4 Hurt As Ambulance Jumps Red Light And Hits Pick-Up Truck

webfact

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

It should be made safe to proceed, as others are obligated to give way for an emergency vehicle.

I think GREEN means GO in most countries, and emergency vehicles may pass a RED light when there are no vehicles facing the Green ones.

1 hour ago, cracker1 said:

I think GREEN means GO in most countries, and emergency vehicles may pass a RED light when there are no vehicles facing the Green ones.

Yes but not at 90kms!! You must ensure it is still safe to proceed. Especially in Thailand!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So people that give way, does not do that to the one who has the right of way? did you just post that?

We are talking about who has the right of way through a red light.

answer is no-one, not even an emergency vehicle.

As a courtesy they are "permitted" to go through a red light "with caution" this is not a right of way.

Should an emergency cause an accident while doing so they will be held liable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Limited cities have traffic light control for emergency vehicles... 

12 hours ago, worrab said:

If a police car goes through a red light and hits another car, its driver doesn't have any special rights or privileges when it comes to liability. They can be held to account just like any other driver causing an accident.

Your reading and comprehension has failed you and  do not support your FALSE statement... according to your own source and several others an emergency vehicle does have the right of way and only needs to show that "obeying the normal rules would likely hinder the response"... which if shown gives them the absolute right of way.

11 hours ago, worrab said:

Many thanks and there are those who still seem to think the Emergency Vehicle has absolute priority no matter what!!

It does... you forgot to read or do not understand that the only burden on the emergency vehicle is that  "The driver must be able to show that obeying the normal rules would likely hinder the response to the emergency..."

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

It does... you forgot to read or do not understand that the only burden on the emergency vehicle is that  "The driver must be able to show that obeying the normal rules would likely hinder the response to the emergency..."

They do not have absolute priority!! If they get caught up in a line of traffic at a red traffic light and they are unable to cross over to the other side of the road, then it is siren off and wait until the lights go green. Then they can weave their way through the traffic to carry on the emergency run. They cannot force traffic to go over the white line at a red traffic light, hence siren off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2023 at 7:31 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

In most countries flashing lights and sirens DO give emergency vehicles the right of way

Not in the UK, emergency vehicles must proceed with utmost caution at junctions and traffic lights and must not exceed 10 percent above the speed limit. You don't just drive out at speed and expect other vehicles to make emergency stops

• Like 1

Clearly the pickup hit the ambulance - not the other way around.

Looks to me that Somchain (in pickup) was doing his usual and driving dangerously fast.

He probably did not even see the ambulance with its lights on etc. until just before he hit it - they never do.

I dont want Thailand to become like Australia with speed cameras everywhere - that is for sure.

But they gotta nail these Somchais driving their pickups like they did when on their scooters - dangerously fast. 

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Looks to me that Somchain (in pickup) was doing his usual and driving dangerously fast.

He probably did not even see the ambulance with its lights on etc. until just before he hit it - they never do.

I dont want Thailand to become like Australia with speed cameras everywhere - that is for sure.

But they gotta nail these Somchais driving their pickups like they did when on their scooters - dangerously fast. 

Just because the pickup hit the side of the ambulance does not put the pickup driver at fault. It is more likely that the ambulance driver just drove into the path of the pickup and the pickup driver had no time to stop. Sirens are difficult to hear when coming from the side as you approach a junction and blue lights can't be seen if there are buildings in the way so advance warning is often not possible for other drivers. That is why emergency vehicles MUST proceed with extreme caution and slow or even stop at traffic lights and junctions until the other traffic sees and hears them and gives way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I disagree. Yes, the pickup t-bones the ambulance because the ambulance driver has done a right almost in front of him. Neither could see the other because of the traffic waiting at the lights. But it is the ambulance who makes the manoeuvre that causes the accident. The pickup is simply driving in a straight line towards, and through, a green light. Yes, as has been noted here, colour of lights is pretty damn meaningless here and people go on whatever colour they choose. The ambulance is going through a red light. But if you're going to manoeuvre left, right or whatever, it's incumbent on you to make sure the way is clear, it's safe, given the driving conditions, and that those in front of you, behind you and beside you, are made aware of your intentions well before execution.

I had a head on collision on Chelsea Embankment with a guy who did a right in front of me. It happens very fast. Headlights where there shouldn't be headlights and from 30mph to 0mph in 10m. My cab was almost totalled. £15k to repair. They called it 50/50. My witness didn't want to appear in court although he made a statement at the scene supporting my version.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, RobU said:

Just because the pickup hit the side of the ambulance does not put the pickup driver at fault. It is more likely that the ambulance driver just drove into the path of the pickup and the pickup driver had no time to stop. Sirens are difficult to hear when coming from the side as you approach a junction and blue lights can't be seen if there are buildings in the way so advance warning is often not possible for other drivers. That is why emergency vehicles MUST proceed with extreme caution and slow or even stop at traffic lights and junctions until the other traffic sees and hears them and gives way.

I hear you - BUT - the reason (besides the hit) I say that is because the other cars were stopped at the lights - Somchai just went stright through. I would not be surprised if he saw the green lights and went upo the inside (at speed). But I am only surmising - as are you. In my experience 'Somchais' are extremely dangerous drivers that in the West would eventually be caught and locked up and vehicle confiscated.

