The Met Police WON'T ban Poppy Day pro-Palestine rally

CharlieH

15 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is not suggested that people do not do any of the things which you list. You exaggerate in a pretty obvious attempt to deflect from the arguments.

What is suggested is (not unreasonably under the circumstances), that demonstrations are not held on the Saturday and Sunday which together, this year, constitute Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday. Most years Armistice Day (the 11th) is separated by several days from Remembrance Sunday. By long standing tradition they are not associated with political activity.

The suggestions are not "right wing" or Zionist dog whistles. The preceding three weekends have seen a series of demonstrations, each more vitriolic and yes, at times, violent. There have been chants calling for genocide  - let's be honest, that is what "from the river to the sea" means. It is a slogan adopted if not coined by Hamas, whose founding charter calls for genocide of the Jews, and a task upon which they enthusiastically and with obscene inhuman savagery embarked upon a month ago. The Home Secretary is absolutely correct in describing them as "hate demonstrations". There have been attacks upon people who have ( in my opinion) been foolish enough to attend such marches with Israeli flags, or placards supporting Israel. A war memorial has been defaced (Rochdale), statues vandalised ( Central London), a Policewoman videoed taking part in the chanting - has any action been taken, likewise the train driver who misused his train PA system to lead chants whilst driving his train. The Police have arbitrarily closed down a demonstration portraying the hostages taken by Hamas (including children and babies remember) on mobile billboards on the specious grounds that it was likely to lead to a breach of the peace.

There is a very real possibility, indeed likelihood, that there will be violence this weekend. Elements, quite sizable ones, within the demonstrators are spoiling for a fight. They are being benignly treated, in my opinion, by a politicised Police Force which is hostile to the Home Secretary and this government.

Seems reasonable to have strong opinions about a nation that bombs 10 year old children to bits in their home.

If certain people don't want demonstrations about it, just stop the bombing, turn the power on, and allow water and medical aid in.

Complaining about demonstrations while bombing schools and hospitals sheltering those who's homes got blown up is the height of hypocrisy, IMO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The demonstration organizers are now predicting attendance to be as high as 500,000, which would make this one of the largest political demonstrations ever in the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/pro-palestine-march-will-be-one-of-uks-biggest-ever-protests-organisers-predict

Here's a list of some of the largest marches etc. in the UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom

Organizers estimates vary greatly from police estimates. Organizers have a vested interest in inflating the numbers. 500k got a good ring to it, I'll admit. Catchy. Interesting what people choose to march for.

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

Here's a list of some of the largest marches etc. in the UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom

Organizers estimates vary greatly from police estimates. Organizers have a vested interest in inflating the numbers. 500k got a good ring to it, I'll admit. Catchy. Interesting what people choose to march for.

Thanks for the reminder of the long and proud history of public protest in the UK.

The right to peaceful protest is a cornerstone of British democracy, very rightly defended and often used to positive effect.

Here’s another:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/uk-hospital-workers-protest-outside-no-10-against-deaths-of-medics-in-gaza

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Wonder how many demonstraters will be calling out to kill Jews.

Thank God the USA has  the 2nd Amendment

“Thank God the USA has  the 2nd Amendment”

So that the people calling to kill Jews can have guns?

Perhaps you should be more thankful for the first amendment.

Regardless, these demonstrations are taking place in the UK.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well that’s one twist on reality.

Israel are in Gaza hunting down the people that participated in the Terror attack .

The peaceful protestors want Israel to stop their campaign to bring the terrorists to justice 

How is that a twist on reality ?

If Israel stops its campaign, then the terrorists will be free 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

Israel are in Gaza hunting down the people that participated in the Terror attack .

The peaceful protestors want Israel to stop their campaign to bring the terrorists to justice 

How is that a twist on reality ?

If Israel stops its campaign, then the terrorists will be free 

It’s a twist that ignores the well publicized calls to end the even better publicized killing of civilians.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Another baseless accusation and a slur Jonny.

I have never denied antisemitism exists anywhere.

I don’t label tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of demonstrators anti-semites on the basis of imagined numbers amongst them who might be anti-semites.

Just as I don’t argue for the restriction of fundamental democratic rights to peaceful protest because a minority that includes counter protestors might engage in non peaceful protest. 

So once again Jonny, away with you and your slur.

You mean there are fine people on both sides?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The civilians in Gaza have been asked to leave the area , if the civilians moved away from the terrorists, they wouldn't get killed 

The displaced could be granted refugee status by Suella Braverman.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JonnyF said:

Yet you continue to support these hate filled, often violent and anti semitic marches under the banner of free speech.

You are fooling nobody. 

I support the right to peaceful protest, I have clearly stated those who break the law should be arrested.

What I don’t do is characterize all protestors as anti-semites, violent or filled with hate.

• Like 2