Proof of onward-travel required at land-borders when entering Thailand without a Visa?

It is very clear that it is required to have proof of an onward flight to an international destination within 30 days of arrival, when entering Thailand by air without a Visa. 

True, it is seldom checked by Thai border-immigration when arriving at one of Thailand's main international airports.  But that is most probably because the airline is required to check whether you have such an onward flight reservation when you are boarding your flight with final destination Thailand.  And yes, some airlines do not check this. 

But considering that being denied boarding due to not having such onward flight reservation, it is highly recommended meeting that requirement. 

= = =

Also it looks that the requirement is mainly enforced (by the airlines) on long-haul flights, and that for short flights from neighbouring countries into Thailand that it is almost never checked. 

But what about entering Thailand without a Visa using a LAND-BORDER? 

I have never heard of anyone being refused entry for not meeting that proof of onward travel requirement, when entering Thailand VisaExempt using a land-border.

So I presume that onward-travel requirement is only enforced by the air-lines on long-haul flights. 

Is that correct, or can you be denied entry for not meeting that requirement when arriving by air from a neighbouring country or when entering via a land-border?

Edited by Red Phoenix

Never been checked at a land border in 20+ entries - not so many in the last few years though

All long haul check-in staff have checked for onward ticket and I have had to buy a last minute 1000 baht throw-away ticket. Annoyingly some don't understand that stamps can be visas and are not always full page visa stickers. Nearly denied with a non-B with a few months remaining. They shouldn't be allowed to deny people even with less than one month remaining - they don't realize that the employer takes you to renew extension. Carry work permit is an option, but doubt anyone outside of Asia would consider it a valid document.

Anyway, back to your question.  Neighboring countries is tricky. Most airlines/countries check onward ticket at the desk. Online check-in method used to deny me (non-ASEAN passengers?) a boarding pass at machines >> head to check in desk, to get your passport/visa checked. Thai wife always no problems getting a boarding pass at machine. Recently I have noticed the machines in some countries giving me the boarding pass - without having to go to the desk. So if you have no check in bag, this is a useful way to avoid onward ticket check.

• Thumbs Up 1

It really does depend on your visa history, if you do the occasional land/air entry your unlikely to be asked however if it's clear that you are living here by doing numerous in/outs via land or airport in order to extend your stay (nothing wrong with this as I spent years doing it) then a I/0 is more likely to scrutinize your history and could ask to see the 20 000

It is important to appreciate that (unlike not having cash) lack of an onward ticket is not one of the valid reasons for denial of entry under Section 12 of the Immigration Act. Instead, back in the distant past, here was a directive that went out that those arriving should be able to show an intent to leave the country (not overstay). A credible itinerary was always supposed to be sufficient without an onward flight. Airlines have tended to insist on the onward ticket (or ask you to sign an indemnity form)  because "credible itinerary" is not easy to measure objectively. At almost all land crossings (at least for Westerners) there has never been any attempt to interrogate new arrivals on their travel plans.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, oscarsmum said:

At Sungai Kolok NZ friends were asked to provide proof of 20,000 baht. They had to travel back to town and locate a ATM. It can happen. 

Were they also required to show proof of onward-travel plans (e.g. an onward flight reservation booking in less than 30 days after their VisaExempt entry)?

54 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Were they also required to show proof of onward-travel plans (e.g. an onward flight reservation booking in less than 30 days after their VisaExempt entry)?

They had a 60 day visa. And a ticket back to NZ. The 20,000 baht request was a first for them at that border. 

• Thanks 1

When I entered at Sungai Kolok this year, they had a sign up that listed all the requirements, including the flight ticket out but it seems this is only actually asked if they are considering denying you entry. Aranyaprathet, where I cross the most has no such sign, so I was a bit surprised. I also only got 15 days at SK but always get 30 at Aranyaprathet.

Also, nice to see that many airlines seem to have stopped asking you for an onward flight if you don't have a visa. This year so far, I had flights ending in Bangkok on Oman Air, Thai Lion Air & Singapore Airlines and none of them asked.

The onward/return flight within your initial 30-day entry is an official rule for visa-exempt entries but I've never known it applied by immigration by land or air. I've discovered that the airline check-in screen has entry requirements supplied by IATA which is where the airlines get their information. So, whether you are asked to show an onward/return ticket depends on the check-in agent and has nothing to do with airline policy. I've recently returned from Malaysia with my wife and son and they were both denied boarding until they produced their Thai passports (I had a re-entry permit) - we had all been travelling on UK passports from Perth WA. So, whether it's a long or short-haul flight there is always a chance you will be challenged. Now the airlines have a responsibility to return you to your departure airport, at their cost, if you are denied entry at Thai immigration. I always recommend buying a temporary ticket online. The last time I bought one it was just $12 and was a genuine ticket that was valid for 48 hours so I bought it the day before travelling to Thailand but I was never asked for it. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

The HUGE difference between flying in and coming via land is if you are denied entry after flying in, the airline will have to fly you out again (at your cost), whereas at a land border if you are denied entry, you are just pushed back over the border (totally free).

My girlfriend (who is from the Phillipines) is usually asked to show an onward ticket when entering Thailand by land.  I'm American, and I've never been asked to show an onward ticket at a land border.  We both have a similar extensive history of visa exempt entries.  So it definitely depends on your passport.