perfect temperature. Residents can play golf on one of 40 courses every day for free. Happy hour begins at 11 a.m. Musical entertainment can be found in three town squares 365 nights a year. . . . .There’s no (visible) poverty or suffering. Free, consensual, noncommittal sex with a new partner every night is an option. There’s zero litter or dog <deleted> on the sidewalks and hardly any crime and the laws governing the outside world don’t seem to apply here. You can be the you you’ve always dreamed of.

—https://www.buzzfeed.com/likethebreadorthedressing/seven-days-and-nights-in-the-worlds-largest-rowdiest-retirem

Pickups for the recreational activities, scheduled for you, always plenty to do, security out the wazoo. When are you leaving, finally? You seem perpetually sitting in the same old bathwater. The Villages, waiting.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

in fact, i'm thinking of doing that very thing run tum, just not in thailand. need to do it in home country where it's stable and not subject to visa and tax policy hassles that put it at risk. also, i want land in my name only and not just a condo.

i want to own something that's completely mine free and clear. no loans. no co-owner. no hoa. no condo board.

That is exactly right, own your own piece of land in your home country where-ever that is. In thailand a condo is the prime option. No reliance on thai, thai lawyers, own name, sea views all for 1/10th of the cost of back home. For those who already have their own homes paid off this is the logical next step.. the holiday home in p*ssy island

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Exactly. It's stressful to heed the ANF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand all the time. One of our ANF Poster Longevity Principles is to avoid the kind of stress you've been suffering for so long. Or any stress, actually, especially the worst of all: diet and exercise. Horrors.

Home country, never need to worry about tax policy, no hassles there with your high untaxed income Thailand is threatening. I've already suggested to you the paradise of The Villages, ideal for your mindset (and for many others here as well):

The grass is always a deep Pakistan green. The sunrises and sunsets are so intensely pink and orange and red they look computer-enhanced. The water in the public pools is always the perfect temperature. Residents can play golf on one of 40 courses every day for free. Happy hour begins at 11 a.m. Musical entertainment can be found in three town squares 365 nights a year. . . . .There’s no (visible) poverty or suffering. Free, consensual, noncommittal sex with a new partner every night is an option. There’s zero litter or dog <deleted> on the sidewalks and hardly any crime and the laws governing the outside world don’t seem to apply here. You can be the you you’ve always dreamed of.

—https://www.buzzfeed.com/likethebreadorthedressing/seven-days-and-nights-in-the-worlds-largest-rowdiest-retirem

Pickups for the recreational activities, scheduled for you, always plenty to do, security out the wazoo. When are you leaving, finally? You seem perpetually sitting in the same old bathwater. The Villages, waiting.

that's a retirement community...i don't like neighbors and that's the biggest HOA situation i can imagine...

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

i don't like neighbors...

That's in Thailand, where the Thais tend to live (surprisngly enough). You don't like them.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:58 PM, JimTripper said:

no longer want to be around thai people.

I'm finding them annoying and just not enjoyable to interact with. They seem to be in a rush, stressed out, etc. Is it time for me to move?

And they surely don't like you.

That problem all goes away in The Villages. NO Thais. If you lived out in the sticks, you'd whinge about boredom, as you do now. You want service, at your door, plenty of things to do. People enjoyable to interact with, not in rush, not stressed out. Quiet, discreet. Close your curtains, and you're alone—or in private with a babe enjoying some o' that free pussy.  

Enough with the excuses.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

that's a retirement community..

Yes, exactly what you need.

50 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

that's the biggest HOA situation i can imagine...

Which you also need, to protect yourself from yourself. With all those stressful decisions that you'd make wrongly already made for you in your own best interests, you can just relax and enjoy the amenities.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, lextsy said:

Glad you touched on this point but interesting you see the advantage to the renter. The reason why i like to own a condo here is the fact i cannot be kicked out by a landlord when he wants the place back and i can have all of my stuff here, pretty much as simple as that.

Quality mattress, 85" wall hung tv, one piece slab dining table, proper size fridge etc etc. Its a home and there in lies its advantage. @noobexpat Is right in the fact you could have better gains investing elsewhere but the point is about lifestyle however saying that if the option was to rent vs buy youd still be better off buying over the long term.

Totally agree with your post.  And, there's nothing stopping a condo owner from also investing in other financial investments besides the condo he/she has purchased.  You're allowed to walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

investing that 1m that's not locked up in a property makes a renter not really down 940k, in fact they would probably break even with the buyer, as long as they don't lose deposits etc moving around.

Not necessarily true that a condo buyer '...is just sitting in the same place for the 10 years.'  My spouse and I have been in Thailand since 2010 and we have owned condos and moved around in Pattaya from one owned condo to another eleven times, plus 2 moves, so far, in Bangkok.  Not to mention our initial move from a condo we owned in Rayong to Pattaya.

Certainly, one can stay in a single place, if that's what floats your boat, but owning has never kept us from moving when we wanted to try a different area.  Or, in the case of the Bangkok moves, from a smaller condo to a bigger one closer to the MRT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Yes, exactly what you need.

Which you also need, to protect yourself from yourself. With all those stressful decisions that you'd make wrongly already made for you in your own best interests, you can just relax and enjoy the amenities.

you sound confused

• Sad 1

On 11/6/2023 at 9:09 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

You're not living in a condo. 

You are renting an apartment. 

Yes. A 5-floor townhouse, in fact. But benefiting from all the amenities (pool, gym, garden, security, concierge, ...). A pretty neat deal, I think.

1 hour ago, arick said:

The main question of this article and the topic should be why the hell would anybody want to live in Pattaya unless your from <deleted> hole 

Plenty of reasons 'why'.  If  you actually lived here, rather than, perhaps, just visited the tourist spots, you'd know why lots of people choose to live here, rather than anywhere else in Thailand.  My spouse and I could certainly live anywhere in Thailand--we have a Bangkok condo and spend time in Bangkok now and then--but we choose to live in Pattaya full-time.  It just suits us better than anywhere else we have been in Thailand, for a variety of reasons 'why'.  As a growing city, apparently many others feel the same way.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 9:14 AM, LALes said:

30 year old building in Jomtien built like a brick sh*thouse!!  I would never live in a new building here.

If I recall correctly, the price of concrete tripled about 2009.  Anything built since then, I wouldn't trust.

We've had to fight management tooth and nail to get things done but we've managed to get the elevators

and the pool renovated.  Next up, a new paint job.  We pay extra assessments for these projects but boy,

that is money well spent.

Who are the "management" you had to fight? Surely the co-owners (via the Committe) decide what needs to be done. If the management company don't comply then fire them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Who are the "management" you had to fight? Surely the co-owners (via the Committe) decide what needs to be done. If the management company don't comply then fire them.

A lot of the condo management companies are like mafia, once they get into a building they are almost impossible to remove, they control the meetings, the proxy votes etc. renovations get done by the the management companies other companies.

11 hours ago, arick said:

The main question of this article and the topic should be why the hell would anybody want to live in Pattaya unless your from <deleted> hole 

Outside of the sexpat sois, its no different to the rest of Thailand, with a bit more western infrastructure.

• Like 1