18 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I hear you - BUT - the reason (besides the hit) I say that is because the other cars were stopped at the lights - Somchai just went stright through. I would not be surprised if he saw the green lights and went upo the inside (at speed). But I am only surmising - as are you. In my experience 'Somchais' are extremely dangerous drivers that in the West would eventually be caught and locked up and vehicle confiscated.

Referring to Thais as "Somchais" is highly derogatory.

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2023 at 7:31 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

In most countries flashing lights and sirens DO give emergency vehicles the right of way

Total nonsense, flashing lights and sirens warn other road user, and allow emergency vehicles to treat a red light as a give way, and can only proceed when safe to do so.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 8:55 AM, Gottfrid said:

Yes, it does in most countries! That´s kind of why they have flashing lights and sirens, for other motorists and pedestrians to give way for them. Also, can find a lot in the name emergency vehicle.

Total nonsense, flashing lights and sirens warn other road user, and allow emergency vehicles to treat a red light as a give way, and can only proceed when safe to do so.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 10:27 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

I couldn't find that restriction in any case law... would you please show your sources.

Exemptions from Road Signs

Police, fire and ambulance can exceed the speed limit if it would hinder progress.  This includes ambulance rapid response units operated under the NHS.

Police, fire, ambulance, bomb disposal and blood service can drive through a red traffic light and disregard a keep left sign if it would hinder progress and can be done so without endangering anyone. A rule of thumb is that a red traffic light should be considered as a give way sign.

Police, fire and ambulance can stop on zig-zag lines at the side of the road but no exemption is given for crossing double white lines down the middle of the road.

Sometimes emergency vehicles may need to disobey other signs and regulations. This will depend on the professional judgment of the driver and they could be liable for prosecution if the act was not proportionate to the circumstances.

Road signs can be disregarded by anyone if directed to do so by a police constable in uniform. This gives police drivers the opportunity to give themselves permission to disregard a road sign.

References
Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 Section 87
The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002
Keep left: Section 3(15)(2)
Double white lines: Section 4(26)(5b)
Zig-zag lines: Section 4(27)(3c)
Red traffic light: Section 5(36b)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Sources please... I have researched it and you again are completely off the rails...

I passed the UK EFAD course over 35 years and did regular refreshers up to a few years ago.

Have driven fire trucks, water tankers, cars, landrovers, turntable ladders and hydraulic platforms, on blue lights hundreds if not thousands of times.

Your experience and qualifications? Zero I bet.

I will quote the Uk reference for you again.

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 Section 87

Exemptions from Road Signs

Police, fire and ambulance can exceed the speed limit if it would hinder progress.  This includes ambulance rapid response units operated under the NHS.

Police, fire, ambulance, bomb disposal and blood service can drive through a red traffic light and disregard a keep left sign if it would hinder progress and can be done so without endangering anyone. A rule of thumb is that a red traffic light should be considered as a give way sign.

Police, fire and ambulance can stop on zig-zag lines at the side of the road but no exemption is given for crossing double white lines down the middle of the road.

Sometimes emergency vehicles may need to disobey other signs and regulations. This will depend on the professional judgment of the driver and they could be liable for prosecution if the act was not proportionate to the circumstances.

Road signs can be disregarded by anyone if directed to do so by a police constable in uniform. This gives police drivers the opportunity to give themselves permission to disregard a road sign

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

I passed the UK EFAD course over 35 years and did regular refreshers up to a few years ago.

Have driven fire trucks, water tankers, cars, landrovers, turntable ladders and hydraulic platforms, on blue lights hundreds if not thousands of times.

Road signs can be disregarded by anyone if directed to do so by a police constable in uniform. This gives police drivers the opportunity to give themselves permission to disregard a road sign

Spot on Exactly as I understood it although I never took the course

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Link please... Half of what you copied and pasted contradicts your stance on the matter... I would like to read the whole thing.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Link please... Half of what you copied and pasted contradicts your stance on the matter... I would like to read the whole thing.

Why do you need a link? All the relevant sources have been quoted go look for yourself

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest Skipalongcassidy, I think that somebody like Georgealbert is going to know a great deal more about this subject than you ever will. Why not just accept the facts as they have been explained to you and look into the relevant sources that have been supplied.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Go back to your bar stool, you may find someone who is impressed with your BS.

Leave facts to those that have the knowledge, training, skills, qualifications and experience

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, worrab said:

To be honest Skipalongcassidy, I think that somebody like Georgealbert is going to know a great deal more about this subject than you ever will. Why not just accept the facts as they have been explained to you and look into the relevant sources that have been supplied.

To be honest worab... you have no idea... so far no link to his information as he claims has been forthcoming

13 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Where are the relevant sources posted... 

If you Google these you will find out why Georgealbert knows what he is talking about!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, worrab said:

If you Google these you will find out why Georgealbert knows what he is talking about!!! 

These are UK regulations not worldwide regulations... plus right there in the body of what he is pushing there is a clause that allows for emergency vehicles to take the right of way if the situation warrants it

• Confused 1